Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 5th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,737Posts
    • 853Thanks
    StuieUK34
    Currys - TV - Failed to Deliver, options?
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    Currys - TV - Failed to Deliver, options? 5th Feb 18 at 4:44 PM
    case closed

Cheers
    Last edited by StuieUK34; 06-02-2018 at 9:59 AM.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    I did say that "appliances Direct" were also selling the same unit for 25 cheaper which they price matched
    I cant get that item from anyone else unless I pay a lot more money.....
    Originally posted by StuieUK34
    Get your refund and order from "Appliances Direct" seems to be the simplest option? Why would you need to go elsewhere?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    You havent lost any 'bargain'
    You can buy it cheaper.
    strange times...
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    There are plenty of 65in models available for less, order one of them instead.

You should also buy from one of the retailers that offer a 5 or 6 year warranty, such as John Lewis or Richer Sounds.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 5th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    z1a
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    "I'm told there Muppets," Hmmm.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    If they have no sock, they have no stock, where do you expect them to get one from?

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 31,606 Posts
    • 19,946 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    Buy from elsewhere like Richer Sounds or JL.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 5th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    case closed

Cheers Boris, only normal answer
    Plenty of 65" indeed, so I got lots of choice there, 70" not so much choice, the model I saw hit the spot, and was good on price (1198 for an LG 70"), few quid lower at A'Direct....
    They were the only 2 retailers showing that TV when I went for the order....
    Last edited by StuieUK34; 06-02-2018 at 9:59 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Feb 18, 12:25 AM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:25 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:25 AM
    it means I just accept that's how it is, as I cant expect them to get stock from somewhere ?
    Correct. If they don't have the item your only entitlement is to a full refund.

You have basically lost nothing once you have that refund.

There is no "loss of bargain" that I can see..

(and you neglected to state that Appliances Direct are also now out of stock in your opening post, hence my earlier response).
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 06-02-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    In-person sales ... unless their (note the correct spelling) T&Cs also allow the consumer to cancel the contract of sale prior to delivery of the goods, then a contract is formed and they are bound to fulfil the contract. If they can't then they must provide a remedy - a full refund is such a remedy, BUT Loss of Bargain then may come into the equation ... it would amount to damages for breach of contract.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    a full refund is such a remedy, BUT Loss of Bargain then may come into the equation ... it would amount to damages for breach of contract.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Surely that would require at least the threat of legal action?

It's odd that only two retailers (apparently) offered this model of TV and it would be hard to show "loss of bargain" unless the same model (not simply any 70" TV) could be demonstrated as being available elsewhere but much more expensively.

Curry's is not legally required to source and provide the TV, which appears to be what the OP wanted.

We weren't provided with any link to the actual model, but I can't help suspecting the OP has had a lucky escape.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    Unfortunately the OP has been annoying and edited his posts rather than close out the thread with the actual result.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 6th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    Sorry, got delayed with getting back online...
    Currys confirmed item out of stock on Monday, and that order was " you will be 1st when it becomes available".....
    To note, the guy in store on Friday who called the other Currys team muppets, said the it would be delivered and installed by 1pm Monday after me going to the store on the Friday to say where is my unit.....

As above, Currys helpline said no unit available when I called at 4pm....
    At 6:20pm, Currys guys turned up with the TV (hence case closed)...
    They had it down as the last job of the day to do......
    So told things by Currys, yet delivery guys had it in there van from Monday morning.....
    So End result is: "I got what I ordered, although late, and from a communications point of view, Currys say 1 thing, and delivery guy says something else, but end result, got what I ordered...."

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 07-02-2018 at 8:34 AM.
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 6th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    Why did you delete your OP? It's considered bad manners and poor forum etiquette....but you got your result so nothing and nobody else matters I guess.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 07-02-2018 at 8:37 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    you got your result so nothing and nobody else matters I guess.
    Originally posted by NCC-1707
    I suspect the OP may live to regret his purchase, as I don't believe it is the "bargain" he thinks it is.

I'd love to see a link to the item he bought.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Feb 18, 11:19 PM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    takman
    Here is the deleted OP:

Hey guys,
    This stems around the "loss of bargain" rule, but I don't know much about it, just heard the term "loss of bargain"....

On Tuesday last week, I went into Currys store and placed an order with them for a TV, Bracket and fitting....
    They take my money, and tell me the TV will be delivered Friday and installed Friday.

Friday comes, no TV, so I go back to the store, they call whoever they call, I'm told there Muppets, and that the order will be delivered on Monday.

Its now Monday, and no TV, so I call the main number, quote my ref, the muppets tell me the item is no longer in stock and no delivery date. I look on the website and it also shows no stock.

Sooooooooooooo, what to do...
    At the time of order, the item was in stock and showing available to order online, but I went to the store instead as was buying accessories.
    I did say that "appliances Direct" were also selling the same unit for 25 cheaper which they price matched (70" LG TV)...
    If item wasn't available, they wouldn't have been able to take an order or full payment.

I cant get that item from anyone else unless I pay a lot more money.....

So on that note, I will be visiting the store tomorrow morning, but as it stands, I potentially could have ordered from someone else and got the item, but choose Currys, they took my money which to me, makes me believe we formed a contract to supply the goods at that cost....

Any input as to what I can do to swing things, or will it be a case of full refund, and don't make the mistake of ordering anything from Dixons Group ever again ?
    Next unit they have avail is a 75" but it's 500 more.......

Cheers
    It must be this TV you have bought:
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-70uj675v-70-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10169850-pdt.html

It's the kind of TV that someone who just sees the 70" and only cares about the size. I wouldn't say it's a bargain as it's a budget TV with a budget price for someone who doesn't really care about getting the best picture quality.

If you work it out it's about 4.8 times the area of a 32" TV, so it's like paying 250 for a 32" TV which is very much in the budget range.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's the kind of TV that someone who just sees the 70" and only cares about the size. I wouldn't say it's a bargain as it's a budget TV with a budget price for someone who doesn't really care about getting the best picture quality.
    Originally posted by takman
    As I suspected.

Do note that some of the original posts on this thread have also been the subject of moderator edits so probably wise not to re-post them..
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Feb 18, 2:58 AM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    Given LGs manipulation of 4k HDR marketing and their interpretation of the standard,I wouldnt given them a penny even if it was a good screen.
    Having seen their lower end screens next to the competition I cant see how anyone would buy them if they saw the same.
    i say this as someone who was very happy with my LG plasma and LCD before it.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 7th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 3,881 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    ThumbRemote

If you work it out it's about 4.8 times the area of a 32" TV, so it's like paying 250 for a 32" TV which is very much in the budget range.
    Originally posted by takman
    In what world is there a linear relationship between the TV size and the price??
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 20,138 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    In what world is there a linear relationship between the TV size and the price??
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    It was a spurious formula I agree. However, it's still a budget TV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

709Posts Today

6,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin