Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 5th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 871Posts
    • 206Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Council succession
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    Council succession 5th Feb 18 at 3:14 PM
    My partner and I are joint tenants. As normal there is only one succession. I understand when one of us dies the succession would go automatically to the surviving partner.

I worry so much about our two children, when they grow up and finding a place to live.

Is there a way to increase the succession for our council place?

I sometimes see adult children taking over after their two parents die?

I cannot afford to buy the place even with right to buy. I feel sad when parents die, they put all the household things in the bin and throw out the people and making them homeless.

Thanks
Page 1
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 5th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 4,630 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    Why do you think that your children will still be living at home and dependant on you? I am sure you will bring them up to be independent and make their own way in this world.

It's no different private renting.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 5th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9,442 Posts
    • 12,654 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    What sort of council tenancy do you have - secure, assurred, introductory? Does your written tenancy mention any specific succession rights? Without knowing answers no way of advising you.

And this bunch of clowns seem so keen on making things harder for council tenants, so don't be surprised if Mother Theresa changes the rules anyway.

Nothing is guaranteed.
    • Cyclemonkey1
    • By Cyclemonkey1 5th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Cyclemonkey1
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    Exactly. My partner's dad died last year and we had to clear out and hand back his flat to the council. No one was made homeless as he was in his mid eighties and had long since moved into a little council owned retirement studio flat - his children are all grown up and in their forties and fifties with homes and families of their own.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 5th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    from the councils point of view if they allow one family lots of successions then they are keeping one family in council housing for generations while other families who need it more are stuck in b&b's or the private sector
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 5th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 29,094 Posts
    • 74,372 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    I feel sad when parents die, they put all the household things in the bin and throw out the people and making them homeless.
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    This would only happen to personal possessions if family or friends didn't clear the house.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 5th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    This would only happen to personal possessions if family or friends didn't clear the house.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Agree with this.

My parents are elderly and have always lived in council properties. I also have experience of helping them move into properties where the previous tenant has either died or moved into a care home. The time between one tenancy and the next allowed plenty of time for family members to clear things out and keep what they wanted.

OP, what makes you think that you will be living in this house until your death or incapacity? It's much more likely that, like my parents, you will have moved to a smaller property with a smaller rent.

My parents had 3 children , none of whom will find it convenient or helpful to take over their home when they die. Why would we want to live in a tiny one bed bungalow with our families?
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    Secure tenancy we have, it's a council flat 2 beds. Even RTB is so expensive with discounts!
    2 beds, dining room and small kitchen worth 300K!
    I guess as parents, we want the best for our children.
    But I guess, most views were right but hard to accept.

Thanks
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    I can't see two grown up children with families of their own wanting to live in a 2 bed council house?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 25,119 Posts
    • 14,801 Thanks
    xylophone
    I worry so much about our two children, when they grow up and finding a place to live.

The 20,000 to each child being gifted now by a kind relation should (carefully saved/invested), enable them to make a good start on the deposit for a house when the time comes.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788970
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

818Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter