Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Feb 18, 4:38 AM
    • 1,463Posts
    • 14,602Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 7th February 2018
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:38 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 7th February 2018 7th Feb 18 at 4:38 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 21,158 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Happy Birthday JackieO,sounds like you have a nice day planned.
    Csarina glad OH is feeling better.

Its a gorgeous day here but very cold.It snowed nearly all day yesterday but didnt stick on the roads.Still a bit on the park and the ground is frozen-good no soggy paws and muddy boots.Ly1a loves rolling on the ground when it's like that
    Enjoy Bobby,dumpling
    DGC tonight I might make a sausage plait as I have puff pastry to use up.I made some pea and camembert soup yesterday after my friend told me she had it at their church cafe,I'll finish the rest at lunchtime.Got a recipe off the internet.
    Right I shall carry on with my cleaning-have a good day x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 16,117 Posts
    • 70,031 Thanks
    Judi
    Happy birthday JackieO . I hope you have a lovely day.

Time to count my blessings today. I went for a walk this morning. Wish i could have taken my hounds but they arent up to it these days.

I am blessed by the countryside i have around me.

Blessed by the warm shower i needed when i got back. I was frozen stiff.

Blessed by knowing my bills are all being paid.

Blessed by my health and health of my family. I know my eldest boys are sailing a bit close to the wind but all is well right now.

Lastly, i am blessed cause my coat fit me better than it did on Saturday. Near starvation for a couple of days works...

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,643 Thanks
    JackieO
    whiteguineapig I didn't know that I will investigate as every little helps

Judi it looks gorgeous there, and its sometimes nice to actually count the good things in your life that you are bleesed with. Please don't starve yourself though the odd cuppa and cake has medicinal purposes at times when things go wrong
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Elona
    • By Elona 7th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    Elona
    JackieO

Glad that you are having a good birthday.

I need to go and volunteer at the library this afternoon and warn them I cannot do two weeks ahead as it is a DD's birthday and we are planning a shopping trip. Just had a bowl of lamb stew and have some left for tonight before going to WI.

csarina

I am glad DH is feeling a bit better and hope he gets his appetite back soon.

Hugs to all
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 31,767 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Without intending to do so I have ended up lurking and not posting very often. A combination of lack of spoons, very busy days (for me) and too much going on, then add in another head cold into the mix.

Wishing JackieO a very happy birthday, and pleased to hear that your OH is on the mend Csarina and that life will be a lot easier for you.
    Dumpling great news about the little Westie, my best friend has one who comes to stay with us from time to time and Miss Border Collie goes there for a holiday sometime too Judi lovely photo, although I live in a small town we are surrounded by beautiful countryside.

It has been a "proper winter's day" so far, cold and frosty start and lots of sunshine and blue sky, does the heart good.

Hugs and spoons, stay warm and snug everyone.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 7th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. Just popping in to say Happy Birthday to JackieO. Hope you are having a lovely day.

I've been back at the foodbank today for the second week running. DH has been looking after DGS and taking him to nursery for 1.45. I took a sabbatical when DD accepted an extra session on Wednesday mornings last September.

Beef and mushroom pie for dinner this evening, with new potatoes and vegetables. Must go and make the pastry in a bit.

Hugs to poorlies and worrieds. Have a good afternoon.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 40,499 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon all - and a very happy birthday to JackieO!

Woke up to a deep frost this morning, the world looked beautiful from my window though we were in minus figures for temperature. I was up and out by just gone 8a.m. for the drive to Oban. Roads were mostly fine though there was at least one car in a ditch being attended to by police.

My meeting with my colleague was really good, the teaching went really well and my next meeting with my staff member was so much better than the one last week. All good.

Judi - love your view and really love your post. Sometimes it is too easy to focus on what's wrong without sparing a thought for what's good.

I've lit the wood burner and am really enjoying the heat. Tea time and then I'll be watching some trash telly.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 10,470 Posts
    • 114,345 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Just popping in the wish a rather late Hoppy Birdday to Jackie.

Dumpling how lovely that Max will have a permanent playmate; Westies are fantastic little dogs - huge personalities in little packages. I've looked after a fair few of them over the years - 'twas a naughty Westie who had my kitchen bin all out over the kitchen floor.

Must go; I want to try and get in a bit of time on the WiiFit before dins.

Still no sleep at night - I may try and sleep on the sofa tonight, in desperation. Mr LW won't like it, but I can't go on like this.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 7th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 10,071 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Happy Birthday Jackie O, have a lovely day.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 20,016 Thanks
    csarina2
    Well we are doing quite well. OH managed to walk round the village ti=his afternoon without his stick!! We are getting there at last.

Quite a few people at the coffee morning so plenty of chat........

Saw C in our neighbours garden, she was weeding in our garden when we got back, OH supervised the emptying of the manure bags on the raised beds.

Its been a lovely sunny day, but quite cold, we enjoyed our walk.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 40,161 Thanks
    Floss
    LW can't Mr LW sleep on the sofa if he's causing your loss of sleep? xx
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 7th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Happy Birthday Jackie I hope you have had a lovely day.

We got back from Truro last night. Thank you for all the house hunting vibes. We have had an our application accepted subject to references. We should get the keys the week of 5th March.

It isn!!!8217;t furnished, so I need to get some serious charity shopping done in the week before we move in. Needs to be very MSE as we will be leaving most of the stuff here for AirBnb.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

JackieO, I hope you have had a lovely birthday

Judi, what a glorious view. There is a lovely thread “5 O/S Pleasures....” where people list the little things & some not so little, that have brightened their day or brought a smile to their face It is very uplifting, as even those who have more troubles than I could cope with, can still manage to find some little pleasures in their day.

FurryBeastOz, congrats on your good news & I hope that your cs visits are fruitful

csarina2, glad OH is finally on the mend hopefully less work for you & time to look after yourself.

Dumpling, what a lovely thing to happen Bobby will have a wonderful life with you to look out for him

Hard Up Hester, it made me tired just reading about your ‘average day’ I hope you find some time for yourself

Nelski, keep up the good work

My day was spent continuing with the clothes sorting - washing etc, ironing & putting away, Rag bagging & sorting for cs bags. Now only have 3 x two feet high piles of clothes to sort BUT have about a four foot high pile of washing to do (as I got distracted by the airing cupboard) I think once the towels are washed I will discover that 50% of them are not fit for purpose so I think a donation to Mudchute Farm for lambing season is likely

My DH engineered a ‘piece’ to help him ride his motorbike more comfortably, as he still has problems bending his knee nearly 7 years after his accident (nearly lost his leg in Scotland but the care he received in Scotland & then the op at The Royal London & all the aftercare from the NHS meant that he kept the leg & only has a slight limp & less flexibility in the knee joint - our biggest blessing)
    Then he put up the new blind & new curtain pole in the spare room. Only the new light fitting to put up & a new carpet to be purchased - tomorrow’s main task is shopping for carpet, sofa(s) & taps - so we get to test his handiwork on the bike

All in all, a good day but still seriously behind on the decluttering & decorating

Sorry to have blathered on!

Hope the ‘Sandman’ does his job properly tonight

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,643 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums, well what a smashing day I had had with my lovely tribe. I have been thoroughly spoiled by them, from my grandsons upwards.

My eldest grandson phoned me from New York bless him, and we had a long natter via Whatsapp.

My eldest DD and my son-in-law are flying out to see him and his wife on Friday for a week. Their last trip was sadly cut short in October because my son-in-laws Dad, our brave fighting Frank was so ill.

So this holiday although they are looking forward to it is a bittersweet one for them all. But Danny says he will make sure his Mum and Dad have a good trip.

DGS Ben phoned from Uni in Norwich and said he was sorry not to be home to have some of my DD's HM birthday cake, He graduates in May and then he is hoping to start his PGTC in September.

DGS Jack bought me a lovely strawberry prosecco candle and room diffuser Eldest DD got me the jigsaw table that I wanted and youngest bought me so many bits and pieces from chocolate to smellies and some gorgeous coconut shampoo and conditioner plus a brand new purse as my old red one was falling to bits. She also gave me a lovely jug to put by my TV with some artificial lavender in it which she had sprayed with lavender oil.

All in all I have had so many things, I am indeed a very loved old lady and I feel so blessed to have so many good friends and family.

But best of all is the warm welcome I get from my DGS whom I adore and they got so excited to just see me walk through the door tonight I am indeed a very lucky ,loved old Granny

Thank you all for my birthday wishes you too are I feel part of my tribe ,although I have not met many of you, but the friendship we all share enforces to me that there are a lot of smashing people in the world and the news just focusses on the baddies and not the good ones

Much love to you all,

cheers chums

JackieO from a cold and icy Kent xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,409Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin