Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BrockStoker
    • By BrockStoker 5th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 200Posts
    • 87Thanks
    BrockStoker
    Correction in progress!
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    Correction in progress! 5th Feb 18 at 8:32 PM
    I've just seen the largest (single day) spike in volatility I've ever experienced (currently @ 106%). Certainly it's looking like this is going to be the largest correction since 2015!

https://uk.investing.com/indices/volatility-s-p-500-chart

Time to look at what to buy with the cash I've been holding!

More inclined to look at overseas assets/equities, but I have been thinking about buying some UK micro-cap for a while, and possibly some Chinese equities. Any one else shopping right now?
Page 7
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 6th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Uh oh, not another passive v active debate :-/
    • thenewcomer
    • By thenewcomer 6th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    thenewcomer
    It's already been tested multiple times. My allocation is currently 75/25 is 3 trackers and I'll do nothing until it hits something like 65/35 when I'll probably rebalance back to my starting target allocation of 70/30.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    do your ratios refer to share versus bonds?
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 6th Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    'Yes Prime Minister' sketch for those that aren't familiar.....

https://youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    So good that I had to watch it twice.
    Thanks for that.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Maybe Woodford will recover and Fundsmith give back some gains.......the closing prices today will be interesting, fairly meaningless, but interesting.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 6th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    TBC15
    Uh oh, not another passive v active debate :-/
    Originally posted by chockydavid1983
    And why not, we have to blame someone. The Daily Mail/Express tells me so.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 6th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Very interesting watching prices steam since the markets opened. Initial 3%+ drop on UK indices now recovered to under 2% drop on the 100 and All Share. Looks like Europe is following suit.

Not exactly the bloodbath suggested by headlines.

Just checked prices again. The 100 is now under 1.6% drop and the All Share under 1.7%.

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I may be naive but US and Asia is looking like a sharp but straightforward correction. UK and Europe: less sharp and a tad infected by US/Asian markets? Or am I missing something?
    Originally posted by DairyQueen

Media like to blow things out of all proportion.
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 6th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    I'm too much of a novice to add anything meaningful to the thread so decided to start reading 'Your Money and Your Brain: become a smarter more successful investor, the neuroscience way' (Xmas present). Can't be any worse than listening to/reading the BBC News.

Just checked the markets for the first time since I ate my toast this morning. The UK and Europe down around 2%. Dow and Nasdaq have dropped a smidge above 0.6% so far.

My portfolio is down 3.93% over the last week and 1.15% today. That doesn't seem especially scary in the overall scheme of things? But ignorance may be bliss.

Not planning to do anything except eat toast and watch. Would be interested in knowing how others are allocated at the moment, and the %age impact so far.

Before the correction began I was 4% cash and of the rest....

79% Equities, 21% Fixed Interest.
    63% Passive, 35% Active, 2% Individual shares (don't ask).
    UK 24.51, US 17.3, Global (ex UK) 16.18, Global (inc UK) 22.66, Europe 6.96, Japan 5.09, Emerging 3.35, Pacific Asia 2.4, China 1.55.

Yep.some crossover between the regions but I tried to allow for that in the selected funds.

Not heavily weighted toward any particular sector but the usual culprits do dominate a bit: financials, technology, healthcare.
    • Johnnyboy11
    • By Johnnyboy11 6th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Johnnyboy11
    Maybe Woodford will recover and Fundsmith give back some gains.......the closing prices today will be interesting, fairly meaningless, but interesting.
    I very much doubt this. ZeroHedge should retire Gartman in favour of Woodford!
    • Prism
    • By Prism 6th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Prism
    Not sure yet. So far Fundsmith has dropped the least of all of my funds (I have no bonds). Its about 5% down over the last week.
    • DiggerUK
    • By DiggerUK 6th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    DiggerUK
    Let’s see if I’ve got this right!
    There!!!8217;s a bit of a downturn in traditional investments.

Those invested in passive funds have been spanked, along with those in managed funds.......(I!!!8217;m assuming DIYer!!!8217;s are spanking themselves)

Those in balanced portfolios are getting spanked on both cheeks, and those in unbalanced portfolios are not sure from what direction they!!!8217;re being spanked.

What!!!8217;s not to enjoy about all the hot air that has gone before this thread, being regurgitated during this thread, and will continue way off in to the sunset.

On a serious note, what plans have any of you got to crystallise gains..._

All right....which one of you have hacked my post (remove numbers and it reads perfect)
    Last edited by DiggerUK; 06-02-2018 at 5:53 PM. Reason: 69743 09556
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Financial Adviser.
    ’Forward to the British Spring’ ‘Viva Wikileaks’
    • dharm999
    • By dharm999 6th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    dharm999
    Nothing to see, move along now please. Just another bump in the road, and as I'm in for the LT, stuck another £10k in today. Will put in more over the next few days if the correction continues. 10 years tiime, this correction will be forgotten (famous last words, I hope not!)
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 6th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    And, of course, the corollary to this being identifying the out-performers prior to the event.
    Originally posted by username12345678
    It’s not hard. As I said, the good ones do not outperform by chance.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 6th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    And why not, we have to blame someone. The Daily Mail/Express tells me so.
    Originally posted by TBC15
    And of course the Guardian blames no-one.
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 6th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    aroominyork
    My portfolio is down 3.93% over the last week and 1.15% today.
    I invest through HL and today's fund movements came through just before 5.30pm. You posted at 5.10pm so maybe the same for you. But if your falls include today's, please let me know your fees to manage my investments.
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 6th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    This means I have only made 13% in the last twelve months.

I suppose it will just have to do.

We'll manage somehow.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
    • JSCB
    • By JSCB 6th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    JSCB
    Funds are forward priced so if you put in an instruction tonight you will get the price at the next valuation point, often midday but it differs by fund, for instance Vanguard's LifeStrategy is 21:00. The settlement date and your contract note will follow a few days later
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    So if you purchased at 20:59 would you get todays price or have to wait for tomorrows?

Thinking practically, if I were to boost my investment tonight, now, at 6.30pm UK time, will my order not go through until tomorrow nights 21:00? Do you know when the latest is you can make an order?

With shares you know the price, make the order and buy pretty much instantly, with funds it seems a bit drawn out, especially in times of volatility when you want to make the order with only the best knowledge you can, which ordering 24hours prior to knowing the buy price isn't really!

Last time I brought the fund it took several days to go through and get the contract note!
    • JSCB
    • By JSCB 6th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    JSCB
    Was planning on increasing my VLS80 fund anyway, but is now a good time, or has the ship sailed and the markets already pretty much recovered?

Can see how the ftse's doing etc, but can't figure how to translate all that into the funds
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Was planning on increasing my VLS80 fund anyway, but is now a good time, or has the ship sailed and the markets already pretty much recovered?

Can see how the ftse's doing etc, but can't figure how to translate all that into the funds
    Originally posted by JSCB
    Your decision should not be influence by high frequency noise, but by long term trends
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 92,209 Posts
    • 59,376 Thanks
    dunstonh

Originally posted by JSCB
    You will know the answer to that in about 18 months
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 6th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    My portfolio is down ........1.15% today.
    Thats remarkably Good.
    My equity portfolio is down nearly as much as my biggest holding (SWDA World Tracker) which is down 3 times your amount -3.45%
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,574Users online

Martin's Twitter