Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 6th Feb 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5,174Posts
    • 168,867Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    What is your take on this?
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:33 PM
    What is your take on this? 6th Feb 18 at 1:33 PM
    The MD I work for has 2 companies in the same premises.

There are 2 of us in the office. Colleague works for company A and I work for company B.

Colleague works 4 days and has Friday off, I have to work a Friday (shorter day though).

Personally I don't think this is fair, as when I am in on a Friday I end up getting lumbered with things that are to do with company A and I am trying to get my own work done.

We do cover bits and pieces of each others work when we have holidays (we can't be on holiday at the same time), but this is every Friday. I get phone calls asking for colleague and chasing orders for other company and I can't tell them anything as most of the factory are not in either (there's probably only about 3 people in on a Friday).

I am looking for another job and as soon as I find something I will be off, in case anyone does suggest this.

Any comments please?

Thanks.
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016, 2017 & 2018
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    The MD I work for has 2 companies in the same premises.

There are 2 of us in the office. Colleague works for company A and I work for company B.

Colleague works 4 days and has Friday off, I have to work a Friday (shorter day though).

Personally I don't think this is fair, as when I am in on a Friday I end up getting lumbered with things that are to do with company A and I am trying to get my own work done.

We do cover bits and pieces of each others work when we have holidays (we can't be on holiday at the same time), but this is every Friday. I get phone calls asking for colleague and chasing orders for other company and I can't tell them anything as most of the factory are not in either (there's probably only about 3 people in on a Friday).

I am looking for another job and as soon as I find something I will be off, in case anyone does suggest this.

Any comments please?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Abbafan1972

What do you mean not fair? You're paid for this time aren't you?
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 6th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 6,073 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    What do you mean not fair? You're paid for this time aren't you?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Yup I agree. I would say it was unfair if she was on the same salary/pay but end day you're there to work and being paid for it whilst she isn't.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    can you do the work to the appropriate standard within the allocated time?

Do you need additional skills to undertake the 'different work' from firm B on the 1/2 day Friday, or is it materially the same (just with a different name?)

If all OK above, just accept that is the way the MD wants things to work, you get extra pay as a result (compared to your colleague) and life is good.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    Yup I agree. I would say it was unfair if she was on the same salary/pay but end day you're there to work and being paid for it whilst she isn't.
    Originally posted by Kayalana99

To be honest, she could be on double or triple the salary and it'd still be fair.

the OP has chosen to exchange labour for financial reward. The rate is between her and her boss. If the colleague has negotiated a better deal - well that's just life.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 5,468 Posts
    • 11,335 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    On Friday say company B doesnt have anyone in the office today, please call back mon/thurs next week , maybe even ask if the hold message can say something along the lines of that.

I dont see whats so arduous about saying youre gonna have to call back

(Apostrophes removed to stop the forum error, dont judge )
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    If I'm interpreting what the OP says correctly, Friday is a shorter working day anyway so surely the workload of answering the phone for questions to the 'other company' can't be that great. Sorry but it sounds more like the whingeing of somebody who is fed up with the job than a justifiable grievance. That thought is supported by the fact that the OP is looking for another job.
    As has been said above, all the OP needs to do is say that there is nobody here from Company A please call back on Monday. Don't offer to take a message, unless that's what the current instruction is.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 6th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    Doesn't seem unreasonable at all. At my work I pick up things for my colleagues when they're not in, there's an element of that in most jobs.

Why is it that it bothers you so much? Have you had a discussion with the MD about how he would like you to handle enquiries for company A? Is this the reason you're trying to leave or is there more to it?
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 6th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    What does your boss say?
    It sounds as though there is an agreement between the two companies, so if you are finding that the cover you provide for the other company is impacting on your work for your own company, you need to bring that to your boss's attention and let her decide how to address it.

What sort of things are you 'lumbered' with?

If you boss agrees that it is an issue, you could think about how to address it, such as setting out of office messages on your colleague's phone and e-mail, letting your colleague know that she needs to manage expectations of 3rd parties etc, but step one is to speak to your boss.

Has your own workload increased recently so that it has recently become a bigger problem?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter