Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ClarkeKent
    • By ClarkeKent 4th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 50Thanks
    ClarkeKent
    Has tech hardware really come on in last 10 years?
    • 4th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    Has tech hardware really come on in last 10 years? 4th Feb 18 at 3:00 PM
    I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and was marveling at the future tech etc, but got me wondering has the last 10 years of hardware technology has really been that impressive?

What since 2008 has really been life changing, amazing technology?
    I know we have had smartphones, drones, voice-enabled devices, autonomous cars (beta) to name a few. but nothing I would view as, amazing.

I feel with the state of AI and machine learning as it is, we are perhaps on the cusp of very fast technology advancements over the next 10-20 years.

But, are we always too optimistic about what tech the future will bring?
    Last edited by ClarkeKent; 04-02-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Page 2
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 5th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    >What since 2008 has really been life changing, amazing technology?<

- Mobile phone CPU/display and GSM (4G/LTE), in 2008 playing 'snake' on 256x256 pixel display was the norm
    - Digital assistants in the home that can cope with natural language commands
    - Familial DNA, criminals can be found from matches with DNA of close relative
    - Usable electric vehicles like Tesla, incredible for those of us who remember the Sinclair C5
    - Skype, families can stay in touch globally at minimal cost
    - Amazon, pretty much anything you want can be bought online for delivery next day thanks to automation of supply-chain, robotic pick-n-pack
    - Office 365, for 11/month one women and her dog can have the same business IT as a FTSE100 company from mega data centres.
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 05-02-2018 at 1:58 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Under the hood there have been massive advances in almost everything over the last 10 years however to the user facing side of it there has only been a slow change. Unfortunately very few read news sources that cover the under the hood side of technology so are unaware of it.

The most obvious is the Raspberry Pi, a credit card sized computer that runs on an amp of power and has as much computing power as a PC from 10 years ago.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 10,106 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The most obvious is the Raspberry Pi, a credit card sized computer that runs on an amp of power and has as much computing power as a PC from 10 years ago.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    There is now a (hidden from the general public) entire class of microcomputers and microcontrollers - both in chip and module form. These appear in all sorts of shapes and sizes, essentially based on the various ways in which they will be operated, including the many, many applications that revolve around embedding in other equipment.

The other feature of this class of computing platform is price. We are still paying 300+ for a PC/Laptop Windows or Mac device. This class of devices start with chips and modules that cost less than 1.

For anyone interested, see: Arduino, ARM and PIC.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 05-02-2018 at 6:25 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ClarkeKent
    • By ClarkeKent 25th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ClarkeKent
    A couple of years ago I posted something similar on Facebook regarding the OS UI on most desktop machines.

I can list a lot of major tech evolutions (especially in PC hardware and software) which I can remember from the 1990's and early 2000's, but since then things really seem to have been a gradual evolution rather than any huge breakthroughs.

The thing I have really appreciated over the last 10 years however is the development and ease of use of cloud storage apps such as Dropbox etc. Everything I receive digitally is now immediately stored on the cloud meaning it is instantly backed up with revision history and deleted file recovery and is then immediately accessable on every other device I own including my work PC.

I also now run a Plex media server from home which means I can access all my music and movies on the go so I don't need any physical CD's or DVD's cluttering up the cars or the house.

Both of the above together means that I have not had to carry any kind of physical storage around with me for at least the last 6 or 7 years.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    Exactly, my point is. You see films set in the future Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell, Back to the Future 2 etc and you think of all the advancements in the future.

But in reality I think we always over-predict tech advancements. I mean, if you were shown todays world in 2008 would you really be that blown away? I don't think I would
    • prowla
    • By prowla 25th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 9,819 Posts
    • 7,913 Thanks
    prowla
    These are the significant advances which immediately come to mind:
    • fast internet,
    • smart phones,
    • HDTV,
    • the start of electric cars becoming mainstream,
    • Cloud computing,
    • large storage capacities,
    • online services.
    On the flipside, computers themselves haven't fundamentally changed, still the same old CPU/RAM/disk von Neumann architecture and a GUI pasted onto the front of a30-40 year old OS (the leading OS was written in the 1970s and the other main one evolved from a single-user program loader).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter