Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 289Posts
    • 116Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Cheap Sanitary Products
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Cheap Sanitary Products 5th Feb 18 at 5:02 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks folks,
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • halogen
    • By halogen 2nd Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    will have a look next time I'm in the city and have access to an ASDA.
    I did previously look at inconcinence pants online but I got completely confused by trying to work out what simply stuck into exsiting underwear, what replaced underwear, what was disposable, what wasn't... it's a minefield. :-) Plus the sizing was challenging
    I do sew so I could may my own resuaable ones but... I can't see me dealing with the fuss of washing them to be honest. I'm also puzzled by how they attach to the underwear without sticky bits- the instructions I've seen for them show them with poppers or velcro on the back but what stops them simply spinning round so the popper bit is on the inside?
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 2nd Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    sleepymans
    will have a look next time I'm in the city and have access to an ASDA.
    I did previously look at inconcinence pants online but I got completely confused by trying to work out what simply stuck into exsiting underwear, what replaced underwear, what was disposable, what wasn't... it's a minefield. :-) Plus the sizing was challenging
    I do sew so I could may my own resuaable ones but... I can't see me dealing with the fuss of washing them to be honest. I'm also puzzled by how they attach to the underwear without sticky bits- the instructions I've seen for them show them with poppers or velcro on the back but what stops them simply spinning round so the popper bit is on the inside?
    Originally posted by halogen
    The ASDA pants are a combined pant with integral absorbent pad area which is about twice as long and twice as wide as a sanitary pad. The pants are elasticated and merely pull on. I would estimate they would fit someone at least uk size 24, if not a bit bigger.. there would be no sticky tabs as they are in one piece and are disposable. Though that means binning and presumably to landfill. But sometimes ones health comfort and dignity have to take priority.
    HTH
    Goddess
    • halogen
    • By halogen 2nd Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    Ahh that sounds almost perfect apart from the size... thanks
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 2nd Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 5,583 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Very heavy periods can be treated by endometrial ablation, if that's right for you and I'm not saying it is, your GP will be the one to discuss it with.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 2nd Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    Very heavy periods can be treated by endometrial ablation, if that's right for you and I'm not saying it is, your GP will be the one to discuss it with.
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    thanks but I don't have heavy periods at all.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 7,428 Posts
    • 10,734 Thanks
    KxMx
    Have to say I have tried every brand from cheap to expensive and I have yet to find ANY sanitary protection that's reliable for me. None of them are long enough or wide enough or sticky enough. (My back no longer bends far enough to make inserting tampons/mooncups possible).
    I've lost count of how many I've lost down my trouser leg, had to detach from my 'lady garden', or rescue as a screwed up ball from god knows where. I wear black trousers all the time and tend not to sit directly on my (unwastable covered) sofa now from too many experiences of leaving stains behind me from 'unexpected incidents'. The worry of embarrassing stains, plus the pain, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, thrush and general feeing of being unwell.. I bl**dy hate periods. Now I'm sneaky and dangerous and buy the pill on t'internet and take it back to back, so I don't get periods. I feel so much healthier. But it's not really a healthy solution and I'd love to find a pad that does what it's supposed to.
    I take the mini pill which is taken every day of the year, no breaks.

I have very little in the way of periods now.

I too felt it wasn't healthy but I've had several chats with Practice Nurse and have chosen to bow to her knowledge and expertise on that subject. She tells me it is okay.

I'd suggest changing pads much more often if you are finding they don't stay stuck etc. Or when I was heavy I used to put one the front and one at the back, no gap in the middle. Gave me a good felling of security to have so much coverage.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 2nd Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3,919 Posts
    • 9,911 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    You've lost me? What other options are there?
    I had periods that were extremely heavy.

My gp gave me medication that wasnít contraceptive based to help. Typically I now no longer need any sanitary items.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 4th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 7,286 Thanks
    avogadro
    Getting back to the subject of cheaper sanitary protection, I just buy them when they're on offer! Usual price for my pack of towels is £1.85 but they can be bought for as little as £1 when on sale. The trick is to stock up when they're on half-price.
    • queengoth
    • By queengoth 6th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    queengoth
    Not very money saving on initial out lay but I was very interested to read this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5449851/St-Albans-company-launches-UKs-period-pants.html
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 6th Mar 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Not very money saving on initial out lay but I was very interested to read this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5449851/St-Albans-company-launches-UKs-period-pants.html
    Originally posted by queengoth

I feel you would need as many period pants as you would change a pad or tampon in a day, personally these are not for me. I have pants and would ratherr use my cloth pads with them. Cheaper as I already wear pants every day!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 22nd Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    sunny_money
    Thanks MSE for starting this thread. Sanitary products should be free anyway, so any savings / discussion about choice is welcome until the time comes!

Some women choose to wear period knickers that are ultra absorbent to protect you from leaks, saving your normal knickers in the long run.

There are also actual Ďperiod knickersí that you can wear as a sanitary product!! Check it out: https://www.shethinx.com/collections/period-panties/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JykhrnO2gIV7gDTCh2ZWA9-EAAYASAAEgI1J_D_BwE
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 10th May 18, 12:57 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Mooncup is probably the cheapest long term, short of choosing to not have periods. I'd like to know of cheaper Vegan tampons tho for sure
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 10th May 18, 1:01 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    To the lady taking the pill, have you thought about the injection? It stops periods totally in most (obviously not an option if TTC, but very good as it doesn't matter about age/weight or anything)

Asda sell some night pads, Always maybe? They come with or without wings and are really long.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th May 18, 5:02 AM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Murphybear
    All right ladies, most men with partners know at least some of the problems with sanitary problems and can sympathise but spare a thought for your other half.
    A great deal of men also have problems, especially those with prostate problems, which have had a great deal of publicity of late with the rate of prostate cancer now overtaking the rate of breast cancer.
    Prostate cancer patients have a great problem with urinary retention and need a pad just the same as ladies but if you search for them in all the supermarkets all you find at the end of the big ladies aisle of sanitary products are a box of 10 Tena for men level 2 retailing at £4.00. A rip off at 40 pence each and I have found no alternatives.
    Let's hear it for the men for a change, any solutions out there?
    Originally posted by Sraider
    Canít help you with the men products but speaking as one of many women who has post menopausal stress incontinence (and thatís still there after having an operation) I find that the cheaper pads are not worth buying as they tend to scrunch up. Iíve tried every brand on the market and stick to Tena or similar. I always stock up when there are special offers. Have you thought about buying in bulk online? Most things are cheaper that way
    • kacie
    • By kacie 10th May 18, 8:19 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    kacie
    I use reusable cloth pads (can't get on with tampons or a cup), the initial outlay is costly but nearly 3 years down the line and the savings are mounting up!! They are so comfortable and I have never had one leak (try saying that about disposables). I wish I had discovered them years before!
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    I'm with you on the reusable cloths pads, so much more comfy and they last longer, a bit of an outlay to begin with but worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,046Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin