Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 88Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Airlines to be investigated over...
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Airlines to be investigated over... 5th Feb 18 at 9:39 AM
    Almost a fifth of airline passengers were separated from the rest of their group as they didn't pay extra to sit together, the Civil Aviation Authority has found as it launched an investigation into allocated seating policies...
    Read the full story:
    'Airlines to be investigated over charging for allocated seats'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That doesnít sound like much of a bargain to me. It was free up to last month.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Maybe it depends on what type of ticket you buy.
    Maybe their policy has changed.
    Whatever the reason, SAL website gave us the option of paying to choose our seats.
    There was no option of choosing seats for free.
    So we decided it was a bargain.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 18,516 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    I don't understand why this is not flagged as a flight safety issue. And I am a qualified Pilot and I really don't understand how the airlines are getting away with it even just on safety grounds. Say the aircraft catches fire on the ground, and I have to get my family out in all the black smoke. I can tell you straight up that I will not be heading for the nearest exit until I have made sure my family are safe, and I would imagine that every other sane dad on the aircraft will hhave the same idea. Lives will definitely be lost in the confusion. This is simply insane, and Ryanair are the worst of all.
    Originally posted by King Drax I
    It is a safety issue. Following a risk assessment, I chose easyJet instead of Ryanair for my flights at the end of May because IMHO Ryanair is an accident waiting to happen.
    Last edited by richardw; 08-02-2018 at 6:13 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 18,516 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    The CEO of Jet2 is Stephen Heapy.

sheapy@jet2.com

Why not ask him to justify this policy of separating passengers unless they "choose" to pay extra ?....
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Look at what they did to Mr Huzar and his family. You are mistakening them for an airline that give a monkeys.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Look at what they did to Mr Huzar and his family. You are mistakening them for an airline that give a monkeys.
    I'm not familiar with Mr. Huzar's case.

All I can comment on is how they treated me.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by richardw
    I'm not familiar with Mr. Huzar's case.

All I can comment on is how they treated me.
    I wasn't familiar with it either.
    I was expecting treatment akin to that suffered by Dr David Dao at the hands of United Airlines.

But it turns out it was just a case of a flight delay that went to court
    https://www.flightdelayclaims4u.com/guides/a-guide-to-the-huzar-vs-jet2-com-case
    Jet2 lost the case, appealed and lost that too.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Well done Mr .Huzar and thanks for the link.

This thread is about having to pay for pre-allocated seats though, not flight delay compensations, which is a totally different issue.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well done Mr .Huzar and thanks for the link.

This thread is about having to pay for pre-allocated seats though, not flight delay compensations, which is a totally different issue.
    Indeed it is.
    And it's not about seating children apart from parents either.
    • mel.d.walker
    • By mel.d.walker 18th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mel.d.walker
    Ryanair Seating Scam - Unethical Practice
    I was able to check-in with ryanair yesterday for 2 people. Was automatically seated rows apart on seperate sides of the plane, in AISLE seats. When I checked the seats on the plane over 70% of seats were available/free. Seats next to us both, and around us were free. I have evidence of this! This is an automatic system they have installed to split people up so people have to pay. In this case it would have cost £10 per seat. They are not honest or upfront about this. When I asked ryanair customer support, after waiting 15mins, I was ignored by the server. When I complained this was their response. A complete lie given the seats we were allocated....

Ryanair
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Ryanair.

We havenít changed the random seat allocation policy. More and more of our passengers are taking our reserved seats (from just £2) and these passengers overwhelmingly prefer aisle and window seats which is why people who choose random (free of charge) seats are more likely to be allocated middle seats.The reason of the appearance of empty seats is that these are more likely to be selected by reserved seat passengers, many of whom only check-in 24 hours prior to departure. Since our current load factor is 95%, we have to keep these window and aisle seats free to facilitate those customers who are willing to pay for them.This is entirely a matter of customer choice. We are not trying to force people to pay for reserved seats. We are very happy to facilitate any customer who wants a free of charge random seat but at the same time, we do our best to facilitate customers who are willing to pay for a reserved seat.

Yours sincerely,
    Ugur

The Customer Service Team

For and on Behalf of
    Ryanair DAC
    • mel.d.walker
    • By mel.d.walker 18th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mel.d.walker
    There is a distinct difference between a 'random allocation seating policy' and a system that is PURPOSEFULLY designed to seperate individuals.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 7,323 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Was automatically seated rows apart on seperate sides of the plane, in AISLE seats.
    Originally posted by mel.d.walker
    that seems to be an improvement to either end of the plane in middle seats
    There is a long thread here (with mixed views...some people will take the view that if they pay...why should someone else get the same for free)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5667860&highlight=ryanair+seating &page=16
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 12,888 Posts
    • 10,959 Thanks
    zagfles
    There is a distinct difference between a 'random allocation seating policy' and a system that is PURPOSEFULLY designed to seperate individuals.
    Originally posted by mel.d.walker
    Just join in with the musical chairs when boarding. Someone sat next to you will likely have a partner at the other end of the plane. It's all part of the game when travelling Ryanair.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 12,888 Posts
    • 10,959 Thanks
    zagfles
    Oooh...just found this site where you can apparently swap seats on Ryanair flights - I did suggest someone set one up. Not used it so don't know how good it is but the idea's brilliant!

Maybe one to get MSE to publicise if it works!

https://www.swapseat.net
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 18th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Ganga
    I pressume that the allocation of seats appart is to increase revenue by people paying extra to sit together,there is two ways to look at this.

1) increase the price of all fares to compensate for the loss of the money making seat allocation and this way MOST of the people will get the seats together ( if large parties of people might not always be able )

2) Carry on as is and let the people who want to sit together and are happy to pay extra do it,those who are not bothered can sit apart for a few hours.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I pressume that the allocation of seats appart is to increase revenue by people paying extra to sit together,there is two ways to look at this.

1) increase the price of all fares to compensate for the loss of the money making seat allocation and this way MOST of the people will get the seats together ( if large parties of people might not always be able )

2) Carry on as is and let the people who want to sit together and are happy to pay extra do it,those who are not bothered can sit apart for a few hours.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I'd prefer the latter option.
    But there will still be people who don't want to pay for seats together who moan about not being sat together.
    If we choose not to pay to be sat together - and we would not pay on a Ryanair flight as to us they're not long enough to get het up about - I really wouldn't care if the system allocated OH seat 1A and I was in 27F even if we were the only passengers on board.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12,888 Posts
    • 10,959 Thanks
    zagfles

Allocation of seats used to be about people wanting to choose particular seats, eg must have 16A & 16B, or for people who were paranoid about sitting together so needed to know for certain they'd be no more than a few inches away from their partner otherwise they'd have nightmares for weeks before their flight.

But for most people, they'd be fairly safe to assume they're likely to end up together if they check in early even if they don't pay to select. We've just booked on Easyjet, 5 of us, checked in 30 days before the flight, didn't pay to select seats, we're all sat together both ways.

Ryanair seem to have changed the game, now it would appear you'll almost certainly be separated if you don't pay. Well, that is, if you don't indulge in the pre-flight seat barter that seems to be a feature of Ryanair flights now. Maybe the above website will help avoid the delays this causes, I'm sure Ryanair will be eternally grateful to the website if it does!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Ganga
    Allocation of seats used to be about people wanting to choose particular seats, eg must have 16A & 16B, or for people who were paranoid about sitting together so needed to know for certain they'd be no more than a few inches away from their partner otherwise they'd have nightmares for weeks before their flight.

But for most people, they'd be fairly safe to assume they're likely to end up together if they check in early even if they don't pay to select. We've just booked on Easyjet, 5 of us, checked in 30 days before the flight, didn't pay to select seats, we're all sat together both ways.

Ryanair seem to have changed the game, now it would appear you'll almost certainly be separated if you don't pay. Well, that is, if you don't indulge in the pre-flight seat barter that seems to be a feature of Ryanair flights now. Maybe the above website will help avoid the delays this causes, I'm sure Ryanair will be eternally grateful to the website if it does!
    Originally posted by zagfles
    The problem is that flying used to expensive,i am sure many people on this forum if over a certain age will remember that time before Budget Airlines came along.Now with cheap flights it would seem that a lot of travellers want to fly for next to nothing and complain about being charged for baggage,seat selection etc.in my humble opinion they can not have it both ways,iether pay a reasonable price and have all the perks or pay rock bottom and select which options to add and at what price.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The problem is that flying used to expensive,i am sure many people on this forum if over a certain age will remember that time before Budget Airlines came along.Now with cheap flights it would seem that a lot of travellers want to fly for next to nothing and complain about being charged for baggage,seat selection etc.in my humble opinion they can not have it both ways,iether pay a reasonable price and have all the perks or pay rock bottom and select which options to add and at what price.
    So leave things as they are basically.
    Except there are people who won't pay for optional extras and complain when they don't get them.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Ganga
    So leave things as they are basically.
    Except there are people who won't pay for optional extras and complain when they don't get them.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Which is what i said above.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 52,386 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Which is what i said above.
    So leave things as they are basically
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Which is what I agreed with.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 19th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 12,888 Posts
    • 10,959 Thanks
    zagfles
    I'm not complaining. What did you interpret as a complaint? I said they're changing the game. That's what it is - a game. The business try to make as much as possible from the customer, the customer tries to get the product as cheap as possible.

If you don't understand that, then MSE isn't the right place for you. It's the whole point of MSE. In order to "win" the game, you need to understand what the game is, and what can help you win. Which is what I was pointing out above.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,905Posts Today

6,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mattallwright: I don?t think life is fair. I think we have to work to impose our idea of fairness on life. It doesn?t come pre-justiced?

• 3 tips to succeed if you want to start your own business, from me, an accidental entrepreneur... https://t.co/leamX59TY1

• My advice for budding entrepreneurs... why a good idea is a nightmare... https://t.co/eJaF2HPXxu

• Follow Martin