Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saver87
    • By saver87 6th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 9Thanks
    saver87
    My ISA Funds
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    My ISA Funds 6th Feb 18 at 8:53 PM
    Hi all,
    I am not looking for expert advice, I could reach out to an IFA for that

I was wondering what everyone thought of the funds and stocks I hold in my ISA, I think it's well diversified. Anything I could do better? I say it's well diversified but it has been stung this week.

Fevertree Drinks plc
    HSBC American Index Inclusive - Accumulation (GBP)
    HSBC FTSE 100 Index Class C - Accumulation (GBP)
    iShares Emerging Markets Equity Index Class H - Accumulation (GBP)
    iShares Japan Equity Index Class H - Accumulation (GBP)
    Legal & General Group plc
    Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe ex-UK Equity Index Accumulation (GBP)
    Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex-UK Equity Index Accumulation (GBP)
    Vanguard FTSE UK All Share Index Accumulation (GBP)
    Vanguard Global Small-Cap Index Accumulation (GBP)
    Happy New Year and all the best for 2018!

12k for 2018 challenge. 0 / 12000
Page 1
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 6th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    AlanP
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    Difficult to comment really without knowing proportions. 10% in Fevertree and 10% in Dev World ex UK wouldn't be a good spread in my opinion.

Dev World will include Dev Europe and US and Japan so you might have more eggs in a particular basket than you were hoping for.
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 7th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    IanSt
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    If they meet your strategic needs then they're perfect for you, but if it were me then I'd definitely get rid of the individual stocks and place the resulting money into funds.

Is there some particular reason you hold those funds in whatever percentages you do? It may be easier for you to just hold the one global equity fund and have a few others to add something where you believe the global fund is underrepresented.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 7th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 9,331 Posts
    • 9,455 Thanks
    Linton
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    Why extra US when it is well represented in the Developed World/Global funds?
    Why both FTSE 100 and FTSE All Share trackers? The FTSE 100 comprises 80% of the FTSE All Share.

I would guess you have been hit particularly badly recently because you are unbalanced with excess US and possibly UK. But until we know the %s one cant really say.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    As people say we need percentages. The obvious comment is that there is a fair amount of duplication and you could sell 2 or 3 funds without changing your asset allocation.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • EJS_Superted
    • By EJS_Superted 7th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    EJS_Superted
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    Personally I don't see the reason for the duplication of the US, Japan, Europe and UK indexes. It complicates matters for no significant benefit. The purpose of world trackers is that they are simple but you hold all the geographic regions (except pacific) anyway so why have the dev world as well? It's not wrong but I think when self managing a portfolio simplicity is your friend. Also by holding FTSE 100 and FTSE All share you are un-diversifying (I don't think that's a word, sorry!), FTSE All Share alone would be more diverse as your money would be spread more evenly across the UK market.

Out of curiosity why and when did you buy fever tree? I can't see gin staying on trend forever and with a p/e ration of 100 i'd be looking at taking my winnings and moving on. If you bought it several years ago - well done!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 7th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 5,941 Posts
    • 5,281 Thanks
    badger09
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    As others have asked, what are the percentages?

I would also ask:

what is the total amount invested
    what are your objectives for this ISA
    what do you hold in your pension/SIPP
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    Personally I don't see the reason for the duplication of the US, Japan, Europe and UK indexes. It complicates matters for no significant benefit. The purpose of world trackers is that they are simple but you hold all the geographic regions (except pacific) anyway so why have the dev world as well? It's not wrong but I think when self managing a portfolio simplicity is your friend. Also by holding FTSE 100 and FTSE All share you are un-diversifying (I don't think that's a word, sorry!), FTSE All Share alone would be more diverse as your money would be spread more evenly across the UK market.
    Originally posted by EJS_Superted
    If the OP wanted to overweight a region or sector they might add that to the portfolio. There's a good argument for the Global Small Cap to compliment a cap weighted global equity fund. However, from the duplication of funds in the portfolio I'm not sure how much planning has gone into this asset allocation. But with a bit of pruning it could be just fine.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin