Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Motormad
    • By Motormad 6th Feb 18, 4:25 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Motormad
    Halifax switch offer up to 125
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:25 PM
    Halifax switch offer up to 125 6th Feb 18 at 4:25 PM
    Competition hotting up for your current account switch.
Page 2
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 7th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    since I made the switches to Yorkshire and NatWest that my credit rating has gone down a bit.
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    In what way? How are you measuring this?
    • TheBlueVoice
    • By TheBlueVoice 7th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    TheBlueVoice
    Halifax accept switches into existing accounts opened before 3rd December 2016, so an account opened pre-2012 would be fine.
    Originally posted by Kim_13

Their terms state:

"Use the 'Current Account Switch Service' to switch into an open new or existing Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (15 monthly fee), or an existing Current Account if opened before 3rd December 2016."

So to me that sounds like any existing Reward or Ultimate reward account regardless of when its was opened?

I think the "opened before 3rd December 2016" only applies to existing NON Reward/Ultimate reward current accounts?
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 7th Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    stehouk
    tsb to natwest 125 and tesco to halifax 125 not a bad mornings work lol
    • S_uk
    • By S_uk 7th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    S_uk
    I'm assuming i'd still be eligible for the switching bonus as a BOS account holder, as long as the account I'm switching to Halifax isn't a BOS account? Their wording in the T+Cs could perhaps make it 100% clear:

You are not eligible for the offer if:
    you are a Bank of Scotland bank account customer switching to Halifax;
    I am switching to Halifax, and I am also a BOS account holder, so reading that a certain way it suggests I'm not eligible?
    Last edited by S_uk; 07-02-2018 at 6:38 PM.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Their terms state:

"Use the 'Current Account Switch Service' to switch into an open new or existing Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (15 monthly fee), or an existing Current Account if opened before 3rd December 2016."

So to me that sounds like any existing Reward or Ultimate reward account regardless of when its was opened?

I think the "opened before 3rd December 2016" only applies to existing NON Reward/Ultimate reward current accounts?
    Originally posted by TheBlueVoice
    They did remove non-Reward accounts from sale so the Reward is now their ordinary current account. I can't recall the date but thinking about it, the "current account" they refer to may be the now discontinued product that existing customers were able to retain.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I'm assuming i'd still be eligible for the switching bonus as a BOS account holder, as long as the account I'm switching to Halifax isn't a BOS account? Their wording in the T+Cs could perhaps make it 100% clear:

I am switching to Halifax, and I am also a BOS account holder, so reading that a certain way it suggests I'm not eligible?
    Originally posted by S_uk
    It does indeed, but as far as I know this isn't the case and you would be able to get the 125. If you have a spare non-BOS account there's nothing to lose by trying.

tsb to natwest 125 and tesco to halifax 125 not a bad mornings work lol
    Originally posted by stehouk

Stehouk, is this a Tesco account opened prior to 1 April 2017? If so, I would consider cancelling the switch and switching another account instead (you could open a standard current account with any other bank if you don't have another spare.) Tesco accounts opened prior to this date don't require the three direct debits or a 750 minimum pay in to earn the interest, but the new ones do, so you'd end up with an account under the new conditions if you were planning to re-open the Tesco account at a later date.

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • The weedie
    • By The weedie 7th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    The weedie
    Nice.

Hopefully get my 125 from natwest pretty quickly so I can kick start this switch.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Nice.

Hopefully get my 125 from natwest pretty quickly so I can kick start this switch.
    Originally posted by The weedie
    I wouldn't bet on it. Why not open an account with a different bank and switch that to Halifax instead?
    • BobsonUK
    • By BobsonUK 7th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BobsonUK

Originally posted by S_uk
    You'll be fine, I was in the same position last year.
    BOS account holder and I used an old Nationwide account to open my Halifax account for the 125.

The best bit the Halifax account appears alongside your BOS account in the BOS online banking.

Makes doing stuff to both accounts some much easier.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    18cc
    Applied yesterday and it was a very very easy application process that give you the account number and sort code at the end of the application and a switching dates one of the easiest application that I have done completely the other end of the spectrum to NatWest!
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 8th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Nice.

Originally posted by The weedie
    As ValiantSon said and as I mentioned earlier, I looked at the NatWest switch possibility and it is unlikely to work as you would probably end up switching away from NatWest before their bonus is likely to be paid.

I chose the TSB as the sacrifice as their monthly interest was only pence more than HX's monthly 3 bonus. I agree with opening a new simple account somewhere to use for the HX switch .... unless like me you are happy to sacrifice an account so as not to have to look for more DD's
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    Hengus
    My wife is thinking of switching her current account to the Halifax. She was a Halifax customer some years ago but she cannot remember if it was before/after the cut off date. Does the application process check for cash back eligibility?
    • HowardJ
    • By HowardJ 8th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HowardJ
    The terms exclude Bank of Scotland accounts, a TSB account is fine to qualify for the offer.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Hi I have a similar Question,

Are you eligible for the 125 switch if you switch a Lloyds current account?

I've heard RBS, Halifax & Lloyds are part of the same group.

Thanks
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 8th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    northwalesd

Thanks
    Originally posted by HowardJ
    Do the T&Cs exclude switching from a Lloyds account? You can find them here.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/current-accounts/reward-current-account/#collapse4-1499459832070
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 8th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I had to pop in to my local branch with ID as I have very recently moved home.

In branch I was told I would need to order a debit card (I don't have one) for my Santander account I was switching from before I could complete the switch. However I phoned Halifax when I got home and they said you do not have to have a debit card in order to switch.

Looking forward to my free 125 shortly.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 8th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 30,132 Posts
    • 17,984 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    My wife is thinking of switching her current account to the Halifax. She was a Halifax customer some years ago but she cannot remember if it was before/after the cut off date.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    The more pertinent question is whether she received an incentive payment or not. Did she?
    Does the application process check for cash back eligibility?
    If you qualify you get it. If you don't you don't. They don't tell you during the application.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 8th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13

Thanks
    Originally posted by HowardJ
    RBS is Royal Bank of Scotland, of which Natwest is part of the same group.

BOS (Bank of Scotland), Halifax and Lloyds are all part of the same group. The terms of the offer however only exclude Bank of Scotland current accounts, so you can get the incentive with a Lloyds current account.

I assume the reason for the exclusion of BOS is that BOS and Halifax are under the same banking licence. Lloyds, though under the same group, has its own licence.

• moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 8th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    In what way? How are you measuring this?
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    I get 2 monthly credit reports from Noddle and Moneysavingexpert and my credit score on both had gone down since I completed the switches to Yorkshire Bank and NatWest with everything else unchanged.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    18cc
    Applied for the account on the 7th of February it is now the 10th and my 125 incentive has been paid into the account

My switch hasn't even completed yet that is not due until the 15th!
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    I get 2 monthly credit reports from Noddle and Moneysavingexpert and my credit score on both had gone down since I completed the switches to Yorkshire Bank and NatWest with everything else unchanged.
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    So you're measuring it by the meaningless number. Ignore it. The 'drop' is not a reflection of your credit worthiness in the slightest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,060Posts Today

7,690Users online

Martin's Twitter