Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 5th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 935Posts
    • 185Thanks
    ceewash
    0 WOW
    Premium economy or business to China?
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    0 WOW
    Premium economy or business to China? 5th Feb 18 at 11:21 PM
    Planning a trip to Beijing and was wondering about treating ourselves to Premium economy, cheapest is about £900 with Air France, or paying the extra and going business, cheapest is SAS around £1500.
    Has anyone done these flights? Is business class worth the extra? Is there a big difference in business class between different airlines?
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 18,516 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    Qatar Airways Q suite business class seat looks great.

With premium economy, does the seat have a leg rest or foot rest or both? Is the recline angle of the seat one of the best?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 6th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    Too much at £2500 for business class!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    No personal experience of AF but there is a review of PE from 2014 here;

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/06/a-review-of-air-france-777-200-premium-economy-paris-to-jfk/

And mixed reviews here :

http://www.airlinequality.com/seat-reviews/air-france/
    Last edited by Nick_C; 06-02-2018 at 8:07 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    Too much at £2500 for business class!
    Originally posted by ceewash
    Where are you pricing your flights from? Anywhere apart from the UK is likely to be cheaper. Check starting from Dublin, Oslo, or Helsinki for business class.

What dates are you looking at?
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 6th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    I am flying from Manchester on 26/5/18 -6/6/18. Any tips welcome.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 6th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    We flew to Beijing via Dubai with Emirates economy class in 2011 - excellent all round, would do it again without hesitation.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 6th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    I suppose that is the other question. Which is the best/ most comfortable economy airline?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 18,516 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    I suppose that is the other question. Which is the best/ most comfortable economy airline?
    Singapore Airlines seems to top the list.
    • WorriedFriend2017
    • By WorriedFriend2017 6th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    WorriedFriend2017
    Emirates very good as they use the A380's. One of the best economy class seats, lots of space and legroom. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 18,516 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    Emirates very good as they use the A380's. One of the best economy class seats, lots of space and legroom. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
    Originally posted by WorriedFriend2017
    If itís a no first class A380, thereís an economy section on the upper deck configured 2-4-2, good for those travelling in 2s.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 6th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    pattycake
    My husband has flown business class from Manchester to Beijing on a number of occasions using Hainan Airlines. Direct flight. Cannot comment on cost as we were not paying!

He seemed happy enough with what he received.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    If itís a no first class A380, thereís an economy section on the upper deck configured 2-4-2, good for those travelling in 2s.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Also good when travelling in 4's - 2x2 in consecutive rows, all within easy reach of each other. Better than travelling 4 in a row IMO.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    Singapore Airlines seems to top the list.
    Originally posted by richardw
    They are probably the best but all flag carriers I've been on are very good too. I think people worry it'll be like Ryanair. It isn't.

Generally you'll get free food and drink, films including recent releases and other entertainment like games. You don't have to wait for the trolley runs if you're hungry or thirsty - just press the call button, or as I usually do have a stroll down to the galley and have a chat with the staff. They're not under the same pressure as short haul so they usually have time for a chat while they're getting you your next beer...
    Last edited by zagfles; 06-02-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 6th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    ceewash
    They are probably the best but all flag carriers I've been on are very good too. I think people worry it'll be like Ryanair. It isn't.

Generally you'll get free food and drink, films including recent releases and other entertainment like games. You don't have to wait for the trolley runs if you're hungry or thirsty - just press the call button, or as I usually do have a stroll down to the galley and have a chat with the staff. They're not under the same pressure as short haul so they usually have time for a chat while they're getting you your next beer...
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Can only see flights with 2 stops on the way back. It's the comfortable seats I'm looking for rather than food and drink.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    Can only see flights with 2 stops on the way back. It's the comfortable seats I'm looking for rather than food and drink.
    I've never had a problem with the seats, or legroom (I'm 5 foot 11). If you're very tall or very fat or have physical problems you might have an issue but otherwise I doubt it. Have a look at seatguru or flyertalk if you have specific requirements/issues.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The SAS flights are very good value for business class - nearly £1K cheaper than if you were starting in Copenhagen. Trouble is, you have an 8 hour layover in Copenhagen on the way out.

Apart from that long layover, the departure and arrival times are good. (Leave MAN at 10:00, arr BJS noon the next day local time) You will have use of the business class lounges at MAN and CPH, although the flight from MAN to CPH is one class (economy). On the return, you leave Beijing at 3pm and arrive back in Manchester at 9pm same day (local times).

On AF, you only have 75 minutes to change planes at CDG on the outbound. That would worry me. If you miss that connection, you will be facing overnight in Paris. The return leaves BJS at 1am and lands at CDG at 6am. I wouldn't find those timings convenient, especially if I had to leave a hotel by noon.

Lufthansa via Frankfurt has better timings, but is £100 more.

My preference would be SAS business class, and maybe go into Copenhagen on Saturday afternoon to do some sightseeing.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 6th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    pattycake
    I have asked my husband about Hainan Airways business class and he said it was fine and he also thought very reasonably priced. And donít forget it is direct. No layovers. I must say though that my DH can sleep on a clothes line so make of that what you will!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I have asked my husband about Hainan Airways business class and he said it was fine and he also thought very reasonably priced. And donít forget it is direct. No layovers. I must say though that my DH can sleep on a clothes line so make of that what you will!
    Originally posted by pattycake
    It's £2200 and there is no flight on 6 June
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    pattycake
    Sorry I was not much help then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,166Users online

Martin's Twitter