Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tcem
    • By tcem 6th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 4Thanks
    tcem
    Advice re charging order West Bromwich bs
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    Advice re charging order West Bromwich bs 6th Feb 18 at 10:11 PM
    Hi I am after a little bit of advice on behalf of someone who I think, has buried their head in the sand! Do not yet have the full picture but as I understand it at the moment :-
    Couple separated then divorced in very early 90s. He moved out of home which was then subsequently repossessed. From what I can gather he has been paying/paid his share of the shortfall ex wife then died building society then came to him for the balance. He didnít pay it and it looks like they have put a charging order on his current home which was previously owned by his current wife solely and then transferred into joint names in 2007. The charging order is dated 2009. I need more information from him regarding dates but we have read somewhere about there being a time limit of 12 years for which a building society to come looking for you for the debt. Is this right? They have never received any statements from the bs involved, but have today been in touch and requested one.

I have a copy of the title register which shows the charging order registered and a reference. Does anyone know where I should be able to get a copy and which should hopefully shed more light on the debt. Will it be the court?

The couple are in their early 70s and as I said have unfortunately buried their heads and have no idea what they are doing what they are paying for or even the amount outstanding so any advice would be welcomed. Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Feb 18, 10:24 PM
    • 58,490 Posts
    • 51,854 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:24 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:24 PM
    The original mortgage debt was joint and several. If the ex wife failed to settle her agreed share of the outstanding debt. Then the lender can pursue the other party. The charging order is legally enforcable. There's no time limit. As there's a third party involved then the lender has decided against enforcing the order until a more appropriate time.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

875Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin