Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlassPanda
    • By GlassPanda 5th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GlassPanda
    Using Equity to Pay Off Mortgage
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    Using Equity to Pay Off Mortgage 5th Feb 18 at 3:46 PM
    Hello All

This may or may not be a daft question but I've been going round in circles looking for an answer.

Essentially I am looking to understand whether it is possible to use the increase in the value of my house to pay off a large chunk of my mortgage. We've done a lot of work to our house and had it valued at 75k more than we bought it for in 2015. We currently have about 130k remaining on our mortgage and want to be able to use the increase to pay off some of our mortgage - is this possible?

I know I can get better LTV on a new deal but want to understand how best we can be mortgage free and the 75k increase will obviously help go a long way.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 16,813 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    If you borrow 75k to pay off 75k, you still owe 75k.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    You'd need to sell your property to release the value increase and then you'd need to buy another property with a smaller mortgage to result in a lower loan amount.

Otherwise, the only immediate benefit you could get will be better borrowing terms as a result of lower LTV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin