Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Feb 18, 5:54 AM
    • 1,378Posts
    • 13,603Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 6th February 2018
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:54 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 6th February 2018 6th Feb 18 at 5:54 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 19,397 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Its a brrrrrr morning here, frost, so I am going nowhere.....hope its OK Friday morning as I will need a trip to Aldi then otherwise we will be back to porridge fro breakfast.

Stripped the bed, everything in the washer, sky is very grey so it will be going in the dryer, sheet and 4 pillowcases and then the duvet cover with 4 pillow cases......dries quicker that way.

OH has requested egg and wedges tonight, will give him a small spoonful of baked beans with it. We did get the results of his blood test and the potassium levels were ok again.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 39,186 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning all

Well the dreaded snow has started it was just grey when I got up but looks like the forecast was right for once.

Heading over to see mother today depending on the weather I may skip our lunch and get back before it gets dangerous but hoping it stops soon.

Had some pea and ham soup last night with crusty bread and it was just what was needed. Got some for mum and some banana flapjacks for her pud. No doubt she will say nothing as usual.

Jackiemum sounds like you are all sorted with the CH which doesnt surprise me you dont realise how much you miss it till it breaks down.

Right time for a quick cuppa before the dreaded morrisons trip
    Keep warm everyone.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 43,980 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Typed a long post, my kindle decided I was off line so I lost the post!

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 38,950 Thanks
    Floss
    Csarina have you been able to find much low-salt stuff for your OH?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 15,967 Posts
    • 68,815 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

We had a few flakes of snow first thing but even they have melted now.

Prodigal been and gone.

Didnt do anything in the house yesterday after the weekend so i'll get started on it today.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 26,274 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    We had a heavy snowfall earlier and then it stopped. The forecast said it would head south east so we thought that was the end of it. But the weather seems to be disobeying the rules here as it has just started snowing again - with a vengeance and there is a good covering everywhere. Bah I am so sick of winter!

I had a long phone conflab earlier with one of my buddies. She wanted to sound off about her grievances with the NHS and the way she is getting mucked about. I let her get it all off her chest and then we had a good old catch up of gossip and news and putting the world to rights as you do! xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 15,737 Posts
    • 133,699 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay my CH chap is here hopefully fitting the part needed,DGS Ben just texted to say its started snowing in Norwich so its moving south I think. off to the shops for me after lunch,will be nice to have a warm house again though
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year Three months totals £96.53 April £8.98 . this morning short shop was 5.62 only bought essentials
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 9,518 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Well we were both in bed by 8pm yesterday but I woke at 4am coughing and I haven't stopped since . I can see a few nights sitting up on the sofa coming up too. It's strange that I always get a cough, but not Mr Fix It who's sneezing for Wales .
    We decided not to attend the funeral, which I am upset about, but it wouldn't be fair to anyone while I'm barking like a dog. Besides which we do not want to pass it on to anyone else. I will ring my friend later in the week, when I'm able to speak more than 2 words at a time, I'm sure she'll understand.
    So today is a duvet day, just had some tomato soup for lunch and had the foresight to buy some ready meals, so popty ping curry with rice tonight.
    JackieO please have a very Happy Birthday tomorrow . Glad you have your ch back.
    Take care all, hugs ( sent from a distance )
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 19,397 Thanks
    csarina2
    Floss.....I have managed not too bad, stuff like bacon and sausage he is only allowed once a month, there are pleanty of low salt stock cubes around, I just use less liquid and allow the gravy to reduce, one of the biggest changes has been that OH does not put a pile of salt on the side of his plate anymore.

I do look at what I am buying make sure the salt content is in the green range. I make my own bread, so can control the amount of salt in it. His salt count was ok at his last blood test. I am not convinced that the lower salt has influenced his vertigo, but we will see.

I am getting him walking further each day, we did not go out this morning, it was very cold and still frosty underfoot, so we will try after he has had his siesta.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 15,737 Posts
    • 133,699 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am a very happy old lady, I have my heating back and my house is toasty once more Just going to have some lunch then off to get some food shopping
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year Three months totals £96.53 April £8.98 . this morning short shop was 5.62 only bought essentials
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 10,368 Posts
    • 113,144 Thanks
    LameWolf
    *Crawls in on hands and knees, groaning* Got about 2 and a half hours sleep again last night. Oh for a spare bed I could decamp to.....
    I would cry but I haven't the energy.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 6th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 12,649 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Sending virtual hugs to you LameWolf.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Elona
    • By Elona 6th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Elona
    I had to set off for a blood test this morning and it started to snow. Snowed all day so far and very cold but it does not seem to be sticking. I bought a few ingredients to drag home and have just put a big pot of lamb stew on the hob and also a pan full of chicken and veg to make some soup.

JackieO

I am so glad that you have central heating again . Have a lovely birthday tomorrow and let the family spoil you.

Lame Wolf

Could you put our feet up on the couch and have a nap?

Hugs to all.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 5,952 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting us off. I have had a disjointed night of dreaming, waking and sleeping but nothing new there.

Flippin' 'eck but it's a cold one. I hope JACKIE managed to keep warm without the CH. It reminds me of the days when I was a child and woke up to find the windows all frozen up. You had to breath on them and rub a little hole to peep out of. I wouldn't like to go back to those days!

We have the kitchen man coming this afternoon to measure up and then price up. I cleaned the cupboard out under the sink yesterday in case he wants to look in there! Unbelievable the stuff I chucked away so now all tidy. I have chosen (provisionally) vanilla cupboards - is that the new cream? - and dark oak worktops. Apart from changing the sink the other way round I think it will remain much the same. The kitchen isn't big enough to have grand ideas sadly - but at least it keeps the cost down!

Not a lot else planned for today. We did our tip run yesterday followed by a wander round HB's but didn't let much escape from my purse!

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely. DUMPLING I hope Becky managed school yesterday. Take care all and keep warm xx
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    Hi TA,

When I had my kitchen done 3 years ago I decided on what I ‘absolutely’ wanted e.g. a warming drawer (so no excuse not to make bread), a wall space to have the rack for my Le Creuset put up, the special corner units, etc. Ended up with tower units down one along wall so also have a double oven and a pan drawer with the warming drawer, a tall larder type cupboard and drawers under the hob. Didn’t have room for a dishwasher but I don’t actually mind washing up as there are only two of us.

Hope it all goes well.

MrsSD
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 39,483 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon all - back from work which was OK today. And then I got a load of left-over paperwork done too so only one lot left.

Our local school had a fire today so that was the excitment for the week. Children sent home, firefighters out and lots of smoke and fire. Some poor children were in the middle of their Prelims so will have to start again tomorrow.

We've had snow flurries and then bright blue skies and weak sunshine but no heat. JackieO - good to hear you've got heating back again.

As for kitchens - I had a new one installed in 2014. My kitchen is tiny but I really like it. White units with wood tops. The oven and microwave are built in, my Franke sink is glorious and I thoroughly enjoy the induction cooker. No room to move, I can take things out of the sink and put them away in the cupboards opposite with only a turn around!

I took a bag of books to give to a work colleague and feel so good about it. There's got to be a change to me just buying books.

Right, time for a cup of tea and a wee sit down.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 5,952 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Happy Birthday for tomorrow, JackieO

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 5,952 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi all,

Posting very late today

Was dry, bright & sunny today but quite chilly. My DH put in the new fence panels (which were delivered last night) down one side of the garden (the other side was done a few years ago) He only needed my help for about 10 mins. If it is dry tomorrow, he will chop up the old panels & take to the Recycling Centre. DH did a trip on Sunday for all the other bits & pieces I have been turfing out of the house

I, on the other hand stayed indoors & Kondoed my clothes not much is going out - a few items to cs but mostly Rag Bag for cs. I have used the Kondo method of folding t-shirts & it really does take up less space - now I just have to Kondo my scarves which I don’t wear very often but some are inherited from my DM & are very, very pretty! My DH has also made decisions about 2/3rds of his clothes so now I just have to fold them & find enough space to store them

Good night everyone

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

5,756Users online

Martin's Twitter