Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,258Posts
    • 736Thanks
    RG2015
    Same Credit Limit
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    Same Credit Limit 5th Feb 18 at 8:59 PM
    I have applied for three 0% BT cards in the last 7 months and was given the same credit limit on each one.

This sounds like more than coincidence and I was curious if others had experienced anything similar?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 17,215 Posts
    • 18,288 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    It sounds like coincidence.

Who were the lenders?
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 5th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    It isn't unheard of for lenders to match or slightly exceed existing credit limits on your profile if they're in the general range of what they'd offer you anyway.

It leads to odd figures sometimes being matched. My first credit card I applied for in the US had a limit of 15,600 USD. I was an authorised user already on someone's account with that limit...
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 5th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    I agree, likely to be coincidence.

I've successfully applied for numerous 0% credit cards over the last three years and I don't think any had exactly the same credit limit. Lowest was 1500. Highest was 7,700
    • No_6
    • By No_6 5th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    Looks like that is all you are worth
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    It sounds like coincidence.

Who were the lenders?
    Originally posted by zx81
    Virgin Money 24 months zero fee
    Santander 27 months zero fee
    Tesco Bank 22 months zero fee

All giving me 6.2k.
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 5th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    ricky_v
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    I tend to have been getting a limit of around 3k for my last 3 or 4 applications. I also find limits tend to go up with banks I have a deposit of a few k with, I guess because they have right to offset if the account goes into default.
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 5th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    Virgin Money 24 months zero fee
    Santander 27 months zero fee
    Tesco Bank 22 months zero fee

All giving me 6.2k.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    I agree, that's almost certainly *not* a coincidence... not three of them at such an odd level. Sounds like matching to me. Aka 'use our card, we'll trust you the same' - it *is* definitely built into some approval algorithms!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 5th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    It isn't unheard of for lenders to match or slightly exceed existing credit limits on your profile if they're in the general range of what they'd offer you anyway.

It leads to odd figures sometimes being matched. My first credit card I applied for in the US had a limit of 15,600 USD. I was an authorised user already on someone's account with that limit...
    Originally posted by AllieKat
    Being an authorised user on someone else's account isnt reflected on you or your credit history
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 5th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    Being an authorised user on someone else's account isnt reflected on you or your credit history
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    That was in the US where it absolutely is.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 6th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Prior to the credit crunch I used to always get 10k. Some of them then increased the limit later. After the credit crunch I didn't really apply until about 3 years ago. Since then limits have been much more variable. Clarity only gave me 4k for instance. I had two Barclaycard's at 10k each for years, then despite rarely using them they put one up to 11.5k.

I guess what I'm saying is it is complicated and you are unlikely to be able to fathom it out.

One thing I believe quite strongly is, don't mess with them. I struggle to understand why people ask for limits to be lowered. I open and occasionally close cards, but would never turn down a limit offered.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    That was in the US where it absolutely is.
    But it doesn't here - so it's just confusing people
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    How so? I made it very clear where it happened and simply used it to illustrate the fact lenders *do* look at your credit file when setting limits. Obviously, it wouldn't be set to an authorised user limit here!
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 6th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    camelot1971
    How so? I made it very clear where it happened and simply used it to illustrate the fact lenders *do* look at your credit file when setting limits. Obviously, it wouldn't be set to an authorised user limit here!
    What happens in the US has absolutely no bearing on the UK.
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    That's just not true. These are massive global enterprises, and subject to local regulatory and market demand differences, they generally behave the exact same way (as three 6.2K limits pretty much proves). It's common sense and an appeal to human instinct (e.g. 'I won't use X because they didn't give me as big of a limit as Y') to use existing limits in setting new ones.

Such a human instinct that marketers want to appeal to extends well beyond any national boundaries That said, *what* those limits are, doesn't. My first credit limit in the US was $15,600. Here? A mere 2,500.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 6th Feb 18, 1:43 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    camelot1971
    That's just not true. These are massive global enterprises, and subject to local regulatory and market demand differences, they generally behave the exact same way (as three 6.2K limits pretty much proves). It's common sense and an appeal to human instinct (e.g. 'I won't use X because they didn't give me as big of a limit as Y') to use existing limits in setting new ones.

Such a human instinct that marketers want to appeal to extends well beyond any national boundaries That said, *what* those limits are, doesn't. My first credit limit in the US was $15,600. Here? A mere 2,500.
    I lived in the US for 8 years and they use a completely different score system (FICO) which bears no relation to the model in the UK. I should know - I work in financial services.

So you mentioning limits in the US is completely unhelpful and pointless.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 6th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Raxiel
    I just applied, and was accepted for, a Barclaycard balance transfer card. The limit they gave me was exactly the same as the NatWest card I was transferring from.

I just assumed it was similar risk profiles result in similar limits. Still twice as much as I actually needed, but I'm not complaining.
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    If you find it completely unhelpful and useless, then just pretend I didn't give my own example of the most crazy version of this behaviour (giving a 15600 USD limit for a first card to match a limit). It was just a funny story, and this behaviour has nothing to do with scoring and definitely happens here.

Banks here definitely match limits, and I think it's absurd to deny that the limits the OP states are matched limits. I'd put money on it, if it was possible to get an honest answer from the banks. They're, to me, clearly matched limits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin