Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adandem
    • By adandem 4th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,482Posts
    • 4,715Thanks
    adandem
    Unsuccessful tooth removal
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    Unsuccessful tooth removal 4th Feb 18 at 8:13 PM
    Hello, I went for a molar extraction last Tuesday (30th).
    Sadly there was an issue with the root and the tooth broke, the remainder of the tooth is still in my gum but it's exposed.
    I am waiting for a hospital appointment, my dentist said the nerve will die, I am experiencing pain. How long will it take for the nerve to die?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • SuperSaverfred
    • By SuperSaverfred 4th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SuperSaverfred
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    I once had a failed extraction were the root was left in as all the tooth broke away. I was given antibiotics and told to wait for hospital appointment it all calmed down and to this day its still in there not had any problems since so i said i will just leave it.

As for the root dieing im not sure anyone would be able to give a timescale on that sorry
    • adandem
    • By adandem 4th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    adandem
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    Thanks, the gum is healing well but the exposed tooth is causing pain. I'm very scared of going to the dentist so I'm really worried.
    • SuperSaverfred
    • By SuperSaverfred 4th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SuperSaverfred
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    Try not to worry ive had a difficult wisdom tooth removed at the hospital they are very experienced and you won't feel a thing. If your very worried you may be able to opt for sedation.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 11th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    adandem
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    Okay, needed to update my post as I'm really worried.
    It will be 2 weeks on Tuesday since the extraction. The area around the remaining tooth is healed but sore. The nerve pain is bad, I'm also getting pain in my jaw and ear.
    I'm on the maximum amount of painkillers, clove oil didn't work, it actually caused more pain.
    I am really worried, hospital appointment for surgical removal could still be weeks away. They have the option of referring me to another practice but it doesn't have the greatest reputation. I have another appointment with my dentist tomorrow.
    Any advice at all?
    • runninglea
    • By runninglea 11th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    runninglea
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    Need to be firm with the dentist tomorrow about how much pain you are in.

They did the same to me Nov 16 and the hospital appointment didn't happen until March 17.

I ended up on double dosage antibiotics until the nerve was covered and pain bearable.

People said its only toothache but I couldn't sleep, struggled to concentrate at work etc. Think I ended up with a mouthful of water in my mouth to ease the pain.
    Year 2018 (6,800/17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (62,100/165568) (37
    .6%) (34/100) payments made. Total paid 2018 year 6,800

Total paid 2017 year 15,300Total paid 2018 year 6,800
    • adandem
    • By adandem 11th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    adandem
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    Did your dentist cover the nerve?
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 11,326 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    There is nothing as bad as toothache. Ensure your dentist knows exactly how much pain you are in. If all else fails, ring NHS direct for further advice. I've only just got rid of my tooth pain and basically I had to stop using codeine and nothing else worked. Finally my dentist saw me as an emergency.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • adandem
    • By adandem 11th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    adandem
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    The pain goes from bearable to excruciating. I think I'm going to ask for the referral to the other practice. I certainly can't carry on like this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin