Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t1redmonkey
    • By t1redmonkey 6th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 37Thanks
    t1redmonkey
    Lump sum overpayment before switching mortgages?
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    Lump sum overpayment before switching mortgages? 6th Feb 18 at 6:36 PM
    So I'm looking to switch my current fixed term mortgage over to a different fixed term mortgage, since I can get a much cheaper rate elsewhere.

However I'm also looking to potentially overpay by something like £15k this year. My limit with the current provider is around half that, and I think it'll be similar with the new provider.

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible for me to overpay with my existing provider up to the annual limit, switch mortgage, and then overpay with the new one up to the annual limit with them too? I'm guessing it is, just want to make sure that I wouldn't be doing anything wrong by doing this.
Page 1
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    Why not put the cash in when you remortgage and take on a smaller mortgage?
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    juniordoc
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    Yeah just add the extra money in at the point you remortgage
    • t1redmonkey
    • By t1redmonkey 6th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    t1redmonkey
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    Thought it might be a stupid question. Haven't remortgaged before. I'm guessing then when I go through the remortgage process they will ask me if I want to pay in anything before it starts and I just do it that way then?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 58,184 Posts
    • 51,558 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    Just let your solicitor know what you intend doing and ensure that they have the funds at the appropriate time. The amount you remortgage for plus the cash you inject will be used to settle your old mortgage balance.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 9,002 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    Thought it might be a stupid question. Haven't remortgaged before. I'm guessing then when I go through the remortgage process they will ask me if I want to pay in anything before it starts and I just do it that way then?
    Originally posted by t1redmonkey
    Not really, you tell them what size mortage you want and the money gets sorted out at the point you remortage. That will include allowance for your £15k which you'll send to the solicitor just beforehand.

Your way would be (for example ) telling them you want a £100k mortage and then mentioning you'd immediately like to pay off £15k. What you do is ask for an £85k mortgage at the outset.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin