Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 4th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 288Thanks
    vetstudent
    Vetstudent buys a house!
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    Vetstudent buys a house! 4th Feb 18 at 10:10 PM
    Hi, Ive been reading your diaries for a while on here, and can finally start my own! I'm 24 and almost a veterinary doctor, and a entrepreneur with an online business too. I have just bought a 3 bed house as a renovation project with my fiance, who's also self employed. So budgeting is difficult as each month varies hugely for us!

We are yet to make the first mortgage payment, and I'm unsure yet if we will overpay or save what we can, as the mortgage is 1.59% but it would be nice to get the figure down! First DD due on the 20th, with a mortgage end date of Jan 2043

All savings currently going into the renovation, kitchen ordered yesterday, shower coming tomorrow, basin on Friday, and thankfully we have a working toilet in a separate room already as we havent ordered the bathroom toilet or bath yet!

The whole place needs a lot of work, we are expecting to spend around 12,500 more on it, though less would be great! We have done most of the rewiring and plumbing, ripped down most of the ceilings, and the bedroom ceiling has gone back up and been finished, but everywhere else needs plasterboarding. I have become a builder the last 2 weeks,and have learnt a lot, helping my dad do the work!

Anyway now sure what else to put for now, but it will be nice to have somewhere to write things, and record how we are getting on. Hopefully the house will be liveable soon, as I am off back to university tonight, and will be back at Easter to see how my dad and fiance are doing
    Mortgage start date 19 January 2018, end Jan 2043.
    Owed 38,000/38,000
Page 1
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 5th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Tropically
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    Welcome!! Congratulations on buying a house and on soon becoming a vet!!
    Mortgage started at 318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: 7000/7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - 297,808
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 5th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 42,933 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    Hi and welcome
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/9,626 paid so far

Mortgage 39,159.44 -4yrs 2 mths left. Total owed 52,364 plan to clear in 14 months
    • LadyGnome
    • By LadyGnome 5th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    LadyGnome
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    Hello and best of luck
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 310,000
    Feb 2018 237,821.60 Reduction 72,178.40
    MFW 2018 #42 788.90/3100
    End Oct Sept 2034 but I have a cunning plan...
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 5th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    Thank you, had a NSD today But the shower never arrived (though last night they text to say the delivery was today) and the company cant give me any info as the delivery office is shut after 5pm and I called at 10 past!
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 52,619 Posts
    • 206,466 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    Happy new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 6th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    Not such a NSD day today, bought a few bits for the dog, and a 120 part for the car I hope that this is the last thing the car needs, only had it serviced 2 weeks ago and had a few problems recently! The boot wont open, and I hope that the garage sort that while it's in, without costing too much!

My business is incredibly slow at the moment, want Christmas sales to hurry up and come around again, Nov and Dec were lovely! But I have caught up with some survey sites tonight, after spending the day at uni with the pigs. Pigs arent my favourite but it was a good day. Tomorrow is cats and dogs, more fun!

House wise the shower didnt get delivered today again, now they say Thursday as it wasnt put on the lorry. Wondering if this is a case for compensation, as we had everyone ready to plumb it in today which was a waste of time. However the !!!!!! ceiling is down, and they have finished running the wiring through for the shed. Another hole drilled in the very thick stone wall! This house loves breaking drill bits!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 42,933 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    I guess you had a pig of a day then! Sorry
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/9,626 paid so far

Mortgage 39,159.44 -4yrs 2 mths left. Total owed 52,364 plan to clear in 14 months
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 6th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    Lol! I wonder why the word par-lor is blocked out in my last message!
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 7th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Just looking at doing an SOA, but our incomes are variable, and currently all bills that can be paid yearly have been. So the task is to save up some money in an account to pay insurances etc when they come around again.
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • Helen_wilson
    • By Helen_wilson 7th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Helen_wilson
    It sure looks like your on the right track. Best of luck on your studies and congrats on your new house!
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 8th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Thank you

A few issues with the house this last week. 3 major deliveries havent arrive on time or have been wrong. First the shower drama - now it's coming tomorrow. The plumbing delivery was on a 24 hour delivery, that took 3 days. And the kitchen company phoned today to say the cooker hood was out of stock, though they told us it was showing as out of stock when we ordered, but all was fine as it was in stock in the next store. But no, today they have refunded for it, and Ive had to order elsewhere at 22 extra. Thankfully they are refunding the difference in price now! All fun!

Tomorrow we are expecting 4 deliveries by lorry now, hope they dont all arrive at once! Then need to go to town to buy the bath as the one I want is collection only.

Dont think we will be making a MOP for a while yet...
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 11th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Everything went ok on Friday in the end, all deliveries present and correct. Though the shower and sink arrived at the same time when only my fiance was home which was fun for him as neither lorry would come down the lane and they had to push the shower down on a pump truck. But we got a free pallet with the shower, which Im sure I can use for some sort of project...

Worked out yesterday that since buying the house, we have spent almost 10,000 on it, scary! And before the first mortgage payment has been made! Though that includes solicitors etc too.

Just been looking at buying a second hand boiler, there is one online that's miles away, but it's where my nan comes from, and she keeps mentioning wanting to go and visit relatives there, so we could take her on the trip. Just hope it doesnt sell for too much now!

Once we have a boiler we need radiators, looking at 400-450 on them I think. The pipes are almost all in position now so it wont be too difficult to get it all going once we have everything.

I am wondering whether we should OP now, or wait until the work is done. Our savings are quickly going down, but it is getting to the busy time of year for my OH in work.
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 12th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Had a good few days with my business, and the 500 cashback from the mortgage came through today Spent 6 on a top up shop today, but did a 63 online food order yesterday. That will fill up my new (refurbished and dented but cheap!) american fridge freezer when the food arrives

Car is back from garage, 100 labour to put on the new part it needed, but could have been worse if we had got the part from them and not online from Germany! OH has got a lot of work on for the next 3 weeks, so needs the car in top shape.

The house now has a plasterboarded ceiling in the kitchen and bathroom, which will soon be pink finished. Then to decide whether to use splashbacks or tiles on the bathroom walls, once they are plastered and levelled! Very off level right now And what to do with the kitchen floor, half is tiled which I hoped to put lino over but they arent as level as I thought. Dad says laminate, but with the dog I'm not sure if that's the best idea...
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 13th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    I was up late last night, got a good few surveys done, and am very close to a few cashouts

Paid my tax bill that's due in July, so that's out of the way! Was going to wait until closer but rather do it now so I dont have to worry until next Jan now.

I need approx 3300 saved for a bill on Sept 1st, otherwise not too much to pay out the rest of the year, bar renovation costs. Car insurance will be due in April, OH will pay that in one as the cash he gets from the yearly job next week pays it

Car Tax (190) due in July, musn't forget that. House insurance only just paid in Jan, and Im looking into pet insurance for the dog. We havent actually got our dog yet, but have been approved to get a rescue dog at the end of the month Already stocked up on everything else for her.

Water bill due again in April, that will be paid monthly then I think as it costs no more, but this time I paid in one go as it was only 2.5 months until the end of tax year. Council tax money sorted for this year

We are proper adults now So everyone at uni keeps telling me!
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 16th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Boiler bought, just under 500 second hand, but only 3 years old

The kitchen has been plastered today, so now that just needs to dry and be painted, and it's ready for the kitchen to go in when it's delivered on the 6th The floor is going to wait until after as we havent decided how to do it yet.

Next job is to plaster the bathroom, then to go and buy the bath, and I forgot taps for the basin so need them too.

Getting there slowly! Need an oil tank and radiators once we have collected the boiler, so another 1000 is going to vanish!

First mortgage payment goes out on the 20th, be nice to see it go down a little.
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 16th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    Well done on you beginning your MFW journey. The initial improvements are always a bit hit on your budget, but as long as they were needed, will be worth it. Although I tend to prefer living in the house for a while before doing renovations..

Any OP you can make on your mortgage will be worth it too, even rounding down your salary and paying the difference will make a difference. (My smallest OP was 80p but after 15 years it has all added up and looking forward to my last payment next month)

Without seeing your SOA it's difficult to estimate how quickly you could pay your mortgage off, but keep at it.
    Mortgage free
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 17th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Thank you, yes they were needed, except maybe knocking down walls, but we think they are improving the house. The rewiring and plumbing etc had to be done. It had old broken electric storage heaters, and barely any powerpoints. There was only a few filthy kitchen units and a disgusting old bathroom.

Congrats on paying off your mortgage! Im not even sure how to OP yet lol

Difficult to do a SOA right now as I would have no idea what to put as our incomes! Probably 60% of my income comes in November and December, which was a chunk of the deposit this year, and that will probably be when we do a lot of OPing this year
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 17th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    Just advised my brother to do a bank account switch to make some cash and realised it's time I did, so 125 will be mine soon for that
    Owed 38,000/38,000
    • vetstudent
    • By vetstudent 20th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    vetstudent
    First mortgage payment has gone out today Registered for online banking and need to wait for a letter so that I can update my signature with the new total.
    Owed 38,000/38,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

753Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter