Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flyddo
    • By flyddo 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    flyddo
    Ready to exchange and then....
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    Ready to exchange and then.... 6th Feb 18 at 11:47 AM
    So we have been ready to exchange since before Xmas but things have been held up with the property our vendors are buying. The house is nice so we were happy to offer full asking price, survey picked up on a few issues but vendors refused to budge an inch insisting they could get buyers easily. Since then they have told us the are taking the carpets and are generally being a bit offish. The house next door has since come to market at 5,000 lower and nicely decorated throughout with the carpets staying!
    Have had word today from the solicitor we should be in a position to exchange at the end of the week but after the hassle with vendors refusing to budge our requested 3,000 for survey results and taking the carpet I am tempted by the house next door. Is it immoral to try and renegotiate when this far into the house purchase? The house they are buying is empty so only us in the chain. Any advice welcome!
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    Some people may consider it immoral, others may not.

With the sums of money involved in buying and selling you really have to look after number 1.

What is the situation of the people selling the house next door?

Very unusual for a seller to be taking carpets these days.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 6th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    Lol they are taking carpets. Dont buy from them, that will teach them
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    Carpets are unhealthy anyway, hold dust and kick up dust when you clean them. Wet mop hard floor is the most healthy provided you have not got some issue with cold or blood circulation issues to your feet or structural foot weakness or no neighbours to hear extra noise of a hard floor.

But you wanted the carpets and they broke the deal, i would renegotiate mentioning price of house next door.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,196 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    Go and take a look and see if you actually like it. Also see what sort of chain they are in and then use that as a bargaining tool.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    • 62,480 Posts
    • 365,932 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    I'd at least get a viewing of the house next door..... you won't know what you think until you see it in the flesh - photos can be misleading and omit unsightly aspects.
    • flyddo
    • By flyddo 6th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    flyddo
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    We have already viewed next door a few weeks ago before it came onto the market when we were introducing ourselves as the buyers of the house next door. They haven't found anywhere yet which works against us.
    I don't think asking for 3,000 off the 285,000 was unreasonable but they say they won't be able to afford the house they are buying.
    I know how I would feel if I was on the receiving end of someone asking for 3,000 off an agreed price but it feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

Arrrrgghhhh need to.make a decision!!
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 6th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 19,985 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    But why were you asking for 3k off?

If the survey has come in, and stated the current value is 285k, I wouldn't budge either. And if you said you wanted 3k off because of some small issues I also would think you are taking the mickey.

If the survey came in at 282k and X, Y and Z would bring it up to 285k then fine.

Which is it?
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    what was it originally on for again?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 13,686 Thanks
    hazyjo
    What did the EA's particulars say re carpets, and what did their fixtures & fittings form say? I would argue they can't change their minds at this late stage if they initially said they were staying. One for your solicitor.

If they do stay, expect them to leave them minging.

My guess is they may start taking one up, but until all their furniture is out they ain't gonna be able to take them all up. They will have far more pressing matters to deal with on the day of completion. I doubt very much they'll have time to pull up a load of carpets and take them with them.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    cjdavies
    If you like next door, go for it.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 6th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 7,009 Thanks
    pimento
    Tell them you're viewing the one next door and see what they say.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • flyddo
    • By flyddo 6th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    flyddo
    Survey picked up that brickwork needs repointing and chimney stack taken down and rebuilt. Ventilation system needs to be installed as no trickle vents on Windows or extraction fans in bathroom and kitchen. 3 new windows needed also. Garage roof also needs to be taken down and redone so will also need scaffolding. Surgery quoted 9,000 for all necessary work so when we asked for 3,000 off we were being generous I thought! The vendor has somehow got hold of my mobile number and had text me today to see if we can exchange Friday so now in a pickle as need to work out what to do. They seem.to be nice enough people.but like to.be in control of everything and I think they are taking advantage of us being FTB! Any further advice?
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 6th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 19,985 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    Lokolo
    As I've asked already. What did the surveyor say the current value as?

Those problems will effect the final valuation, but if the final valuation was still 285k, that is the value of the property WITH those problems. So yes, asking to pay 282k for a property worth 285k in its current state the vendor will rightly refuse.

Obviously they could accept, but as you pointed out, they need this cash for their onward purchase.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 6th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Survey picked up that brickwork needs repointing and chimney stack taken down and rebuilt. Ventilation system needs to be installed as no trickle vents on Windows or extraction fans in bathroom and kitchen. 3 new windows needed also. Garage roof also needs to be taken down and redone so will also need scaffolding. Surgery quoted 9,000 for all necessary work so when we asked for 3,000 off we were being generous I thought! The vendor has somehow got hold of my mobile number and had text me today to see if we can exchange Friday so now in a pickle as need to work out what to do. They seem.to be nice enough people.but like to.be in control of everything and I think they are taking advantage of us being FTB! Any further advice?
    Originally posted by flyddo
    They may know about the issues and have factored them into their asking price already, so your request for 3k off was a double discount to them.

What do you mean by "ventilation system"? Installing extractors to a bathroom and a kitchen and retro-fitting trickle vents to windows aren't expensive jobs whereas "ventilation system" sounds disconcertingly vague and possibly expensive.

I wouldn't get involved in private correspondence, keep everything through the EA and solicitor channels as appropriate. As for what to do next, only you can decide.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 17,383 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    AdrianC
    That's going to be interesting when they pop round to meet the new neighbours...
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 6th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    To be honest, those points on the survey don't sound dreadful. You won't find many "secondhand" houses without issues of some description. For instance, we have a flat roof on our garage which was brought up in our survey when we bought. 5 years later, the flat roof is still there and still in good working order. Surveys will nearly always suggest repointing, particularly on chimneys - they are not easily accessible, nor do faults become obvious because most people don't climb up on their roof very often. Also I don't think you can expect money off for 3 new windows. You should have spotted this when you viewed the property and the vendor could argue that as the windows were in situ at your viewing and at the estate agent's valuation, the price of the property would have taken that into account.

It does sound as though the house next door is better value, so of course, go for that one if you wish. Bear in mind though, your conveyancing will start again from the beginning and, as the vendors haven't yet found anything, you will have no idea how long the eventual chain will be. Decide whether you want to exchange within the next week or two, or in 4/5 months for the house next door. As you are a FTB, it may be that you are not in a hurry to move in soon.
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 6th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Morata_
    Losing a property or not completing on one over 3k wouldn't be for me, you will make that back and some, history suggest.

Only concern I would have is how much doubt this has thrown into your thoughts, is this def the house for you regardless of neighbour? No one can say its the wrong thing to do, 285k reasons is a lot you have to be certain on. All the best. (I wouldn't be happy they got my mobile number late in play to add a little more heat...)
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,242 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    They can't take the carpets if they said that they were included in the sale. Look at the property information to see what they said they were including.

House next door might be cheaper but it might also need to be in a chain which has more risk decide if you want to finish up buying one of these houses. Remember "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." You can exchange on the current one and buy it. Next door you could be in a long chain and not buy it and also the survey could be at least as bad and you may still not get any money off.

If you want to live in a house in that area the one you have got the chance to buy now is likely to complete and you move in. Next door anything could happen they might not even accept your offer. Who knows?
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 6th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Margot123
    And if your original vendors stay put, I don't think there will be much of a decent neighbourly relationship.

This is a situation where you could end up choosing your own neighbours but not the ones you want!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin