Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bully36
    • By bully36 6th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bully36
    London and Manchester PPI query
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    London and Manchester PPI query 6th Feb 18 at 2:15 PM
    Hi,

I took out a mortgage in 1993 with Northern Rock, and had 'Mortgage Protection Assurance' with London and Manchester at the same time. This was paid monthly for 20 years.

I have taken a look at the PPI section on this site and tried to use the resolver tool but it appears they do not exist, and I am unsure after investigation who they would be trading under. Some places are saying it's Friends provident or Friends life, and others say Aviva.

Would i be able to claim PPI as they are not a bank?, and also what would be the best way to do this using the Resolver tool?, as i am really stuck and very grateful for your help and advice.

Again thank you for your time and apologies if this is the incorrect forum.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 92,221 Posts
    • 59,391 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    I didnt think NR retailed L&M policies. Did you buy this via NR or was it via a broker or adviser?

Would i be able to claim PPI as they are not a bank?
    Depends on how you bought it. MPPI certainly sees fewer complaints and a much lower success rate on those complaints.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bully36
    • By bully36 6th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bully36
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    To be honest it was 25 years ago and my memory is bad but I'm pretty sure it was either a broker or adviser and not NR itself.

The house was bought using RTB from the council and they setup our mortgage with NR.

Sorry if this is vague, but I'm really unsure what to do and really appreciate your help and advice.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 92,221 Posts
    • 59,391 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    To be honest it was 25 years ago and my memory is bad but I'm pretty sure it was either a broker or adviser and not NR itself.
    That would make sense given that it was an insurer that I do not believe had ties to NR. Plus, most NR mortgages were arranged by brokers.

It does mean that you cant complain though.

The PPI issue is really aimed at the banks. It it was sold by a broker/adviser before 2005, then there is no-one to complain to as that is when it became regulated. Banks have to consider earlier sales. Brokers/advisers do not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bully36
    • By bully36 6th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bully36
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    I'm pretty sure we didn't ask for an adviser to come and that they were sent through the council when we were purchasing. Would that make any difference?.

Thanks, you've been a great help
    Last edited by bully36; 06-02-2018 at 4:09 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 92,221 Posts
    • 59,391 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure we didn't ask for an adviser to come and that they were sent through the council when we were purchasing.
    That would have been a broker/adviser.
    • bully36
    • By bully36 6th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bully36
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    Ok looks like it isn't something we can pursue then.

I have clicked the thank you button, as you've been a great help !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,826Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I hate customer service lines that ALWAYS say, every time you ring (at any time in the day)... "sorry we are experi? https://t.co/GGCGM0WNai

• After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Follow Martin