Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2,965Posts
    • 30,468Thanks
    XSpender
    Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on 70
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on 70 6th Feb 18 at 4:51 PM
    I have 2 freezers and cupboards groaning with food. We eat some and top it back up again with the same things, eat these, top it back up again and so on and never get to the bottom to give them a good clean out. I buy too much and struggle to spend within my grocery budget every week.

I have lots of fancy ingredients from various healthy eating regimes (I'm looking at you Joe Wicks ) and recipes I planned to make that are cluttering up the cupboards and I want to use them up before they go off.

We also need to seriously save some money, so we can pay down our debt which has been run up doing up our house and, more recently, buying some furniture in the January sales. This challenge should allow us to save nearly 500 and clear the balance on the credit card that is attracting interest.

To complicate matters I am coeliac and don!!!8217;t eat red meat or fish, DH will only eat a bit of salmon and does not have a sweet tooth so can!!!8217;t fill him up with cake or puddings. We have one DS who has school lunches and gets fed at grandparents most evenings.

Our challenge, is to use the food in our freezers and cupboards and an extra 70 cash to feed all 3 of us (excluding DS school lunches) between now and 29th March, 52 days. This may seem a lot to all you super experienced old stylers but we normally spend 70 in a good week!!

In addition to the 70 I can sometimes make use of a dinner allowance from work to buy groceries and sometimes have lunch/dinner paid for when away with work. This varies as this week I have none and next week I have 3 and DH has a rare 2.

I will post the contents of my freezers and cupboards and will be meal planning, writing a (very short) shopping list and looking for inspiration for meals and any recipes anyone would like to share. No cupboard shaming please

DH is on board and has even offered to spend some time in the kitchen with me at the weekend prepping our meals. DH never cooks and I!!!8217;m not sure he knows how to use the oven.

I have done a meal plan and shopping list for the first 11 days as both DH and I have some days away with work. There are 3 things on my shopping list so far:

Milk (4 pints semi skimmed) - 1.09
    Eggs (15) - 1.19
    Vegetable oil (1L) - 1.09

Please feel free to join in if your cupboards and freezers need a spring clean too.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Action Plan Part 1 - Clear First 3 Balances
    Target Debt Lloyds (Me) Part 1 666.22/0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 1 1176.49/0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 2 1038/995
    Big black hole of debt - 53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, 50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, 49,778.78 @ 20.04.18, 46,093.32 @ 18.05.18
Page 10
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    joedenise
    Just googled "bean dips" and came up with this: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/18800/appetizer/dips-spreads/bean/

might be worth a look.

There were others but didn't look at them.

Denise
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 10th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 14,635 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Just googled "bean dips" and came up with this: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/18800/appetizer/dips-spreads/bean/
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Thanks. Some of them look lovely.
    May Grocery Challenge - Food 45.62/80, Alcohol 15.25/20
    Bulk Fund Left/Food 63.50 Bulk Fund/Alcohol
    Save 12k in 2018 #80 = 2,000/5,000
    Yoga 30 Day Challenge 3/30
    Lose 12lbs - 5/12 - Goal 9st
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 11th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 8,400 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Quite happy with how this month is going so far, haven't bought any meat or fish so far as I'm using up what I've already got in. Need to go through the bottom draw of the freezer and plan some desserts as I know I've got some pumpkin puree in there. I've made pumpkin cupcakes before but could do with some other ideas.
    SPC #148 2014-25 2015-5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan 400.33/400 Feb 383.02/400 Mar 392.60/370 Apr 211.17/400
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 13th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    It's happening again! I took bacon, chicken wings, pork cubes, sausage, wine, beans out of the freezer to make cassoulet. I cooked more beans today as well, as I knew that the ones that came out were the last. SO now I have at least 2 pots of ready meal to go back in. I am trying to clear the freezer, honestly! I am going to collect a load of HM ready meals for my 'busy season' when the prom dress alterations start to pour through the door! Planning ahead
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm in the same boat as you purpleivy. I take things out of the freezer, make them into something then have portions to put back!
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 16th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Today doing OK, got out liver for hub and I for tonight and a rogue portion of HM Lasagne for dd. Got chilli and keema mince out for tomorrow. So nothing to go back from those. In addition have had soup out the last couple of days. Thought the pork fillet would be coming out for the weekend, but MIL has promised me a substitute dinner for Mothering Sunday, as I cooked for her last week. It's there to feed us another Sunday! I've done well, I think sausages is the only thing I have had meat wise from anywhere in about a month.

I'm in the same boat as you purpleivy. I take things out of the freezer, make them into something then have portions to put back!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    joedenise
    I think that happens to all of us where we're a couple. Most recipes are for 4 people and it just makes sense to make the 4 portions and put 2 in the freezer for another meal later.

I do try to put meals that I've made into the next month's planner but as with all plans we don't always completely stick to them - things crop up and we're late home or something so we end up eating out or picking up a take away and popping into the SM for something quick.

Denise
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 16th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Wonder how XSpender is getting on, not seen them round for a day or two.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Mar 18, 6:50 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 20,606 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Wonder how XSpender is getting on, not seen them round for a day or two.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    I took a quick look yesterday to see when she last posted and it was a week ago. You can always PM her
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after March 19.96% 1,996.19/10,000 5.04% behind
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 17th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Wouldn't 'bother' her, just wondering how the project is going.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 30,468 Thanks
    XSpender
    I'm sorry not to have posted for a while, recent changes at work have taken over my life I'm still focused on using up what's in the freezer but have had to replace staples like chicken and chopped tomatoes and a fair bit of frozen veg.

I am much more aware of what we have in stock and where it is and the cupboards are much emptier.

I still can't get rid of the sugar puffs
    Big black hole of debt - 53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, 50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, 49,778.78 @ 20.04.18, 46,093.32 @ 18.05.18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Did anyone ever completely get rid of sugar puffs? There are probably still some stuck under some piece of carpet here and we haven't bought them in years!

Good to see you back and glad it's nothing more alarming than work.

I think the likes of chicken and frozen veg aren't as significant as those incidental buys that never get used up. At least you know there will be a turnover of basics. DH is doing well using up custard powder and I have (as mentioned somewhere) started to eat lime pickle by the spoonful (no I'm not expecting anything apart from a possible stomach ache) but the freezer is still full...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 23rd Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 20,606 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Did anyone ever completely get rid of sugar puffs? There are probably still some stuck under some piece of carpet here and we haven't bought them in years!

Good to see you back and glad it's nothing more alarming than work.

I think the likes of chicken and frozen veg aren't as significant as those incidental buys that never get used up. At least you know there will be a turnover of basics. DH is doing well using up custard powder and I have (as mentioned somewhere) started to eat lime pickle by the spoonful (no I'm not expecting anything apart from a possible stomach ache) but the freezer is still full...
    I love this post so much Cherryfudge. I have had such a heavy week with work and the two-part humour (I hope this was intended ) has made me laugh out loud as I take a ten minute break from work, accounting and paying bills, shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, and so on. Thank you.

Sugar Puffs. Spot on. My advice is either to use them to stop your carpet walking (they are clinically proven to stick things together ) or chuck them into melted chocolate, maybe with the crumbs from a cornflake packet and give them to children/Sport Relief bake sale (or should that be relief from SP bake sale?).

It was the lime pickle that made me laugh

Have a good weekend everyone
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after March 19.96% 1,996.19/10,000 5.04% behind
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 23rd Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    This is such a good idea! I'm definitely in the 'top up the stuff we use every week' category with lots of food underneath!

We're a bit pushed budget-wise this month (a busy month for birthdays etc.) so it will be good to try and make do with what we have in.

The freezer is also sorely in need of defrosting too so two good reasons! I'll be making a list of everything tonight and make a plan of attack
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 28th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 30,468 Thanks
    XSpender
    I've updated the lists at the front of the thread to show what we have used up as we come to the end of the challenge.

I haven't made huge inroads into the baking stuff, probably because we have been trying to lose weight. There are few jars of ready made sauces left as well. DH is still on his super healthy eating plan so these will stay in the cupboard for a while yet.
    • Fizzy11
    • By Fizzy11 2nd Apr 18, 10:40 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Fizzy11
    I hope it!!!8217;s ok if I join you all in using up old stock because I!!!8217;m feeling a bit guilty about how old some of the stuff I!!!8217;ve used was.

I have let on it was out of date but not by much. A tin of tomatoes dated Aug 15 went into soup today. I promise it was off. Also made a cake with out of date sultanas & mixed spice. I just used double because the taste had faded a lot.

Off to read this whole thread & I hope it;s ok that I!!!8216;ve subscribed.
    Last edited by Fizzy11; 02-04-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I love this post so much Cherryfudge. I have had such a heavy week with work and the two-part humour (I hope this was intended ) has made me laugh out loud as I take a ten minute break from work, accounting and paying bills, shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, and so on. Thank you. ..

Sugar Puffs. Spot on. My advice is either to use them to stop your carpet walking (they are clinically proven to stick things together ) or chuck them into melted chocolate
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Glad I made you laugh . I hope the deckchairs are neatly in line now...

Our freezer progress us more steady than spectacular, nothing to report really but the foodstuffs need a thorough sort out as we seem to attract pasta, onions and part-jars of things that go on toast. I also have to confess to throwing a few things out that got past eating. That's the unfortunate triumph of optimism over sense when things get too busy.

Onwards and upwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin