Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pauls100
    • By pauls100 5th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pauls100
    Attempt to cancel my moms contents insurance
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    Attempt to cancel my moms contents insurance 5th Feb 18 at 2:19 PM
    I deal with my moms insurances and usually pay with my credit or debit card , avoiding where possible auto renew . A Tesco renewal has just come up and I attempted to inform them that renewal was not required ( as we have better terms elsewhere) but they insisted on speaking to the policy holder which is normally not a problem but mom is currently in hospital. I understand them wanting to speak to her, data protection and all that, so I changed tack and said that the auto renewal ( which I had missed) was on my card and I was not prepared to give my consent to its use.
    They then told me that I must have given consent to the auto renew, which I did not explicitly, and therefore the policy holder must inform them. They said I could cancel the payment with my bank but the policy would still renew and would then show a debit. At this point I gave up.

My question is, are they correct in refusing to listen to me about my credit card and implying that because I was supposed to have agreed to auto renew that they could ignore my wishes unless someone else tells them to the contrary.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    Yes, they are correct. You did read the original terms and conditions I trust? You'll have ticked to say you did.

Is your mum able to sign a letter? If so you can cancel that way.

If you're having to manage your mother's financial affairs you should look into power of attorney.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 5th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    Or take the phone into the hospital, dial the number and let her tell them.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 20,340 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    *removed by forum team*
    Originally posted by TrickyDicky101

Not so easy if the OP's username is indicative of their gender!
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 05-02-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 5th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    Not so easy if the OP's username is indicative of their gender!
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Amazingly, I've impersonated my wife when talking to her bank (she didn't want to do it as she wasn't comfortable dealing with their customer service team). I like to think I don't have a feminine voice but the bank staff didn't raise a (metaphorical) eyebrow
    • pauls100
    • By pauls100 5th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pauls100
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    Great thanks, just interested in the responses, I do have power of attorney but just to cancel a policy is too much hassle to prove. I have done the letter and have her (real) signature. Didn't want to bother her with the the phone in hospital but considered that.
    The credit card details they have are out of date anyway, but that was not the point!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,588Posts Today

6,832Users online

Martin's Twitter