Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 361Posts
    • 174Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer 6th Feb 18 at 2:39 PM
    Waitrose is set to end the 'pick your own offers' part of its loyalty scheme, after apparently concluding that customers found it too "confusing"...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose to scrap "confusing" pick-your-own-offers loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 19,636 Thanks
    Doc N
    Local farms 1 for 6
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Organic, though? Free range, yes, but not organic.

Free range at Aldi and Lidl are 89p.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    unrecordings
    "It's now over a month since we got the coupons for their new "scheme". I used what I could, and binned the rest.

But has ANYONE had any more coupons??"
    Originally posted by Tigger1000

[I couldn't get the quote markers to work, so did a DIY version.]

I have had none. I wish there were Aldi stores in central London.
    Originally posted by Attila_the_Pun
    I reckon first week in May - that would make it every three months. If you've been swiping your card (like I have) then the vouchers should be targeted. If not, and if the vouchers haven't arrived by June, then that card is going in the bin (once I've melted it into an unreadable blob for security's sake)

I also can't help thinking there's an ulterior motive behind their changes to the free coffee. While the move is admirable in the wider sense, it also drastically cuts the amount of free coffee that they'll be giving out (not that I partake - but they started down this road of insulting our intelligence with their fake concern)
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 10th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    And now the coffee scheme is set to change as Waitrose will no longer offer free disposable cups but expect you to provide your own.
    And in the canteen, you will no longer get free tea/coffee but some discount on some food item.
    This is being trialled in a few stores and will be rolled out later in the year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/10/waitrose-to-remove-all-disposable-coffee-cups-from-shops-this-year
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 19,636 Thanks
    Doc N
    And now the coffee scheme is set to change as Waitrose will no longer offer free disposable cups but expect you to provide your own.
    And in the canteen, you will no longer get free tea/coffee but some discount on some food item.
    This is being trialled in a few stores and will be rolled out later in the year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/10/waitrose-to-remove-all-disposable-coffee-cups-from-shops-this-year
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Interesting. The beginning of the end for the free coffee then. Newspapers next, doubtless.

No real surprise, given the severe pressure on their margins now that so many of their (ex) customers have discovered the same food at Aldi and Lidl but at least a third cheaper! But unless they offer some sort of incentive to set off against the high prices they'll probably lose even more customers.

No wonder Andy Street jumped ship when he did - he's an astute individual who could clearly see the writing on the wall for JLP.
    • Tigger1000
    • By Tigger1000 10th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Tigger1000
    Being rolled out in our cafe starting 23 May. Full price coffee, but some (limited) free food with it. But I would prefer to lose weight, not gain it, so from 23 May my Waitrose card will be a useless piece of plastic.

Oh, and still no coupons here.

How to trash your card scheme in one easy lesson!
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    Winnie the Pooh
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 11,283 Posts
    • 24,293 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Being rolled out in our cafe starting 23 May. Full price coffee, but some (limited) free food with it. But I would prefer to lose weight, not gain it, so from 23 May my Waitrose card will be a useless piece of plastic.

Oh, and still no coupons here.

How to trash your card scheme in one easy lesson!
    Originally posted by Tigger1000

I agree.

And no more disposable cups. You will only get a free coffee from the machine using a re-usable one.

Someone at Waitrose has really lost the plot!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 19,636 Thanks
    Doc N
    Applied nationally now:

Dear

Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our environment and that includes reducing the amount of plastic and packaging we use.

We have already pledged not to sell any own-label food in black plastic beyond 2019, the earliest date set by any supermarket. We have also committed to make all own-label packaging widely recyclable, reusable or home compostable by 2025.

And now we are taking another important step forward.

Were taking action on takeaway coffee cups

By autumn this year, we will have removed takeaway coffee cups from all our stores.

Its not a decision we have taken lightly. Our packaging team has spent a year trying to source cups that can be easily recycled. But we believe, after looking at all the alternatives and listening to the views of customers, that we need to act now.

We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. We just need your help. Once takeaway cups are removed from your store, wed like you to bring in your own reusable cup.

Its worth the effort. This simple change alone will remove 52 million takeaway cups from the environment.

Well be in touch again soon to let you know when the change will happen in your local store. But please do feel free to use your own reusable cup before then.

Were improving our caf!s

We also wanted to let you know about exciting changes were making to improve your experience in our caf!s.

We know how important a break can be when youre shopping, so weve given our Partners barista training and will be introducing an even higher-quality coffee made from 100% triple certified Arabica beans.

It does mean that from Wednesday 23rd May, we are no longer able to serve myWaitrose free hot drinks from the caf!. But youll still be able to enjoy these from our self-serve tea and coffee machines when you shop with us.

Were also planning an exciting new promotion on food in caf!s when you buy a hot drink. It will be our way of saying thank you. The promotion will be exclusive to myWaitrose members and well be in touch very soon with all the details.
    • Attila_the_Pun
    • By Attila_the_Pun 20th Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Attila_the_Pun
    And now ...nothing
    Since the Pick Your Own Offers scheme was scrapped, I have received no vouchers at all. This demonstrates that Waitrose's stated reasons for scrapping it were false. They simply wanted to stop it, perhaps because they thought it was costing more than it was bringing in in extra business. I hope they come to see what a mistake this was.
    • mon37
    • By mon37 20th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    mon37
    I noticed how emptier and emptier their shops become...
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 21st Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I've just got a set of 12 money off vouchers - the first 4 of which relate to items I regularly buy. Last month, at the tills, I got 4 5 off if you spend over 40 vouchers.

Our Waitrose is getting busier. Lots of people already taking in their own reusable cups.

I guess vouchers, to an extent, are dependent on how often you shop there and how much you spend.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 21st Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    NeilCr
    So basically, it is a lottery or the luck of the draw whether Waitrose decide to reward you because they think it will be easier for their customers to comprehendPlus you have to carry around penny saving vouchers all the time - how very unWaitrose.
    Originally posted by SPnomore
    Nope.

I take the vouchers when I do my weekly shop. No need to carry them round all the time.

• POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 21st Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 11,283 Posts
    • 24,293 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Very quiet in our Waitrose today.

Unusually so for a saturday.

Cafe was quiet as well.
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 21st Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    SPnomore
    Anyone know if you can cancel the card on their website, to avoid getting any more useless recipe 'capers' ? Thanks.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 21st Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Anyone know if you can cancel the card on their website, to avoid getting any more useless recipe 'capers' ? Thanks.
    Originally posted by SPnomore
    Just go into My Waitrose and "opt out". No more contact
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 23rd Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Got my vouchers today. I shop mainly in Waitrose and I've been diligently getting my card swiped every time to see what would happen:

So crappy recipe/advertorial booklet (the editorial process for which must have been google some food related puns and expand on that) , and a wad of card vouchers glued to each other and to the wallet so they rip when you try to extract them. Out of twelve vouchers four are not targeted (and fortunately the one whose barcode was obliterated trying to remove it from the wallet was one of these). However the value of the remaining 8 vouchers is a mere 7.50, which is much lower than the last lot of vouchers, and doesn't even compare to PYO. As far as I'm concerned is simply not worth my time & effort to flash my card, and I'm what you might consider part of their core customer base. So that's that, no more spending data for you Waitrose

Edited to add - for three months shopping, that 7.50 is going to be worth about 30p to 50p per shop - compare that to PYO
    Last edited by unrecordings; 23-04-2018 at 1:36 PM.
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 24th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 47,726 Thanks
    rose28454
    I used to always have my Pick List full and make good use of it. Mainly because it worked so well with Multi buys as it gave you the 20% off the single price even if it was in a Multi Buy. I was getting Fairy Washing Liquid 24 washes for about 2.30 each and have quite a few left. Also when using a money off voucher the prices of single items before multi buy were counted for total so you could use a 5.00 off 40.00 without actually spending that.
    I think this has more to do with Waitrose withdrawing the offer than anything else.
    I really only visit my store when my favourite butcher is working as he gives me extra discounts as he likes me.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 24th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Snakey
    Got my second lot of vouchers today, so that looks like it's once a quarter then.

30p off "fruit", 30p off "vegetables", and four vouchers for 4 off 40.

My average spend in Waitrose is probably two or three quid and I doubt I've ever gone above 20. So basically just 60p worth of vouchers. Not a patch on 20% off about a third of the things I used to buy!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 24th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 5,232 Posts
    • 6,628 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I don't even bother showing my Waitrose card when I shop there - which is far less frequently now. In fact, the few things that I want which I can only get from Waitrose, I tend to save up for when I place the occasional order with Ocado.

It was a badly thought out scheme in the first place but the retraction of it has just compounded the mess they've made.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 27th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 7,336 Posts
    • 10,746 Thanks
    surfsister
    never received any vouchers must check my account.

Think this is bad for Waitose combined with the removal of cups for free coffee. Bound to lose custom I think.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 27th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 13,295 Posts
    • 41,931 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Got my second lot of vouchers today, so that looks like it's once a quarter then.

30p off "fruit", 30p off "vegetables", and four vouchers for 4 off 40.

My average spend in Waitrose is probably two or three quid and I doubt I've ever gone above 20. So basically just 60p worth of vouchers. Not a patch on 20% off about a third of the things I used to buy!
    Originally posted by Snakey

Still not received any vouchers from them.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,723Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter