Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onager
    • By Onager 5th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Onager
    Engagement Ring Damaged
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    Engagement Ring Damaged 5th Feb 18 at 1:49 PM
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I went to a jewellers in 2015 and bought my partner and engagement ring. It was a one off design by the jeweller, and they had to increase the ring size by 1 or 2 sizes to an S.
    My partner is a nurse so only wears the ring 2 or 3 days a week so not much wear but last year we had to take it back as it was all misshapen, and we had to pay 80 for repairs, as it was outside their guarantee period. But again about 4 months or so later she noticed that it was braking through the band, and was misshapen again.
    On taking it back to the jewellers they said it must be being mistreated, using the gear stick on the car (!!) and it was her fault, so would have to pay another 90 to repair.
    They have said it can have a new band that is slightly wider put on it, which will stop this happening again, which implies to me that there is a fault with the ring.
    I hope that made send.

Does anyone know what rights we have as I have never seen this happen to a ring before, and in my few has not been fit for purpose. Having paid nearly 400 originally, then 80 2 years later, and now expected to pay another 90 4 months on to me this seems wrong. Especially with the owners attitude, I have been quite shocked.

Thanks in advance for any advice people have.
    Glyn
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 5,722 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    They have said it can have a new band that is slightly wider put on it, which will stop this happening again, which implies to me that there is a fault with the ring
    You bought a ring with a narrow band, a thicker one will be more durable, but that doesn't make the ring faulty.

• Onager
    • By Onager 5th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Onager
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    I think our issue is really how easily damaged and broken it has got twice in 2 years. When she, especially after the repair, looks after very carefully, taking it off for washing up, work etc.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 35,944 Posts
    • 46,294 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    I think you answered your own question. You had ir resized upwardly stretched by two sizes which makes the band so much thinner.
    If i am reading it right, 500 is not a great deal for a decent engagement ring, sorry, no offence
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    Have the shank replaced with a wider one but at the right size. Resizing especially to make larger must weaken it - you do not say what it!!!8217;s made of.
    • Onager
    • By Onager 6th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Onager
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    Sorry, it's a 9 carat band with diamond and tanzanite.

It was a one off made by the jeweller, so they resized it themselves by 2 sizes to fit.

Think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and pay the extra to get a wider band. Just disappointing having to pay half the price again on the ring within 2 years. Will just not use that place again.

Thanks for all the advice people
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter