Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tissot
    • By tissot 5th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 14Thanks
    tissot
    iphone cables become faulty
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    iphone cables become faulty 5th Feb 18 at 4:18 PM
    After the original iphone cables broke I have bought a reinforced 'belkin' cables. (3 for price of 2). All of them become faulty within 6 month. I have bought a 'case logic' cable which broke within first month. I have recently purchased a cable (made by Cylo - have not heard about this brand before) at Tk-Max. It lasted less than 2 month. There is no physical damage - they just stop charging the iphones.

Has anyone had similar problem? I wonder is it possible that a handset is damaging a cable?
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 28,932 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    iPhone don't recommend that you use only their cables for nothing

I just buy from the £1 shop now , they work for a few weeks and then stop but seeing as they only cost a £1 I don't worry

Go buy a genuine cable and see how you get on
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 6,758 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    You may find your charging port needs a little clean out.
    Hiraeth
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Feb 18, 5:03 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:03 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:03 AM
    Home bargains have them for a pound each and they work ok. Keep your port clean and don!!!8217;t use your phone whilst charging. I!!!8217;ve never had a wire that lasts long no matter how much they cost.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Feb 18, 6:52 AM
    • 32,854 Posts
    • 38,440 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:52 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:52 AM
    Buy original only

Don't unplug the phone end by pulling on the cable , take the time to grip the lighting connector
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    We have two iPhones (SE models) and are still using the original cables after 18 months use. As Browntoa mentions, handle the cables with care and only pull them out by the Lightning connector.

There are a lot of flimsy cables out there, beware of Pound Shop and eBay ones, the original Apple cables have been fine for us.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    use a bent paperclip to clean out the fluff from the lightening port. Often the cable is fine but the connection is poor due to a build up of fluff.
    If it is a named brand cable try to return it, I had success with Anker and a cable I bought from Amazon that only lasted 6 months.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 6th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    I would recommend using something nonmetallic (plastic etc) as a metallic item could easily damage the rather flimsy connection pins. It could even short them out!
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7,186 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    d123
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    iPhone don't recommend that you use only their cables for nothing

I just buy from the £1 shop now , they work for a few weeks and then stop but seeing as they only cost a £1 I don't worry

Go buy a genuine cable and see how you get on
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Iíve had a £1 cable from Poundland in the car for over 6 months now, still working exactly as it did when I bought it.
    ====
    • rsvtoddy
    • By rsvtoddy 6th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    rsvtoddy
    I bought 2 from Poundland and they worked fine until my work iPhone went back. However occasionally they would stop charging from the charger but as soon as they were plugged into a laptop USB started working again!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 28,932 Thanks
    suki1964
    I would recommend using something nonmetallic (plastic etc) as a metallic item could easily damage the rather flimsy connection pins. It could even short them out!
    Originally posted by Mister G
    The guru at Apple used the pin that opens the sim holder to clean mr suki's phone out
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 7th Feb 18, 6:00 AM
    • 550 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mister G
    The guru at Apple used the pin that opens the sim holder to clean mr suki's phone out
    Originally posted by suki1964
    That's a bit worrying!
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 8th Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    jon81uk
    Originally posted by Mister G
    In the Apple store they always used the SIM removal pin so I assume a thin paperclip is OK too. If you have one then a compressed air duster can be used too.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 8th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mister G
    I suppose that at least if it does damage the connector/phone, then Apple will put it right at their expense?

Personally, I would still use something non-metallic or even the compressed air duster suggested.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,826Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin