Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Feb 18, 4:38 AM
    • 1,400Posts
    • 13,745Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 7th February 2018
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:38 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 7th February 2018 7th Feb 18 at 4:38 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 13,745 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    Morning everyone .

Happy birthday Jackie, , I hope you have a good day and enjoy your time with your daughters.

Iím back to the back to the not sleeping club. I should have known that there would be a payback for a good nightís sleep yesterday .

Iíve been reading and surfing the internet for a while. Iíve just made a cup of tea and Iím going to take that back to bed in a minute, read for a bit longer and see if I can doze for a while.

Having spent yesterday pottering and doing housework I really feel I want to get out of the house today, even if it is a walk up to the town and back. It does look like there is quite a hard frost again this morning.

Ideally, if it isnít too slippery out I would like to have a walk around the park for some fresh air. I want to get a couple of things from the supermarket as well.

There is a portion of the lasagne I made yesterday left over, so Iíll have that for dinner rather than freeze it. I have some salad bits that need using up as well, so Iíll have that with it.

I need to make an appointment for an eye test. I have broken my computer glasses so I am using my reading glasses to see the computer screen. I know that my vision has changed, but new glasses are so expensive.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Feb 18, 5:43 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:43 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:43 AM
    Morning all and Happy Birthday to JackieO, hope you have a great day.
    I'm working for a bit this morning and then taking back some of the time owed for extra hous at work.
    No snow this morning but cold, so the pavements should be safe.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 7th Feb 18, 6:19 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 19,213 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:19 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:19 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's another chilly morning but the snow didn't settle yesterday so I am a happy bunny. Planning a nice day in the warm with a good book and lots of cups of tea.

Hoping that Becky goes into school today, she didn't make it on Monday so I will be really trying to persuade her it's a good idea to just try. I get that it's hard for her especially after having so much time off but she has her heart set on being a scientist so she needs an education. I will book a taxi for her to see if that will help.

Finally had some good news last night. I don't know if anyone remembers but I dogsat a little westie a few weeks ago. I totally fell in love with him and anyway, long story short, he is coming to live with us from today . I am changing his name slightly to Bobby and Max already gets on really well with him so hopefully there won't be any problems there.

Tonight I am going to cook a roast chicken and do a tray of roast root vegetables to go with it. I am going to try Slimming World again as I have a years subscription to the programme so it seems silly to not use it. I have already had my porridge for breakfast and will make a baked potato for lunch. I believe my friend is coming over so I will stick another spud in the oven for her too.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JackieO, hope you have a fantastic day and get really spoilt xxx
    Sorry you are back to not sleeping Holly, as someone who has been up since 3am, you have my sympathy. I will try and grab a nana nap a bit later on, hopefully you will get some sleep too xx
    Enjoy your bit of time off AOD and don't work too hard this morning xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 41,591 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly as he'll want a lift when I leave for work so he can go to the gym.

Still dark, we did have a dusting of snow late last night/during the night but it seems to have disappeared almost but it's now icy too - so not nice walking or driving conditions.

Dinner last night was pork chops, mash, veg and gravy - I can safely say they were some of the worst pork chops I've ever bought, cooked or eaten, they only got eaten because everyone was hungry and I didn't have anything else to organise quickly to replace them, won't bother buying them again. I did remember to take some chicken out to defrost for tonight's dinner, that will be served with country sauce, mash and veg or I may do HM egg and veg fried rice as a change.

Work yesterday was manic, we had another person off sick, and we were really really busy, we managed most of the morning, then I rang and begged for another member of staff to ease the pressure and reduce the waiting times, luckily I did get another member of staff, but I was shattered when I got in last night. I called in at mum and dad's en route home, all seems as ok as it can be there. Today I'm working all day but then on days' off until Monday - I can't wait, but have a lot to do as Friday the new boiler is being fitted so that will be a day of not being able to do what I would normally do, washing, drying, ironing etc as they may need the electric/water turned off at some point. It'll be worth it in the end.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Feb 18, 6:42 AM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 26,413 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:42 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:42 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. A stupid night for me too I seemed to spend it clockwatching and waiting for a sensible time to get up. What a beautiful sky when I first looked out - the moonlight reflecting on the lying snow and hundreds of stars twinkling. I could even see the thermometer outside the kitchen window - minus 3!!

Happy Birthday to JACKIE have a lovely day in the company of your DD's. Hope there is lots of cake!

The kitchen man appeared on time and, oh dear, I think we will be tightening our belts even more than anticipated! Quite a few changes planned to give us more cupboard/storage space including the dishwasher being moved to a more sensible position. He seemed to have rather grand ideas which I tried to over-rule politely! Anyway he has taken all his diagrams, photos, measurements etc away and will contact us when it's all on computer and he can give us an estimate! I shall be bracing myself for that!

I have a hair appointment today for a much needed salvage operation, after hacking bits off myself. I relented and rang the hairdresser who stood me up in the snow! Easier than trying to explain to a new hairdresser what I wanted doing!

We have the 3 DGDs here for tea (all arriving at different times after their various dance classes etc) and then the usual sleepover in readiness for tomorrow's school run. Yet to christen tea but think it will probably be something and mash. No sausage in the freezer but can get some after the hairdressers I suppose.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely who want them. Take care all xx ps TRU love the sound of the beach hut!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 45,295 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    Morning All

Cold this morning but no more snow thank goodness. The wind seems to have died down too, that made it feel even colder.

Washing up to date, just folded one lot, will do the other when I get back, it's not quite dry yet. DW can go on later too, not enough time this morning.

Getting my eyebrows done later, I can barely lift them! Also need to call at DDs to pick up some food they will have left, they fly out this lunchtime. It's not far from work so wont take long. May go to visit a poorly colleague whilst I'm that way.

Happy Birthday JackieO, have a great day with your DDs.
    As RR said earlier TA, try going to Ikea to do one of their plans for kitchens, really good even if you don't buy from them.

Have a good Wednesday everyone, take care. XX
    • tru
    • By tru 7th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 8,628 Posts
    • 44,256 Thanks
    tru
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    Morning

Happy Birthday JackieO

Floss thanks for the desk idea from Ikea, I didn't know you could mix and match like that. I spent far too much time on their website yesterday and I still can't decide, there's too much choice

dumpling Fab news about Bobby, how exciting

Now I've made a decision about the room, I couldn't wait to get started so have been crocheting triangles for the bunting

Yesterday got colder as the day went on, it snowed tiny flakes for most of the day but didn't settle. The weatherman called it a flurry, I call it a sparse fluttering. It's very cold this morning and is frosty. The first of two loads of washing is in the machine, I really need to de-fur the sofas, clean the kitchen floor and sort some seeds for planting. Miss tru will be home at about 1.30pm for lunch, we'll be watching the last two episodes of season 2 of Stranger Things. Not sure what our wednesday viewing will be after that, I would like to watch Hemlock Grove again but she doesn't think she'll stomach it Ė werewolf transformations and vampire dinings are very graphic

Bulletproof
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    • 6,645 Posts
    • 92,467 Thanks
    redruby
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    Morning all

Running late so just a quick one to wish JackieO a Happy Birthday
    I hope you have a lovely day and are very spoilt xx
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 7th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

Looks cold out but no snow.

I have work and bits housework to do - change bed linen and hang up a load of washing over airer.

Tea tonight Turkey casserole cooked in the SC. I find my slow cooker brilliant and time saving.

Happy Birthday JackieO. Hope you have a wonderful birthday

Have a good day all x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • corrieflash
    • By corrieflash 7th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    corrieflash
    Morning

Happy Birthday JackieO
    Have a lovely day
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 29,633 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all

Happy Birthday JackieO. I hope you have a lovely day. I know your lovely family will do their best to spoil you.

I'm off out today. First to slimming world with friends (I have to go to class, doing it alone never works for me - I need to be accountable to someone other than myself), then I'm going for lunch with one of them. My friend also needs new trainers so we'll have a walk around the shops. I don't need anything but it's an indoor walk and every little helps.

It's frosty here so not looking forward to losing the feeling in my hands while scraping the car, but I think it's only the fourth time that I've had to do it this winter so it could be worse. I'm so looking forward to warmer weather as we move closer to spring.

Take care all of you.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 5,073 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Happy Birthday JackieO, have a great day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 7th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Good Morning all
    Happy Birthday Jackie O Have a lovely day with you fab family i know they will spoil you
    Well snow has arrived in Essex overnight and Dolly had a lovely walk this morning she was very bouncy kicking up the snow she is off to the groomers today but is just chilling now on her bed
    Dumpling thats lovely news for you all and lucky Bobby
    Not much happening here managed to get a great price for a holiday to Vegas in November never been before but at the price i couldn't turn it down so now i will be checking out all the saving advice whilst we are out there as this was supposed to be a quick getaway
    Dinner tonight steak pie for the men with roasties n veg and chicken breast n cauliflower rice for moi
    Have a great day stay safe and warm x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 12,401 Posts
    • 39,260 Thanks
    Nelski

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jackiemum have a lovely day special lady and hope you are spoilt rotten Ill have a drop of Gin to mark your day

So cold here the heating is going no where near it at the moment. Had a better day with mum yesterday. She is exactly the same as usual but I am working hard to let it all go over my head. I was talking to one of the customers I coach the other day and I was preaching my favourite mantra that "you can't change a persons behaviour but you can change how you respond to it" I realised I needed to practise what I preach when it comes to mother. So I smiled sweetly and didn't rise to any of the digs which made the day a lot easier. Cant promise it will last though we shall see.

Was going to make some HM doner kebabs today but I have no pitta breads in and don't really want to shop till Friday so Ill grab something else out the freezer instead. boiled egg with soldiers for brekky

Dumpling enjoy your new family member
    Holly I dont know how you cope with so little sleep maybe some time outside in the fresh air will help.
    Tru one of my goals has always been to own a really pretty beach hut which I doubt will ever be reality but your idea for transforming your room into one is amazing hope we can have piccys

Have a great day all especially Jackie xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 24,865 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Many happy returns of the day JackieO hope you have a lovely time with your family x

It was snowing when we went to bed last night and there is still a bit lying around, it's very cold.
    Yesterday was successful in that we picked up some smashing curtains for the dining room, they as heavier so will aid in keeping the room warm and look very nice. We also picked up some new shades for the overhead lights and moved the crystal/chandelier type ones up into our bedroom, they look much better in my boudoir
    Today I have a friend coming to mine and then we are driving on to meet up with another pal to take her out for lunch, she can't drive at the moment due to health problems and has booked a table for lunch at a pub in her village, will be great to catch up on all the news.

My DOH has some leftover pasta bake in the fridge, will see how hungry we both are later and if we want much supper.

Welcome to little Bobby, hugs to all with sleep problems, keep warm and safe folks x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 44,361 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to those in need, happy birthday to JackieO
    Well let's see if my kindle will let me post this morning.
    I have a boat clean to do, some babysitting and CHS needs a lift to work. I also need to do a pile of washing and fill the water tank up, fill the coal bucket, sort the stove out, make up some meals for CHS lunches and sweep, dust and mop the boat. Just an average day on the cut then.
    I'm desperately trying to finish a blanket and also make some cloth shopping bags,, they won't get done today.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 15,755 Posts
    • 133,845 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and thank you all for my birthday wishes ,I am such a lucky lady to have so many friends both in the RW and on here in the 'virtual 'one. I had so many card to open this morning and my youngest Dd is coming to visit me today as its her day off and I am going to dinner at their house tonight, so will see three of my handsome grandsons.

Eldest DD Shelley is coming after work finishes at 4.00.and I believe my DGD Holly is going to pop in at some point today as well.

DGS Danny will facetime me later from NYC its only 4.00 am out there at the moment so he will be fast asleep.

The snow arrived around 3.30 this morning as when I looked out it looked really pretty, but its not too deep, and will be gone mostly by lunchtime hopefully. The roads are clear at least, and its only slightly thin covering on the paths.

dumpling my DD has a rescued westie called Ted and he is a real little character and full of charm, the family all dote on him, her middle aged Jack Russell Lexi looks at him a bit distainfully at times as he is very energetic, and she is far more staid but they get on well together and are company when the family are out.

Every day the days are getting longer and closer to spring and lighter evenings thank goodness. I'm sure we will soon be complaining about the heat

Right time to get the coffee on,thanks again chums for your birthday wishes its very kind of you all

Take care and keep warm if you can

JackieO xxx

Thanks Nelski a drop of decent gin will make things seem so much brighter and think of it as a medicinal aid to help you cope with your Mum, xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 07-02-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year Three months totals £96.53 April £8.98 . this morning short shop was 5.62 only bought essentials
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 19,503 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Happy Birthday Jackie, hope you have a lovely day with your family.

OH continues to improve, its the coffee morning at the little chapel so will be walking round later.

We were forecast a frost last night, but it did not come, sun is shining but its brrrrr. I left the heating on when we went to bed, had to get up and turn it down, it was too warm.

I need a trip to Aldi, the chiropodist is coming at 10.am tomorrow, will get her to do me first and then I will hop off. Need milk if nothing else...my neighbour also needs a couple of things from Morrison so will do that at the same time. I do not know why but I seem to have the same amount in my shopping basket every two weeks as if I went once a month. I really need to do a freezer audit and see just what I can use up now OH is slowly getting back to normal. His food preferences are really coming to the fore, some things disappear at the speed of light, others end up with him leaving some, he has to get over this, one thing drives me nuts is faddy eating!!

Bed changed yesterday, need to iron it sometime today, or it will be Friday before I get round to it.

Spad bol for supper tonight, have to cook the sauce, will see how much of that he eats!!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Happy birthday JackieO, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Jackie you have mentioned that you have a few loyalty cards that give a "treat" when its your birthday, just wondering if you have a Bodyshop loyalty card which gives a £5 treat on your birthday? (I got some nice conditioner with mine this year)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

8,330Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin