Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ivebeenhad
    • By Ivebeenhad 6th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ivebeenhad
    Online purchase gone wrong
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    Online purchase gone wrong 6th Feb 18 at 10:11 PM
    Sorry if this has been asked before but this sites so huge I don't know where to look.

I bought some boots for 47 from an online store which had .uk at the end of the site name so I assumed in was a Uk firm. The price said it included post costs and made no mention of any extras. I paid by credit card.

I Later saw the transaction go though at 53. I queried this with them and had a reply in bad English saying it was a 'conversion charge'. At this point I realised I was dealing with China!

Surprisingly, shoes did arrive from China but nothing like the nice posh boots I ordered. Just a cheap pair of trainers 2 sizes too small.

I will contact them via the site and complain but am not hopeful re outcome. Do I just have to chalk this up to experience? The amount is too small for the credit card transaction to be protected. I hate to think of others getting conned, can I least report the site to someone? The site was landscapersinscarborough.co.uk
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 6th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    You really thought that was a good site to buy shoes from?

Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.
    • Ivebeenhad
    • By Ivebeenhad 6th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ivebeenhad
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    Sarcasm not required. I did it in haste as had searched for a particular product and found it there. As soon as the wrong money went through I had doubts.

I am already beating myself up. Please don't join in, esp on my first post!

Thanks for the tip on chargeback, I hadn't heard of that and thought I had no rights with it being less than 100.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 6th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 10,948 Posts
    • 23,535 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    You really thought that was a good site to buy shoes from?

Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.
    Originally posted by dj1471

I agree.

Surely the bad english would have been enough of a warning.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    "Posh" boots for 47? You already knew you were dealing with China before going ahead with the purchase.

In many instances people deserve protection when they have been true victims, but why on earth should the banks be automatically responsible for people's stupidity.

Even if the bank did entertain your claim you would have to show that you had taken steps to resolve the issue yourself, possibly including returning the shoes to China. Have you contacted the seller?
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    "landscapersinscarborough.co.uk" doesn't appear to be valid domain.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 7th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    "landscapersinscarborough.co.uk" doesn't appear to be valid domain.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    The OP had one s too many.

http://www.landscaperinscarborough.co.uk

Ivebeenhad, whatever you decide to do, contact your card issuer asap and report your card details as having been compromised and get it cancelled.
    I've just done a test purchase and the site isn't secure so your psyment details could have gone anywhere.

Didn't it sound any warning bells, buying shoes from a landscaper?

This is the site before it was taken over by the scammers:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140516213409/http://www.landscaperinscarborough.co.uk
    • Ivebeenhad
    • By Ivebeenhad 8th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ivebeenhad
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    Yes, I know it was incredibly stupid. Just let my guard down for an instant in a tired and hurried moment. Also hadn't noticed payment was insecure so thanks for that George. I've been watching the card and no dodgy payments on it but will take your advice. On the plus side, the dodgy Chinese are at least replying to my complaint and still talking to me and say they will refund 70%. Not sure if I believe them....we shall see. It seems wrong to ask the bank for a chargeback when it's my own silly fault.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 31,456 Posts
    • 19,863 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    For future ref

If the price for the item is really cheap then check the contact details.
    If no details then stay clear.
    If the website has bad english then stay clear.
    Can use whois.net to see where the website is registered.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter