Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eggyf7
    • By eggyf7 6th Feb 18, 4:53 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 8Thanks
    eggyf7
    Heading for Bankruptcy with StepChange question
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:53 AM
    Heading for Bankruptcy with StepChange question 6th Feb 18 at 4:53 AM
    Hi im currently in the process of being made bankrupt with StepChange charity but i have a question re my mobile phone contract.
    I am paying 65 a month and have 14months left of my contract with an early termination fee of 540 - can this be included in creditors? When my advisor asked for an ingoings/outgoings breakdown i listed 65 a month for phone but nothing was discussed further about my phone. i would prefer a PAYG sim
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 6th Feb 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:17 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:17 AM
    Basically yes - if you want to ditch the contract, stop paying it and include it in the list of creditors. However, it needs to be a 'provable debt' BEFORE you go BR
    Last edited by TheGardener; 06-02-2018 at 7:24 AM.
  • National Debtline
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    Hi eggyf7

I agree with TheGardener, you can include the termination fee in your bankruptcy but only if you are liable for it when you are made bankrupt. That means you need to cancel the agreement first. It sounds like it could be a good idea to terminate the contract as 65 per month for a mobile contract could be considered high, particularly in bankruptcy.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin