Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerbuz
    • By kerbuz 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    kerbuz
    new house purchase, cellar conundrum
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    new house purchase, cellar conundrum 6th Feb 18 at 11:54 AM
    hello all,

I am in the early stages of buying a Victorian property, however the original house has been split into 2. The front half is the residential dwelling (the house I'm buying). The other half is a centre for teenagers with learning difficulties.

From the house there steps leading down to a cellar which has been blocked off, as I'm told the neighbours have access to the cellar but it isn't used. My concern is that whether the cellar is under the house, the current occupier doesn't know, the surveyor said there needs to be more investigation.

Has anyone any advice or experienced this situation before?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    Well it's not going to be under the house down the road...

I agree with your surveyor, surely though you can just pop round and ask the centre?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    Originally posted by kerbuz
    I doubt it, as it sounds quite peculiar to your property. Sounds like you'll need to get your vendor and/or the neighbours to provide access so you/your surveyor can check the extent of the cellar.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    Some celleras only go under part of a house.

For example, our cellar is under the front and back (dining) room of our house, but not the kitchen.

In one house we viewed the cellar was only in half the front room and nothing else and in another was the whole back room but not the front or kitchen, in a couple it was under the whole house.

You need to ask the adjoining property. Pop round and ask to speak to the centre manager and arrange a time for your surveyor or you to go round and look. Should be fairly straight forward to organise.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 15,477 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    I am in the early stages of buying a Victorian property, however the original house has been split into 2. The front half is the residential dwelling (the house I'm buying). The other half is a centre for teenagers with learning difficulties.

From the house there steps leading down to a cellar which has been blocked off, as I'm told the neighbours have access to the cellar but it isn't used. My concern is that whether the cellar is under the house, the current occupier doesn't know, the surveyor said there needs to be more investigation.
    It's odds-on that the cellar is pretty much the full footprint of the original ground floor, and when the house was split into two, the occupier of the other half took ownership of the full cellar.

Does it make much of a difference either way? I'm guessing you're looking at basically a flying freehold, unless "your" half of the property is leasehold?
    • kerbuz
    • By kerbuz 6th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kerbuz
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    Thank you all for the quick responses and valuable input

My solicitor had said there's nothing in the title plan and wasn't helpful to be honest. I'm still awaiting feedback from the neighbours for the full foot print of the cellar but the property is listed as freehold and not flying freehold.
    Last edited by kerbuz; 06-02-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 8,811 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    hello all,

Look for somewhere else.
    • kerbuz
    • By kerbuz 15th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kerbuz
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    Quick update, managed to see access to next doors cellar which confirmed they don't have access to the property. thank you all for your advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin