Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • s88
    • By s88 5th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 6Thanks
    s88
    PCN / NTK Scotland
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    PCN / NTK Scotland 5th Feb 18 at 4:50 PM
    Hi. At the start of December, a friend used a shopping centre car park that had recently started applying parking charges ( used to be free, then P&D, then free once again, now P&D ).

They were not aware of any new charges that apply, and rather clumsily parked in a disabled bay which was mistaken for a normal bay ( poor signage & markings ). They came back to their car after 20minutes to find the little yellow ticket directing them to MyParkingCharge with a serial number written on. I told them after the event to ignore the ticket, and not to log on to that website ( as I assumed this would be acceptance of liability ).

Fast forward a few weeks, they have received NTK ( posted 19/01 ). The company is Vehicle Control Services LTD, from Sheffield, and the contravention is parking in a disabled bay without badge.

I've never been in this situation myself, so offered to do a bit of digging on their behalf. I've read the newbies guide, which says to complain to store ( shopping centre? ) manager. Should this just be about how the bay is indistinguishable from normal bays? ( it was the last allocated disabled bay before normal ones ). I imagine this complaint will fall on deaf ears, so would they then proceed to ignore all future communications? They are worried about being identified, as they read the ticket, then had a wander to look for information on charges etc, so fear being caught on CCTV.
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    did you read the newbies thread? there was a topic regarding tickets in scotland and NI

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

parking Cos do not use CCTV , shopping centre security do , but will not hand any data over
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 17,572 Posts
    • 27,779 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    After complaining to the landowner/retailer, then its ignore anything else other than a vanishingly unlikely issue of court papers for the Sheriff Court.

They are worried about being identified, as they read the ticket, then had a wander to look for information on charges etc, so fear being caught on CCTV.
    So VCS know what they look like? Are they a celebrity or something?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • s88
    • By s88 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    s88
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    did you read the newbies thread? there was a topic regarding tickets in scotland and NI

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

parking Cos do not use CCTV , shopping centre security do , but will not hand any data over
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Yes, I have read the newbies thread, to which Scotland is only mentioned here:
    Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ODD POSTS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD 'NAME THE DRIVER'...FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS NOT THE MAJORITY VIEW AND SIMPLY ABANDONS THE DRIVER (USUALLY A FAMILY MEMBER) TO THE PARKING SHARKS, WITH A LESS STRONG DEFENCE. CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM. IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.
    All I can gather from this information is to complain to property/land owner, not to appeal, and ignore any further communications. Only asking for clarity, as it's a very big post, with lots of hyperlinks to other information, which -from my uderstanding- is essentially irrelevant in this particular case
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    Another point you should have gathered from that extract from the NEWBIES FAQ thread is :
    Never give away the identity of the driver.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    the protection of freedom act vdoes not apply in scotland/NI , therefor they can only go for the driver , not the keeper as in england

if your friend does not tell VCS the divers name , then they have a huge hurdle to jump

if you appeal you are likely to say "I did" etc , hence keep stum

return if you get court papers , only fools that admit to driving are being taken to court

expect LOTS of threatening letters
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • s88
    • By s88 5th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    s88
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    Another point you should have gathered from that extract from the NEWBIES FAQ thread is :
    Never give away the identity of the driver.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Oops, my bad. I wasn't aware I revealed who the driver was.

the protection of freedom act vdoes not apply in scotland/NI , therefor they can only go for the driver , not the keeper as in england

if your friend does not tell VCS the divers name , then they have a huge hurdle to jump

if you appeal you are likely to say "I did" etc , hence keep stum

return if you get court papers , only fools that admit to driving are being taken to court

expect LOTS of threatening letters
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Good advice, exactly what I was after. Thank you, will pass the information on.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    Oops, my bad. I wasn't aware I revealed who the driver was.
    Originally posted by s88
    I don't believe you have.
    I was just pointing out that you didn't note that as one of the points you had gathered from the NEWBIES thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

7,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin