Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 6th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 127Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Torn - Ebay or Gumtree
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    Torn - Ebay or Gumtree 6th Feb 18 at 3:05 PM
    I have an item to sell that is collectable and relatively decent value (50-70ish), but I am torn.

The item is ceramic and therefore, very fragile.

Do I sell on Ebay and risk being scammed by a buyer making a false claim, or do I sell on Gumtree where I will get much less exposure and probably not the collectables buyers that would be interested in this item.

Ok so the value is not that much but I am only selling this item because I need the money, therefore I don't want to lose both the item and my money.....this has happened to me in the past which is why I am nervous about it and thinking ahead.

I don't use social media so those selling pages are out.

WWYD?
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 6th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    Try a local auction house?

Or put it on Gumtree/Facebook and see if you get any sensible offers then try ebay if not.
    Last edited by Tealblue; 06-02-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 60,473 Posts
    • 43,105 Thanks
    soolin
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    Try a local auction house?
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    For a 50-70 item they will lose up to 40% in fees at a B and m auction so that's probably a last resort especially since it likely to be bought for resale on eBay.

OP If the item can be posted and you are an established seller then eBay will probably get a better price. Otherwise try a local site where item can be collected with a cash payment , like Facebook marketplace or SHpock.

However , check your prices using eBay sold items (sold not listed prices) even if looking to sell locally. Then you have a ball park figure to start as an offer price, and perhaps look to take lower offers for local sales with cash.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Dox
    • By Dox 6th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    Dox
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    If you choose to sell on ebay, do check which couriers will cover you for breakage in transit. There are now many more restrictions on delicate items and you may not be able to claim, however well packed your item is, if it arrives in more than one piece.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 5,075 Thanks
    RFW
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    If you choose to sell on ebay, do check which couriers will cover you for breakage in transit. There are now many more restrictions on delicate items and you may not be able to claim, however well packed your item is, if it arrives in more than one piece.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Genuine question as I don't deal in it: are there any that cover that?

I had a friend who sold fragile items as a business, he was forever changing couriers because they wouldn't pay out on damages. He specified what he sold every time he had a new contract and was approved yet claims were rejected. It's easy enough for a courier to say it's down to bad packaging.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 7th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    For a 50-70 item they will lose up to 40% in fees at a B and m auction so that's probably a last resort especially since it likely to be bought for resale on eBay.

OP If the item can be posted and you are an established seller then eBay will probably get a better price. Otherwise try a local site where item can be collected with a cash payment , like Facebook marketplace or SHpock.

However , check your prices using eBay sold items (sold not listed prices) even if looking to sell locally. Then you have a ball park figure to start as an offer price, and perhaps look to take lower offers for local sales with cash.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I didn't think about auction houses to be honest, but fees like that are way too high so that's probably not an option.

Checking the previous sold prices on Ebay is where I got my value from so I am confident that it is in the right ball park but would lower the price if buyer was to collect, as you say.

Originally posted by Dox
    Genuine question as I don't deal in it: are there any that cover that?

I had a friend who sold fragile items as a business, he was forever changing couriers because they wouldn't pay out on damages. He specified what he sold every time he had a new contract and was approved yet claims were rejected. It's easy enough for a courier to say it's down to bad packaging.
    Originally posted by RFW
    This was my worry too.....I am pretty sure that I have read that delicate items are either excluded from claims, or it is extremely difficult to prove that it was packaged sufficiently.

Thanks for the input, I think I will mull it over a bit but probably will go for Gumtree in the end and just sit it out and wait for that illusive buyer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter