Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 5th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 158Posts
    • 728Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Road Traffic Incident and Police Scotland
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    Road Traffic Incident and Police Scotland 5th Feb 18 at 10:29 AM
    This morning I was involved in an incident where no one was hurt and no vehicles were touched. I was driving to work and turned from a main road into the lane where the office I am working in is based. My office is near a school so I always drive slowly and crawl into the lane because you often get parents parking in the lane with doors wide open trying to wrestle young children out the car.

This morning as I was turning into the lane I had to come to a complete stop due to a van driver tearing towards me on my side of the lane. The lane is wide enough to accommodate two vehicles passing each other if both vehicles are taking it easy.

He point blank refused to move and told me to reverse. I told him that you aren't supposed to reverse on to a main road. (This is road which is very busy during rush hour and has parents and school busses dropping kids off.) He said that it wasn't a main road which is BS. He became quite aggressive when I refused to reverse, even if I had decided to reverse I couldn't because of all the traffic, so I just put my car in park.

He got out his van and sat on a wall to finish his cigarette and then got his phone out to take a photograph of my car and text someone/play a game/whatever. I turned off my engine and took a note of his registration and the company's phone number. I wish I had just taken a photo.

Eventually he got back in his van and manoeuvred past me, then revered back to hurl some abuse at me. I think he had been working on his parting shot and was quite proud of it.

I was concerned about his photographing me and my car, don't know why he just gave me the creeps. When I arrived at the office and told my colleagues they said I should report it so I have. Now the police are coming out to see me. I feel a bit silly and like I am wasting police time.

What would you have done in that situation?
Page 2
    • DavidF
    • By DavidF 5th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    DavidF
    OP may I give you a super effective tip if you are on the receiving end of VERBAL road rage. Put on your sweetest smile you can muster and blow a kiss and move on. I am a man and have done this on occasion - It usually leaves me chuckling at the other drivers expense for the rest of the day....with no violence nor retribution either. Trust me that works better than engaging with morons who loose their temper because they are behind a wheel.
    People can be so "different" when they get behind the wheel, Your totally normal mild mannered person can suddenly become an angry monster where they just would not when outside the car. Goodness knows what gets into their heads lol. I seen a good example last year where the shouter aggressive guy was red in the face and literally frothing at the mouth .....when the calm quite motorist got out of his car at the request of the loud guy it was a sight to behold.....Quiet guy was 6ft6" easy and well built angry guy was 5ft odd and when he seen the quiet monster get out of his car the loud mouth got straight back in his locking his doors opening his window a tiny bit before shouting some more expletives and then speeding off lol....Moral of the story loud mouth mad drivers should be careful what they wish for.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 5th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I wouldn't reverse on to a busy main road. Personally I don't see what is childish about stopping until it is safe to move again.
    Originally posted by Lover of Lycra

I've changed that for you

There's also a difference between stopping until safe to move and creating a mexican stand off
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 5th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tammykitty

I had to stop. I couldn't move forward because he was on my side of the road and I couldn't reverse on to a busy main road. Personally I don't see what is childish about stopping until it is safe to move again.
    I've changed that for you

There's also a difference between stopping until safe to move and creating a mexican stand off
    Originally posted by k3lvc

Highway code:

Rule 201

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 17,166 Posts
    • 15,473 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Two vehicles met at a point where there may or may not have been space for both to pass.

Both drivers refused to reverse.
    Both decided to "take a stand", and wait for the other to give in first.
    Both made a note of the other's registration.

Right, and... one of these is the bad guy who needs reporting to the police, while the other's an innocent victim?
    <scratches head>

The pair of you need to grow up.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 5th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    What is the point of involving the police? What do you think you are going to get out of doing it?

You had a disagreement with another driver about something which ended peacefully with nobody or nothing damaged except for snowflake feelings.

Absolute waste of police time.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 5th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    The point is that there was an incident and I thought it was better to report it than not based on the advice from my colleagues. When I spoke with the police officer I said I didn't want to waste their time but he assured me that I wasn't. Perhaps this is not the first time this driver has been involved in an altercation.

It has been interesting reading other people's points of view and I especially like DavidF's suggestion.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    The point is that there was an incident and I thought it was better to report it than not based on the advice from my colleagues. When I spoke with the police officer I said I didn't want to waste their time but he assured me that I wasn't. Perhaps this is not the first time this driver has been involved in an altercation.

It has been interesting reading other people's points of view and I especially like DavidF's suggestion.
    Except it's a company van, so there's absolutely no evidence of who the driver is at this time.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    Car 54
    Except it's a company van, so there's absolutely no evidence of who the driver is at this time.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Except it's a company van, and the company will probably have a record.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    Originally posted by Car 54
    You can clearly read - so the words 'at this time' must've been comprehended?

I doubt the police constable had checked who was driving before speaking to the OP......
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 1,919 Thanks
    Tarambor
    When I come across a similar situation in my lorry I don't reverse either. That is because I cannot safely see what is directly behind me. You in a car can see what is behind you far easier therefore it is easier and safer for you to reverse. When the car driver bluntly refuses to I just sit there too and usually get my newspaper out to make the point.

Looking at your description it looks like you decided to turn into the lane where he was already in the point that was narrow and you should have waited until he'd passed that point to turn in. You think its wide enough for two cars to pass "if both drivers are careful" which suggests that it is quite narrow. He wasn't in a car, he was in a van with very limited visibility on his left side. His van is also wider than a car so it would make it even tighter for him.

Sorry but I'm with him. You decided there was enough room, he disagreed. He was already driving in the narrow bit, you chose to turn into the lane and create the situation. His "tearing towards you" as you describe could have been him trying to get through the narrow part quickly to save holding you up but instead of staying put on the main road where you were you chose to turn into the lane because you're either impatient or you're yet another of the countless car drivers I encounter every day who simply don't think further than the 3ft in front of them.

As he was able to get past you when you eventually decided to move a couple of feet then clearly there was nothing stopping you reversing. You deliberately chose to create the situation like most of those who post videos of their dashcams just so they have something to put on Youtube.

As for the photo or even the video he might have been taking, he can do whatever he likes with it. It was taken in a public place, its his property. He can make up a mocking montage and post a video of your stupidity on Facebook, Youtube or wherever for the whole world to see if he so chooses. You might end up in one of those UK bad drivers compilations that are on some Youtube channels. Nothing you can do.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 05-02-2018 at 1:34 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 33,350 Posts
    • 28,226 Thanks
    custardy
    Probably? I would worry if any company didnt have hard records of who was driving their vehicles and when!
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    Car 54
    Probably? I would worry if any company didnt have hard records of who was driving their vehicles and when!
    Originally posted by custardy
    It's not uncommon to see posts on pepipoo.com where they don't.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 5th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    k3lvc

Highway code:

Rule 201

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
    Originally posted by Tammykitty

And just occasionally common sense takes precedence over the highway code and avoids such stand-offs
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Again, I am not disputing his right to take the photography but that doesn't stop me being concerned. That said there are laws preventing people from doing whatever they like with photographs they have taken. To hammer the point home I am not saying he has done something illegal or intends to do something illegal with the photograph just that I am concerned about his unknown intentions.

Hes probably just banked it for future use.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 5th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Interesting, so the consensus from a number of posters is that the correct course of action would be to ignore the highway code and for me to reverse out on to a busy main road rather than the van driver reversing into an empty lane and moving on to the correct side of the road.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 33,350 Posts
    • 28,226 Thanks
    custardy
    It's not uncommon to see posts on pepipoo.com where they don't.
    Would that be cases where the person (allegedly) committing the offence has also failed to fill out log books/paperwork?
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 5th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    Interesting, so the consensus from a number of posters is that the correct course of action would be to ignore the highway code and for me to reverse out on to a busy main road rather than the van driver reversing into an empty lane and moving on to the correct side of the road.

The consensus is more likely not to waste police time with something so trivial. Even if you were 100% in the right going crying to the police was not necessary
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 5th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    And just occasionally common sense takes precedence over the highway code and avoids such stand-offs
    Originally posted by k3lvc

However, if there is an easy alternative that doesn't break the highway code, then that would be the sensible solution, in the case, the van reverse a few feet, and easily go around the car.
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 5th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Och, just banter!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 17,166 Posts
    • 15,473 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Or look before you found yourself in a narrow stretch of road that wasn't clear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

1,746Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin