Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 6,799Posts
    • 39,724Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small mse things will you do this week? 05/02
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    What small mse things will you do this week? 05/02 5th Feb 18 at 6:40 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 5
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,338 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Although I shall be venturing out for lunch now.

My dear sweet hubs brought me my salmon wraps for lunch. Whole. Raw. Salmon. Filets. In bread.

I'll go the Asda I think.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 20,404 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Freezy Folk,
    Sleeting here. Late night last night, but no lie-in for us, thanks to cat who started a full on assault of our bedroom door accompanied by ear-busting yowling, which he kept up for half an hour without stopping.
    Anyway, a few money saving things, mostly garden-related & involving one of our favourite mantras on here.....'shop from home first':
    *Free fitness doing 2 hours of gardening. Physical stuff today, not just wafting about with the secateurs.
    *mr f emptied a compost bin so I can use the contents. Even though I still need to buy bagged compost for seed-sowing, growing on plant babies, etc, expenditure on this is greatly reduced by having 5 compost bins & making as much of our own as possible.
    *Tidied up strawberry plants - filled up gaps with new plants where the runners had rooted into the gravel, so freebie plants there.
    *More free plants obtained by rescuing 7 large self-sown foxglove plants from a bed which mr f is ear-marking for a series of bonfires.
    *Had a look at mr f's major garden project for this year.....basically, there is a 'spare' roughly 2 metre bit of land at the end of the gardens on our side of the road, which no longer belongs to anyone. Our neighbours on both sides have taken down their end boundary & 'claimed' this extra space. We intend to do the same. It will involve a lot of clearing, turfing, bonfires, etc, but will give us a better area for compost bins & will also consolidate our wildlife area, as well as giving us a slightly bigger garden for free. Lots of work for mr f, but he likes a project he can just go out & get on with.
    *Planted the snowdrops gifted to me yesterday by friend.
    *Collected up stray brassica collars, pots, troughs, greenhouse shading, fleece....basically anything which looked good enough to last another season rather than buying new.
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Did a few Toluna quick clicks to get my points going again after yesterday's cash-in.
    *Washing machine loaded for half price overnight wash tonight.
    *mr f set up gifted 2nd hand stereo for me in my little HQ room. Has been great for decluttering as well, as I previously had 2 radio CD players in there because only the CD worked on one, & only the radio on the other.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    * Two baths from one lot of hot water (bagsy me going in first!)
    *All free leisure.......reading my charity shop novel, knitting, read lovely gifted magazine & catch up on a bit of TV.
    Try not to stress about hospital appointment on Tuesday.
    Stay warm, Frugalistas. And keep your frozen little mitts on your pence! Shop from home first. It never fails to amaze me how many resources are hanging around at home. Every new bit of the decluttering I'm doing at the moment is turning up new 'treasure'.
    Love & peace to all,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 174
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

We've had a nice weekend and looking forward to a short week this week as we go away on Friday for a week

Yesterdays small things
    * Had a lovely lunch at my parents, can't beat a good feed and catch up!
    * Called into the co0p on the way back and picked up ys cauli and ys sprouts
    * Read some of my library book and watched a film from our stash for free entertainment
    * Collected ds2s new scooter, was ordered via a discount that my sis can get from work. A little saving although it was ds's saving rather then ours as it was bought with his Xmas/pocket money.

Todays small things
    * Read some more of my library book
    * Was going to the gym but changed it to a run around the block with ds2 at my side trying out his new scooter
    * Mr T delivery came so put the joint on to cook for lunch and arranged to meet my parents at the park to have a walk before lunch (took both kids scooters with us too )
    * Back home for Sunday lunch and plan for our time away next week as they're all joining us after a few days.

Now time for the rugby so whilst that's on I will
    ** Sew a hole I found in my hat this morning DONE
    ** Ds2 says his gloves could do with a bit sewing up so will do that too DONE - the "old" me would have been out buying new hats scarf and gloves!!

Also
    ** Make familes lunches for tomorrow DONE
    ** Tonights meal will be leftover chicken curry that I made on Friday. DONE
    ** Another mindfulness session on my new app. DONE
    ** My dad was going to the library so he's taken my books back and will collect mine and ds's that we've had on hold Also I've just reserved the next book ds1 will have. I love the library, the money we've saved since joining when ds was a baby

Enjoy the rest of your weekend all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-02-2018 at 6:38 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi February Fabulistas,

A lovely day off on a snowy day.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Did App.

* Checked online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Raided the freezer and consolidated all the half empty packets in there. (DW is a terrible one for opening new packets before using up old ones.) Found lots of inspiration within. Made Chicken Wellington with some forgotten chicken breast, a frozen jalepeno and puff pastry. Served with leftover-42-varieties-of-veg and some forgotten sweet potato chips. Also spotted two tupperware boxes of homemade soup which will do later in the week.

* Went for a free run along the promenade. Gotta keep up the SuperSnail persona.

* My running gloves have a wee pocket in them in which to keep a door key. I'm going to sew a press-stud on the pocket to guard against losing the key. I have press studs and thread in stores. Will sew next to the window so as not to put the light on.

* Made butterscotch whip (from packet) using smoothie maker. Inexpensive treat.

* Re-watch DVDs we already own: Oceans trilogy.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 11-02-2018 at 4:12 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 250

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 39,051 Thanks
    DawnW
    Although I shall be venturing out for lunch now.

My dear sweet hubs brought me my salmon wraps for lunch. Whole. Raw. Salmon. Filets. In bread.

I'll go the Asda I think.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Did he mistake it for smoked salmon I wonder??

* Raided the freezer and consolidated all the half empty packets in there. (DW is a terrible one for opening new packets before using up old ones.) Found lots of inspiration within. Made Chicken Wellington with some forgotten chicken breast, a frozen jalepeno and puff pastry. Served with leftover-42-varieties-of-veg and some forgotten sweet potato chips. Also spotted two tupperware boxes of homemade soup which will do later in the week.

Originally posted by allydowd
    I always do a freezer stocktake when I a running short of inspiration. I have a list, which I admit I am not very good at updating, but there is something about actually seeing what is in there, as opposed to seeing it written down, which sparks ideas

Fairly frugal day here. It is absolutely freezing, and snows / sleets intermittently with looking brighter, but with a really chilling wind. Getting dark now, so no longer even bright Went to a flea market this morning pretty early, in my neverending quest to find sales stock. Got a few bits, plus some very small personal spends (business spends are accounted for separately, for HMRC purposes) - a small plastic watering can for 20p and 1.50 for seed potatoes

Went out to lunch with DS, his GF and 2 of his children, which was very nice They cooked lunch, so I took some wine we already had, plus a couple of jars of HM chilli sauce, one of which he will pass on to a mutual friend who had asked for some. Gave 15 year old GD 10 pocket money for half term GS is 23 now and working in quite a good job, so don't do pocket money for him anymore

Came back and my brother had left the back door open, and it was freezing in here with the heating on full blast, so not very MSE there

Very little to report apart from that. Wood stove now alight, heating off, and it is toasty warm in here. Waiting for the kettle to boil for another cuppa
    NSDs for April: 9 / 15

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

906Posts Today

6,100Users online

Martin's Twitter