insurance for driving test

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2018 at 8:58PM
    loskie wrote: »
    and the other driver needs to be able to drive the car insured to sit beside her.
    "a confident driver", "bought her own car", not yet passed her test, overconfident and underskilled perhaps?
    Other driver does NOT need to be insred to drive the car, not on the policy we want.
    Perhaps she is overconfident ;)
    Yes bought her own car, nearly 3 years old and paid cash for it. Paid 12 moth tax upfront and will pay the insurance in 1 go as well. Even filled up the tank on the drive home :)
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    rs65 wrote: »
    Tell her just to buy annual cover then.

As a learner? As soon as she passes the test her premium will change.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • baza52
    Paradigm wrote: »
    I thought that when i read this reply, once she has passed thats what she will do.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    baza52 wrote: »
    I thought that when i read this reply, once she has passed thats what she will do.

Be prepared for a steep rise, £600 in my boys case :eek:

I only have experience with the link I posted but they were very good... you do have to notify them when she passes & they cancel the policy immediately so you have to have other cover in place.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Why not as a learner.? They might still be the most competitive and she will earn NCB sooner.
  • baza52
    Be prepared for a steep rise, £600 in my boys case :eek:

I only have experience with the link I posted but they were very good... you do have to notify them when she passes & they cancel the policy immediately so you have to have other cover in place.
    Thanks
    We did dummy quotes for when she has a full licence and its coming in at just over £1000 so not to bad. Older cars were a lot more to insure
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    they require an existing policy on the car, we want one where she will be insured on her own car as long as there is someone with a full licence and 3 years driving accompanying her.

Thanks all the same.

Odd, they didn't when I needed 1 days cover to move a car last year.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It would likely be easier and cheaper to get her insured on a car that she doesn't own (your car, friend's car, etc). Either way, Marmalade might be a good place to look. https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/
  • baza52
    z1a wrote: »
    Odd, they didn't when I needed 1 days cover to move a car last year.
    Learning to drive is an exciting time, and one of the best ways to supplement your driving lessons is to practise in a friend or family member’s car
    To qualify for our learner driver car insurance, you must be a UK resident, hold a provisional licence and have a fully licensed driver with annual insurance cover to accompany you at all times. The accompanying driver must be aged between 25 and 75 year old and has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years. Our car insurance for learner drivers covers the driver between the hours of 6am and 10pm, and can be taken out for one day to three months.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Other driver does NOT need to be insred to drive the car, not on the policy we want.
    Perhaps she is overconfident ;)
    Yes bought her own car, nearly 3 years old and paid cash for it. Paid 12 moth tax upfront and will pay the insurance in 1 go as well. Even filled up the tank on the drive home :)

Why not just add her to the current policy covering the vehicle?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure