Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sparkybrit
    • By sparkybrit 4th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sparkybrit
    End of contract
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    End of contract 4th Feb 18 at 6:42 PM
    My Contract is up with Talktalk on April 8. Is it like a mobile phone or energy contract where you can move in the last month or do I have to wait till 8 April to switch Talktalk customer service is abysmal having just spent 14 days waiting for my line to be fixed I am keen to go asap

JD
    Charles J
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    If you leave prior to the last day of your minimum contract then you would have to pay the early termination fee.

Check the wording of their TS & CS on how and when you give them notice to leave
    • boatman
    • By boatman 5th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    Quentin is right, it's not a problem though, you can sign up to a new deal with another provider before that date, you just arrange for the installation and start of the new service on or after the 8th April. It normally takes a minimum of around 2 weeks to move providers, so you should be looking for a new provider mid March.

Strictly speaking you do not need to contact Talktalk at all, its all done by the new provider. Talktalk will send you a letter saying sorry you are leaving and you 'need' to contact us, but its really their way of getting you on the phone and they will try to get you to stay.
    Last edited by boatman; 05-02-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: ii
    • ilikebargains
    • By ilikebargains 5th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ilikebargains
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    You can contact talktalk and tell them you can get a better deal, If they can match that if not you can sign up with another provider, ask them to connect you on 7th April 2018 then you will just pay one day termination charge. I think Vodafone are doing 24 for fibre 76mb.
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 5th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Xenon
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    I was wondering the same thing as the OP - my Sky contract finishes on 2nd March

So i will contact another provider around middle of February if Sky don't play ball !
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    Takeover is normally 10 working days or two weeks.

I believe there is some variation between companies but when I called PlusNet on a Friday, the sales person calculated in working days,the following Monday being day1 and my migration was promised for the Friday of the next but one week (broadband being done on Saturday morning as up until noon it counts as Friday).
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 6th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    Hi Sparkybrit

If you contact us a month before the end of the contract we'll be able to take a look at your options for you then.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    Hi Sparkybrit

If you contact us a month before the end of the contract we'll be able to take a look at your options for you then.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Originally posted by TalkTalk
    I understand you are keen to persuade people to stay but there is no requirement for Sparkybrit to contact you, they have already said they wants to leave. Talktalk had their chance to impress the op when things went wrong, clearly you failed to do so, hence the thread asking how to leave.

Currently a good price for fibre broadband is Vodafone at 20 a month(unlimited broadband, but no phone call allowance), the feedback on Vodafone is not great, I'm certainly not recommending them, but its a price you should be aiming for. Keep an eye out on the MSE broadband deals page.
    • By 2010 6th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    I have been a Talktalk customer for ten years and my contract is up on the 23rd of this month.
    I have just contacted them via web chat and the very best broadband only deal they could offer is their "fast broadband" deal at 18-95,including line rental, for a two year contract.

I will of course be switching to Plusnet which has an offer on until the 20th Feb.
    If I leave it until the 18/19th to sign up, I should be out of contract with TT by the time everything goes through.

Talktalk doesn`t seem willing to keep their long time customers anymore by offering a better deal, so it`s bye,bye.

They may say they`ll "take a look at it" but they won`t budge from their current prices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

5,581Users online

Martin's Twitter