Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojocat
    • By Jojocat 6th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jojocat
    Health Questions
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    Health Questions 6th Feb 18 at 10:44 AM
    I'm middle aged and in very good health. I take care of myself as my parents passed away when they were in their early 60s. I understand that that will have an affect on premiums. I got a cold call thru' my work and said 'yes, why not....give me a quote'. But when I told them that I'm not in touch with my siblings so couldn't give their health history, the quote guys never replied back! Is it really that big an issue if I don't have medical info about my (younger) siblings if I'm healthy/ no medication/no appointments with drs/last time in hospital was to give birth (20 years ago)?
Page 1
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 6th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Weighty1
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    No, it shouldn't be a big issue, just like it wouldn't be an issue if you were adopted.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 6th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    You don't say what sort of insurance, but I'm just in the process of making a claim against our mortgage critical illness/life policy, so have the paperwork to hand. The wording on ours (I'm sure the details will be slightly different for each provider, but along the same lines) in respect of family health is:
    "before the age of 55, two or more of your natural parents, brothers or sisters did not suffer from the same condition from the following list:

any heart condition, including angina; stroke; breast, ovarian or bowel cancer; multiple sclerosis; Huntington's disease or polycystic kidneys
    ."
    My husband wasn't in touch with either his father (still alive and approaching 80) or brother at the time we took it out and said as much and I don't think it made any difference.
    • Jojocat
    • By Jojocat 6th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jojocat
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice. I'll look into this again. It was for 50k life insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter