Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 3,979Posts
    • 14,673Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Do you tell them you have switched?
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    Do you tell them you have switched? 6th Feb 18 at 2:37 PM
    I have just switched my home contents insurance and wondered whether I should tell my old company that I won't be renewing, they never did anything wrong, I just found cheaper.

We all switch (or should) regularly from power to insurance to banks, is it the done thing to tell the old supplier that the switch is in or not?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.7
    Total so far - 1915.5
Page 1
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 6th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    There is little point telling them if you have already taken out new insurance. However, you should check that your policy isn't one that automatically renews otherwise you may end up paying twice.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 14,673 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    There is little point telling them if you have already taken out new insurance. However, you should check that your policy isn't one that automatically renews otherwise you may end up paying twice.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    Did that already

This week - 81.7
    Total so far - 1915.5
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 6th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    When you found cheaper, you should have called current provider to say so as sometimes they match or beat it.

I would say call them to let them know so that way they close your account and not just mark it as 'on pause' (as was the case with me).
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 6th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 7,320 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    When I got my ridiculous renewal quote from RIAS a couple of months ago I sent it back with a note telling them exactly why I wasn't renewing it.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 12,341 Posts
    • 16,647 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    When you found cheaper, you should have called current provider to say so as sometimes they match or beat it.

I would say call them to let them know so that way they close your account and not just mark it as 'on pause' (as was the case with me).
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    That's what I did this year - same insurer, same cover, but paying less than I did last year (hence my "Home Insurance Hacker" badge)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 6th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    I refuse to do that. why should i do the leg work. The company is basically saying we will try it on and if that fails we will sell the product for the most we can. If every one just said sod you and went elsewhere these companies would offer a realistic quote the first time.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 14,673 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    I refuse to do that. why should i do the leg work. The company is basically saying we will try it on and if that fails we will sell the product for the most we can. If every one just said sod you and went elsewhere these companies would offer a realistic quote the first time.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    This is close to how I feel about it, when I did the comparison check, my current insurer came in cheaper than the renewal by £10 but was still twice as much as the one I bought.

It's not as if it's even a free phonecall to tell them but I did think about sending an email.

This week - 81.7
    Total so far - 1915.5
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 29,663 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    We always go back to our preferred insurer with the quotes we have found elsewhere and they invariably match

Each year it goes like this

They send out a renewal quote

We ring them and ask if that's really the best they can offer with us being loyal customers, so they come down a bit

Then we do the price comparison, ensuring we are getting like for like, and go back to them to price match, which they always do or come down to near enough

Takes about an hour once a year

We are happy with the customer service we get with our preferred insurer, we have made claims on both cars and home since we have been with them, all sorted quickly and with no hassle which is why we prefer not to change. Read so many horror stories where people have gone for the cheapest and then when they have needed to claim, it's been a nightmare
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    indesisiv
    That's what I did this year - same insurer, same cover, but paying less than I did last year (hence my "Home Insurance Hacker" badge)
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    haha I just assumed that, that's what everyone does... didn't realise you could get a badge for doing that!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 7th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    That's fair enough but OP was also asking whether they should tell the original insurer that they have moved elsewhere.

I once didn't tell my first insurer and assumed that as they didnt take any money off me it wouldn't matter. But later found out that my custom with them was still active but classed as 'dormant'. I only found this out because (first insurers) later became the most cost effective when you consider that they were giving away vouchers for new customers - which I didn't really qualify for as I was still classed as 'existing'.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 7,716 Posts
    • 13,922 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Will be ring my contents provider next couple of days to see if they can beat my new quote. My renewal quote is £56.40. Can get same cover for £47.54.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter