Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 19th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Come on MSE. We're approaching two months of having this ridiculous bug. Switching off Unicode support might have been a decent short-term workaround to your spam problems, but it's time to find a real solution to that and let us use Unicode again. !!!55357;!!!56864;
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 21st Mar 18, 12:03 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    I’m still seeing ‘phone number’ spam early mornings, which could be fixed easily using a filter to detect that kind of post.
    Fixing the wrong thing?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 21st Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    Oh and the bug only happens when I edit a post with apostrophes, never on the first post. How is Unicode connected with that scenario?
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 26th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10,148 Posts
    • 16,568 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74074236&postcount=672

Just bumping this thread to see whether any progress in resolving the problem. The above post is nearly impossible to read.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 29th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Had a PM update today from MSE Andrea - not very satisfactory.

" Hi! I don't have an update on that at the moment other than what we've posted on the Site Feedback board here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856

I'm afraid we can't prioritise this at the moment but we are taking an overall look at the forums in the next six months and this will be taken into account."
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 29th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 19,130 Posts
    • 86,664 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    Had a PM update today from MSE Andrea - not very satisfactory.

" Hi! I don't have an update on that at the moment other than what we've posted on the Site Feedback board here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856

I'm afraid we can't prioritise this at the moment but we are taking an overall look at the forums in the next six months and this will be taken into account."
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    6 months?!
    January wins: *4 piece bamboo towel bale* *Winter Wonderland break*
    Win £2018 in £2018: £816.26/£2018
    • J B
    • By J B 3rd Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    J B
    Not understanding this stuff at all, I'm a bit bemused when viewing this thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5819304

The OP's original post reads perfectly on my PC, but then, when Duck replies with the message quoted, all the apostrophe nonsense appears!!!

What the???
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 4th Apr 18, 12:09 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    Yes the bug occurs when you edit your previous post or someone quotes it - all apostrophies are converted into whatevers.

As they say, 'you can't get the staff'
    Even while we are still in the EU.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 4th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    Spidernick
    From my experience on these boards, a significant number of people have very little idea when to use apostrophes in any case! Its (sic) a complete joke.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 15,500 Posts
    • 14,591 Thanks
    sourcrates
    From my experience on these boards, a significant number of people have very little idea when to use apostrophes in any case! Its (sic) a complete joke.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Just do not use them, as long as the jist of your post gets across, i never question a persons spelling on a keyboard.

(although there is always one who does granted).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 25th Jun 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    Just a test as was having this problem. It's a right pain.

'''

Looks to have been fixed with the fix. Ta!
    Last edited by Lip_Stick; 25-06-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: To test on edit
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 4th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Surely you can still have Unicode switched off and code a fix to handle the affected characters?

Only seems to affect me if I copy and paste from Outlook so there must be some hidden characters that certain software/OS adds, can these not be stripped out when a post is submitted?
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 25th Jul 18, 8:09 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Still a problem. Other forums seem to have solved this basic data validation and sanitisation problem.

Come on, MSE! Electrify the software goblins!
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 2nd Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    MSE Stop blaming the victims
    MSE

Stop blaming the victims

First you blame it on Apple users, then it becomes apparent it is affecting Linux users, then Windows users tell you it is happening to them too.

For all of those considering setting up a forum

DO NOT USE VBULLETIN

MSE you need to sort this, look at this message, can't understand it at all

I have started a new diary of where I!!!8217;m at now - I!!!8217;m not sure how to share a link but if you click on my name it!!!8217;s the only thread I!!!8217;ve got x
    Originally posted by Overmyhead
    Users, whethere you are Mac, Linux or Windows, Tweet to @vbulletin that their crap software is causing this problem and they should sort it.

This is most effective when you reply to their media tweets

or email sales@vbulletin.com and press@vbulletin.com or support@vbulletin.com.
    Last edited by mbmonty; 02-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    • J B
    • By J B 6th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    J B
    Hi everyone

If you're having problems with forum posts with apostrophes showing as strange text this guide should help you.

Thank you to Glad for flagging it up

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/26/tips-turn-off-ios-11-smart-punctuation-to-avoid-data-entry-problems
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

So .... six months on ... you knew it wasn't just a crApple issue.

Why the delay in fixing it?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    I!!!8217;m testing before applying that fix.
    It!!!8217;s happening with iPhone not on posting but on editing/saving that post.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    Now I'm testing with the workaround- Smart Punctuation OFF.
    And I've edited.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    buglawton
    Workaround seems to work!
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It's not working
    Ah. It is.
    "Now is the winter of our discontent"
    That worked too.
    Last edited by legal magpie; 07-08-2018 at 1:04 PM. Reason: To correct error
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 3,326 Thanks
    LadyDee
    6 months! Why should people have to use a "workround" to post on a forum? In common with many others I suspect, I just can't be bothered reading posts that are full of numbers and explanation marks, so some new people are doubtless not getting advice or help they might have otherwise received.

About time this was sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

2,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin