Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 5th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    gbtillies
    BA Amex Card - they not letting me spend my credit
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    BA Amex Card - they not letting me spend my credit 5th Feb 18 at 11:33 AM
    Recently got a BA Amex Premium Plus credit card (for all the perks). This query is not about the credit limit they have given me. I used my full credit allowance and as soon as it hit the account I paid it off in Full. I tried to use my credit limit again and it wouldn't let me even though it was showing as available. I called them up and they told me that I would have to wait until I had paid the balance off when I get my statement. I explained I had already paid the balance and it was showing my full credit as available and a zero balance, they agreed that this was correct. They then told me that I could only spend my credit allowance once a month and would have to wait until next month before I could use my card again. I was trying to pay off the balance on a BA holiday, resulting in me having to use a different credit card (which is paid in Full). Can they limit the amount of times I use up my credit allowance each month (and instantly pay in full). Many thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 16,804 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    Yes they can. Some lenders, though not many, limit total spend to your total credit limit.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 5th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    They didn't do this to me when I first had that card.

I think it had something like a 4.5k limit which I would clear 2-3 times a month.

Now I have a more useable 20k limit.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    molerat
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    I can't find it mentioned in the t&c.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 5th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gbtillies
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    Thanks Molerat for looking through the T&Cs as well! It has annoyed me that according to them I cannot use my available credit balance until next statement date but they were quite adamant about it when I spoke to them. But from what ZX81 says, it seems they can do that to me. Thank you Westminster for your reply as well, not sure why they would let you but not let me.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    When did you make the payment?

When did it appear on your credit card balance?
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 5th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    That's weird. I've had the same experience as Westminster.
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 8th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gbtillies
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    Hi Peaceful Waters. I made the payment on the 30th January, it appeared on my balance on the 1st February and I paid it off in full on the 1st February. It showed my available credit back up to full once more so I made another payment on 1st February and that showed up on my balance on the 2nd February, so paid that off in full on the 2nd February. It again showed my available credit back up to the full amount. It was when I went to make a further payment that I was told I can only go up to my credit once a month, even if I pay it off in full straight away, which is what I was doing - (despite them letting me do it twice already).
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 8th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gbtillies
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    Weybridge 78, was that recently please?
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 8th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    Over the last 18 months.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Did you pay it before the statement was issued?
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 8th Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Yes as it clears very quickly.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You should pay after you get the statement
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 9th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gbtillies

Yes, I paid it as soon as I saw it as a balance, well before the statement date.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    molerat
    You should pay after you get the statement
    Why is that of any relevance to this situation ?
    • gbtillies
    • By gbtillies 9th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gbtillies
    Why is that of any relevance to this situation ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    I'm with molerat on this, why should I wait until I get the statement please? Surely they are getting the money paid straight away and that is good?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 9th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Weird. Although it's many years since I was in the same situation, I never had the problem that the OP had. My interpretation of the T+Cs is that the credit limit is simply the maximum that can be outstanding at any particular time. Pay it off, and you can use the credit again. The statement cycle doesn't come into it.

But they are within their rights to behave the way they have: the T+Cs always give them the right to decline transactions.

I suspect there is something else going on, and that the call centre OP is guessing/doesn't know the real reason. Afterall, the "available balance" has been updated. Perhaps after a few days, the problem will clear.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 9th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Westminster
    I pay mine by debit card at any time I need additional available credit and it is instantly available.

The statement date is irrelevant for this purpose.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    molerat
    ....... the call centre OP is guessing/doesn't know the real reason.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Which is most likely the real situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

670Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin