Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisBint
    • By ChrisBint 6th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ChrisBint
    Single Radiator stone cold
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    Single Radiator stone cold 6th Feb 18 at 9:26 AM
    There is a small radiator in the en-suite that is stone cold, where all others are working perfectly. I have open and closed the valves and they appear to turn as freely as expected. A thermostatic valve was fitted and this was removed, I also gave the top of this valve a few whacks. Radiator is fully bled, no air is escaping although the pressure might be a little lower than others.

I was going to replace the valves when I have the system drained as I am replacing another radiator.

Aside from this, any other suggestions before I start smashing tiles up to make sure the piping is all present and correct. If anything, I would expect this to get hot quick due to it's vicinity to the boiler itself, but guess it could be at the end of the flow.

Thanks
Page 1
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 6th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    System could need balancing.......
    Read up about it on the internet.
    HTH
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 6th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    I've found sometimes opening the bleed valve on the cold rad while the system is on and pump running gets the system flowing again. You might have to alternate which valve you open by closing one side with the other open and swapping them over, as soon as water escapes you should feel the feed pipe (usually on he TRV side) heat up. As the hot water enters the rad and rises it may well start it flowing again. Valves can fail, especially TRV's - take the top off and push the pin down, it should spring back up.

Balancing is basically turning down other rads slightly (start with the one's that heat up quickest) to put more pressure on the cold rad.

I have also fixed a single rad like this by turning the pump to 3 when it was set on 2.

Start with the easy ones.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 6th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 5,192 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    When the C H is on turn all the working radiators off and see if the cold one warms up.

Sometimes a cold Rad is caused by an air lock.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    Grenage
    Is the feed pipe getting warm? It could be an air lock.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter