Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 6th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    MMD Should I keep my ticket refund?
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    MMD Should I keep my ticket refund? 6th Feb 18 at 4:03 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My employer pays for my train tickets to travel to work as part of my benefits. I travel during my own time and recently made a successful claim for a delay. Should I keep this money or give it to my employer given it paid for the ticket?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 2
    • billco
    • By billco 8th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    billco
    Don't think your employer would really care much tbh.
    One years target for mortgage deposit:

UPDATE: 27k achieved keeping steady grand a month bank
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 9th Feb 18, 11:44 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    You need to be honest and tell them you've made a claim for the delay you suffered and you've had a pay out - do they want you to give this to them or are they happy for you to keep it.

Nowadays honesty is so important in employment and therefore it's of paramount importance that you are 100% honest with your employers.

I vaguely remember seeing something before and someone else saying legally you have to give it to your employers. Not sure if that's right or not but do tell whoever deals with train ticket purchases and your manager or whoever you deal with.
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 11th Feb 18, 5:17 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    Datchet
    Hmmm, tricky one.
    Q; is the system:
    1. You personally buy the tickets & claim back in expenses? Or
    2. Employer book, buy and supply tickets & give you pick-up codes?

Conversely, if it's the former, it's easier to pocket the refund or voucher Or take the opposite path of offsetting against future company travel.

If it's No.1 then read your Company terms of employment. Tickets and therefore refunds can be property of the company and that's theft...

My company uses both 1 & 2. I asked my boss and She said ' it was her time' ( didn't actually tell me to keep it...)

In answer, I've done both; used vouchers and compensation offsetting cost on subsequent company travel and on occasion, used them myself for personal cost. It was , after all, my time and stress to be delayed, double booked, diverted or left in the lurch.

Also - I'm out of pocket circa £30 last week for expenses at an event that I can't claim for- I'll never see that again.
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter