Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer 6th Feb 18 at 2:39 PM
    Waitrose is set to end the 'pick your own offers' part of its loyalty scheme, after apparently concluding that customers found it too "confusing"...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose to scrap "confusing" pick-your-own-offers loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 27th Mar 18, 4:57 AM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 7,256 Thanks
    Murphybear
    None - but our Waitrose is looking emptier and emptier, while Aldi and Lidl (a short distance away) are busier and busier.

I see very bad times ahead for Waitrose.

Waitrose large organic eggs (6) £2.75
    Lidl large organic eggs (6) £1.29

How long before that sort of thing sinks in?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Local farms £1 for 6
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    Doc N
    Local farms £1 for 6
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Organic, though? Free range, yes, but not organic.

Free range at Aldi and Lidl are 89p.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    unrecordings
    "It's now over a month since we got the coupons for their new "scheme". I used what I could, and binned the rest.

But has ANYONE had any more coupons??"
    Originally posted by Tigger1000

[I couldn't get the quote markers to work, so did a DIY version.]

I have had none. I wish there were Aldi stores in central London.
    Originally posted by Attila_the_Pun
    I reckon first week in May - that would make it every three months. If you've been swiping your card (like I have) then the vouchers should be targeted. If not, and if the vouchers haven't arrived by June, then that card is going in the bin (once I've melted it into an unreadable blob for security's sake)

I also can't help thinking there's an ulterior motive behind their changes to the free coffee. While the move is admirable in the wider sense, it also drastically cuts the amount of free coffee that they'll be giving out (not that I partake - but they started down this road of insulting our intelligence with their fake concern)
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 10th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    And now the coffee scheme is set to change as Waitrose will no longer offer free disposable cups but expect you to provide your own.
    And in the canteen, you will no longer get free tea/coffee but some discount on some food item.
    This is being trialled in a few stores and will be rolled out later in the year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/10/waitrose-to-remove-all-disposable-coffee-cups-from-shops-this-year
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    Doc N
    And now the coffee scheme is set to change as Waitrose will no longer offer free disposable cups but expect you to provide your own.
    And in the canteen, you will no longer get free tea/coffee but some discount on some food item.
    This is being trialled in a few stores and will be rolled out later in the year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/10/waitrose-to-remove-all-disposable-coffee-cups-from-shops-this-year
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Interesting. The beginning of the end for the free coffee then. Newspapers next, doubtless.

No real surprise, given the severe pressure on their margins now that so many of their (ex) customers have discovered the same food at Aldi and Lidl but at least a third cheaper! But unless they offer some sort of incentive to set off against the high prices they'll probably lose even more customers.

No wonder Andy Street jumped ship when he did - he's an astute individual who could clearly see the writing on the wall for JLP.
    • Tigger1000
    • By Tigger1000 10th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Tigger1000
    Being rolled out in our cafe starting 23 May. Full price coffee, but some (limited) free food with it. But I would prefer to lose weight, not gain it, so from 23 May my Waitrose card will be a useless piece of plastic.

Oh, and still no coupons here.

How to trash your card scheme in one easy lesson!
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    Winnie the Pooh
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 10,921 Posts
    • 23,484 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Being rolled out in our cafe starting 23 May. Full price coffee, but some (limited) free food with it. But I would prefer to lose weight, not gain it, so from 23 May my Waitrose card will be a useless piece of plastic.

Oh, and still no coupons here.

How to trash your card scheme in one easy lesson!
    Originally posted by Tigger1000

I agree.

And no more disposable cups. You will only get a free coffee from the machine using a re-usable one.

Someone at Waitrose has really lost the plot!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    Doc N
    Applied nationally now:

Dear

Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our environment and that includes reducing the amount of plastic and packaging we use.

We have already pledged not to sell any own-label food in black plastic beyond 2019, the earliest date set by any supermarket. We have also committed to make all own-label packaging widely recyclable, reusable or home compostable by 2025.

And now we are taking another important step forward.

We’re taking action on takeaway coffee cups

By autumn this year, we will have removed takeaway coffee cups from all our stores.

It’s not a decision we have taken lightly. Our packaging team has spent a year trying to source cups that can be easily recycled. But we believe, after looking at all the alternatives and listening to the views of customers, that we need to act now.

We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. We just need your help. Once takeaway cups are removed from your store, we’d like you to bring in your own reusable cup.

It’s worth the effort. This simple change alone will remove 52 million takeaway cups from the environment.

We’ll be in touch again soon to let you know when the change will happen in your local store. But please do feel free to use your own reusable cup before then.

We’re improving our caf!s

We also wanted to let you know about exciting changes we’re making to improve your experience in our caf!s.

We know how important a break can be when you’re shopping, so we’ve given our Partners barista training and will be introducing an even higher-quality coffee made from 100% triple certified Arabica beans.

It does mean that from Wednesday 23rd May, we are no longer able to serve myWaitrose free hot drinks from the caf!. But you’ll still be able to enjoy these from our self-serve tea and coffee machines when you shop with us.

We’re also planning an exciting new promotion on food in caf!s when you buy a hot drink. It will be our way of saying thank you. The promotion will be exclusive to myWaitrose members and we’ll be in touch very soon with all the details.
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 10th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    SPnomore
    I agree.

And no more disposable cups. You will only get a free coffee from the machine using a re-usable one.

Someone at Waitrose has really lost the plot!
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR

I just got the email too. Didn't even read it, just clicked the "unsubscribe button". They scrap the loyalty scheme so they lose my custom. Simples. Still not been back since.

The funny thing is that I only had the loyalty card for a short time and didn't even want it, but they forced it on me for shopping online. So if they hadn't forced the loyalty card on me and then scrapped the benefits, I would still be shopping there. Fortunately for me, I now much prefer the alternatives.
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 18th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    SPnomore
    Just got my first communication since Waitrose scrapped loyalty - A piece of card with a recipe for capers! Maybe they think the joke will go above their customers heads. Went straight in the bin. Just a waste of envelope, postage and card, especially now I don't shop there anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,721Posts Today

8,631Users online

Martin's Twitter