Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 6th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 497Posts
    • 98Thanks
    justaquestion
    Universal credit and savings.
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    Universal credit and savings. 6th Feb 18 at 11:30 AM
    Hi there everybody,

Just reading another thread on here and the poster Alice Holt (thank you) did a link to this PDF that outlines what may be considered a change of circumstances and the claimant had to apply for Universal Credit, in an area where UI has just been introduced.

https://www.welfare-benefits-unit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/What-triggers-a-claim-for-Universal-Credit-in-a-full-service-area.pdf

My question is if someone has savings over 16k does this count as a change of circumstances, and thus the claimant on legacy benefits such as child tax credits would have to apply for UI instead as natural migration.

From the article above.

Income and /or capital goes over different threshold
    Claim !!!8216;legacy benefit!!!8217; (depending on income / capital rules) (no UI area)
    Claim UC (depending on income / capital rules) (UI area)
    On contribution based JSA or ESA and believes entitled to IB-JSA or IR-ESA
    Claims IB-JSA or IR-ESA
    Claim UC

Can't get it to format right so a look at the above PDF appreciated.
    Thanks a lot for any clarification on this matter
    Last edited by justaquestion; 06-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 11,563 Posts
    • 13,462 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    Hi there everybody,

Just reading another thread on here and the poster Alice Holt (thank you) did a link to this PDF that outlines what may be considered a change of circumstances and the claimant had to apply for Universal Credit, in an area where UI has just been introduced.

https://www.welfare-benefits-unit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/What-triggers-a-claim-for-Universal-Credit-in-a-full-service-area.pdf

My question is if someone has savings over 16k does this count as a change of circumstances, and thus the claimant on legacy benefits such as child tax credits would have to apply for UI instead as natural migration.

From the article above.

Income and /or capital goes over different threshold
    Claim !!!8216;legacy benefit!!!8217; (depending on income / capital rules) (no UI area)
    Claim UC (depending on income / capital rules) (UI area)
    On contribution based JSA or ESA and believes entitled to IB-JSA or IR-ESA
    Claims IB-JSA or IR-ESA
    Claim UC

Can't get it to format right so a look at the above PDF appreciated.
    Thanks a lot for any clarification on this matter
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    If you are only on child tax credits and your savings go over 16000 then you would not have to move to Universal Credit.

Is this what you mean?
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 6th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    Thanks for reply, well I do receive esa (cb) and dla, but otherwise as a couple we have no means tested benefit.

I was just concerned that the pdf that Alice linked to, stated that if an area goes live for UI then under other changes of circumstances should a claimant have more than 16k in savings, then they would need to apply for UI rather than wait for natural migration as regards child tax credits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin