Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,734Posts
    • 1,884Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Not passing probation
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    Not passing probation 5th Feb 18 at 5:39 PM
    Been in my job a few months and I feel I'm doing OK ( there is room for improvement) but its clear my manager doesn't. Every time we have a review everything is negative. I try to mention achievements but he will still manage to put a negative spin on it.

We clearly have different management styles. What I think is a good idea. Eg I mucked in with the team to do a new task they were not keen on. To me that's leading by example and bonding with the team - showing them I don't think I'm above the work we were doing. He said by doing that I'm not showing leadership.

So I am worried I'm not going to pass my probation. Recently many people in the organisation had to apply for their own jobs and didn't get it / were let go prior to probation finishing so they are well used to getting rid of people.

I don't know if I should be looking for another job? I'm scared if they sack me I'm going to have to put that as my reason for leaving which might make job seeking even harder. Maybe I need to stick it out and turn things around? I do think at times that's impossible though as I don't think its only my work but my personality that doesn't fit. I can't change that!
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 05-02-2018 at 6:14 PM. Reason: T
Page 1
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 5th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 27,655 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    Why don't you suggest a mid probation review and use this to ask him about the areas which he would like to see improvement on and work on addressing those? At least you would then be being proactive and giving yourself the best chance of solving the problems before the end of the probation period.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    Thanks, I think that's a good idea. Part of the problem is he says things such as you are not demonstrating strong leadership or people don't have confidence in you and you need to make a name for yourself. I'm not sure what to do to turn that around. What exactly does he expect me to do ? I've steered clear of too many questions so far because I don't want to appear argumentative or sarcastic! The other day he questioned what one of my team did at lunchtime! Why is that even relevant?! It feels like he is thinking of stuff to pull me up on.
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 5th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    It's difficult with management style as people's views of what's right vary.

For every organization that likes a manager to roll their sleeves up with the team, you'll find one who thinks it's a waste of money to pay managers to do tasks that can be completed by cheaper staff.

It seems your boss favours a 'harder' style than you, maybe believing your team will take advantage if you're not tough on them, hence the questions about what your team member was doing.

If you want and need this job, there's little choice but to be the type they want you to be. At least until you've proved your worth, then maybe you can start introducing some of your own methods.

At the review meeting ask him how he would have handled the situation. You can then get a better understanding of what he perceives as good management.

Put your hands up.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    Been in my job a few months and I feel I'm doing OK ( there is room for improvement) but its clear my manager doesn't. Every time we have a review everything is negative. I try to mention achievements but he will still manage to put a negative spin on it.

We clearly have different management styles. What I think is a good idea. Eg I mucked in with the team to do a new task they were not keen on. To me that's leading by example and bonding with the team - showing them I don't think I'm above the work we were doing. He said by doing that I'm not showing leadership.

So I am worried I'm not going to pass my probation. Recently many people in the organisation had to apply for their own jobs and didn't get it / were let go prior to probation finishing so they are well used to getting rid of people.

I don't know if I should be looking for another job? I'm scared if they sack me I'm going to have to put that as my reason for leaving which might make job seeking even harder. Maybe I need to stick it out and turn things around? I do think at times that's impossible though as I don't think its only my work but my personality that doesn't fit. I can't change that!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    They have 1 year 49 weeks and 6 days to get rid of you with no issues whatsoever.

So if you have 'different styles' - adjust yours.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,805 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    If your face doesn't fit, or you have a different management style that you can't or won't change, then you have to face the fact that you have no happy future with this organisation and it's better to jump than to be pushed.

We cannot judge whether you are right, or the higher manager is right - there is no black and white from a distance.

Being right doesn't mean you get to keep your job, nor that you're ever happy there.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 6th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 2,293 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    I had something like this.

I got a management job - my manager was the previous incumbent and had a definite view on how the job should be done. She had a different style then me and thought I should toughen up. I, basically, compromised. She saw me being a little bit stricter but, at the same time, I was introducing a more relaxed way of doing things. That worked - the office was efficient and she more and more left me to it.

What did help (and I don not know if it is the same for you OP) was that she had her own office so did not see everything that was going on. And the staff liked me -and the way we worked - and were supportive.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    Thanks everyone. I think a compromise is a good idea, maybe demonstrating I've taken some of his suggestions onboard but without completely changing who I am.
    It doesn't help that he is completely devoted to the job. Single and works late nights, weekends, doesn't have a iunch break etc. That's OK if he chooses that but its unfair to view others as less committed if they choose a different way. I always work more hours than contracted but because I'm not always there late in the evening he thinks I'm not committed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin