Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 6th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 44Thanks
    Michaelw
    Only 80 second generation smart meters have been i
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    Only 80 second generation smart meters have been i 6th Feb 18 at 2:40 PM
    Only 80 second generation smart meters have been installed – as rollout stalls again

Only 80 “second generation” smart meters which allow customers to easily switch suppliers have been installed in homes, three months on from the official launch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/80-second-generation-smart-meters-have-installed-rollout-stalls/
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    I have to say that unusually The Telegraph article appears to have compiled by an intern. It jumps from smart meters to smart thermostats as if they were the same thing. The BEIS comment beggars belief given that they have just moved the SMETS1 stop installation date to the right - again. The other stark observation is that negative comments on this and other forums appears to be having a much greater impact on consumer decisions than the expensive and ill thought through SmartEnergyGB Gaz and Leccy campaign.

And the award for the factual incorrect statement of the day goes to the person who stated this:

Quote. For example, more than 90pc of those surveyed did not know smart meters could help customers with solar panels store energy to sell back to the grid Unquote
    Last edited by Hengus; 06-02-2018 at 6:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 6th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    It would be laughable if it wasn't costing us all so much. From what I've read it won't make switching easier anyway as the old supplier instantly loses access to the smart meter & so you still have the "what were the readings" arguement.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 5,906 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    And the award for the factual incorrect statement of the day goes to person who stated this:

Quote. For example, more than 90pc of those surveyed didn!!!8217;t know smart meters could help customers with solar panels store energy to sell back to the grid Unquote
    Originally posted by Hengus

I know nothing, Hengus, but even I know that's b0110cks. When solar panels are installed, they are done so either with the capacity to store electricity (huge, heavy, expensive batteries, I believe) or they are not. No meter in the world is going to change that.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 06-02-2018 at 6:43 PM.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • robj20
    • By robj20 7th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    robj20
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    Why is it so difficult to have the readings uploaded to a central database and the supplier then reads from that. At switch the readings get a switch marker so the previous and new supplier both know the same switch readings.
    They're making it so much harder than it needs to be.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    Why is it so difficult to have the readings uploaded to a central database and the supplier then reads from that. At switch the readings get a switch marker so the previous and new supplier both know the same switch readings.
    They're making it so much harder than it needs to be.
    Originally posted by robj20
    Smart meters have little to do with accurate meter readings; switching for consumers, or energy theft which I accept may be of concern to consumers.

This project is all about setting up a Smart Electrical Grid of which smart meters are only a part. A Smart Electrical Grid is needed to better match electrical demand and supply (ideally, through 30 minute usage profiling via smart meters), and to identify infrastructure faults before Grid components fail. The two main reasons why this is proving to be so complex are down to the layered levels of cyber security needed across the system (made more difficult imho by the number of meter models), and the fact that UK smart meters will all have an inbuilt remote disconnection facility. A foreign Actor could do irreparable damage to the Grid if it was able to take out/disconnect a large number of meters at the same time. All cyber experts say that 'it is not a question of if this will happen, it is only a question of when'.

In true British style, we have made this project far more complicated than it needed to be. This has led to increased costs (which we will all ultimately pay for) and questionable savings.

Both the Government and suppliers now know that the 2020 rollout deadline is no longer possible: it is just a question of who blinks first. The Government has the upper hand as no taxpayer money is involved in this project, and suppliers will be fined if they do not achieve their rollout targets. Guess who will pay any fines?
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 7th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    Scottish Power now offer an April 2019 fixed tariff that "includes a smart meter" sounds like a bargain. Only offering the best tariff to those who adopt smart meters?

Their FAQs and other info manage to miss out whether its SMETS 1 or 2 meter (because its already outdated SMETS 1?)

They fail to mention what happens if you get gas and electric from different suppliers.

Basically they are just looking for mugs to adopt their faulty technology to meet targets and keep the government happy, all to the detriment of the consumer.

Once adopted the suppliers will have a field day with tariffs, notice none of them even pretend costs will go down, you will just have the pleasure of looking at your in home display unit, so exciting, and having your brains fried by the 'technology'.
    Last edited by Yorkshire Pud; 07-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter