Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onesixfive
    • By onesixfive 6th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 321Posts
    • 224Thanks
    onesixfive
    Old PPI rejected by Ombudsman/court - re-pursue?
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Old PPI rejected by Ombudsman/court - re-pursue? 6th Feb 18 at 12:16 PM
    To cut a very long story very short .....
    I had a stand-alone PPI with Paymentcare running alongside a 17k Northern Rock loan Feb 06 - Mar 09 (which was cheaper than N Rock's own PPI).
    • I was told I had already been refused in June 11 - & to try the ombudsman.
    • Ombudman said more than 6 months old - so too late.
    • So I then tried via small claims court, but was then faced with a counter claim, which, at the time, I couldn't afford/nor risk a summary judgement, so I had to withdraw my claim.
    Can I re-pursue - is it worth it?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 20,148 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    Seems to me that your complaint ended in June 2011 and that re-visiting it at intervals since then has been a frustrating experience.

There is nothing in your post which indicates that your earlier frustration won't simply be repeated now.

You could, however, investigate the possibility of a Plevin refund of undisclosed commission.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 6th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    If you had standalone PPI, how was it purchased? Advised or non-advised (ie did you go direct to an insurer for it)?

If it was non-advised it means you would need to complain about misselling to yourself...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 92,596 Posts
    • 59,911 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    I had a stand-alone PPI with Paymentcare running alongside a 17k Northern Rock loan Feb 06 - Mar 09 (which was cheaper than N Rock's own PPI).
    That is exactly how good PPI is set up. So, well done on doing it correctly. However, this then does lead us to ask the question as to why you think this is unlawful?

So I then tried via small claims court, but was then faced with a counter claim, which, at the time, I couldn't afford/nor risk a summary judgement, so I had to withdraw my claim.
    I dont blame them. it seems like a frivilous court case.

You could, however, investigate the possibility of a Plevin refund of undisclosed commission.
    Plevin should not apply as the product was not sold by the seller of the loan. i.e. there was no unfair relationship. Also, if its not a bank product, then a standalone regular premium policy will be below the tipping point even if it was in scope.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,409Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin