Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 4th Feb 18, 2:03 PM
    • 4,717Posts
    • 1,753Thanks
    knightstyle
    Housing market?
    • 4th Feb 18, 2:03 PM
    Housing market? 4th Feb 18 at 2:03 PM
    I know many say that the market is depressed but here in NE Lincs/Notts things seem to be moving fast.
    DD just sold in 8 days and friends sold/bought in 3 days! Not exchanged yet but lots of interest in each case.
    Plus our friends offered £5k over the asking to secure their dream house the same day as it came to the market.
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No, generally people who understand value in housing probably have a particular talent for that or have worked really hard to improve their knowledge in the area. EA just a sales person, EAs work on being better sales people and general public usually dont understand value of many things tbh.
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111

The bankers played a blinder in adjusting most people`s perceptions of "value" in housing up, way up even I have to give them some credit (no pun intended) for that!
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 11th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    "Everyone"? I seriously doubt that, if the business isn`t viable it just isn`t viable, and lenders will be tight, LTD co. or not IMO.

"At the same time, real rents have fallen 4.4% across the UK, it claimed"

And of course rising rates will push over-leveraged BTL out of the game before they can figure out what a LTD co. is, and of course this is what the PTB are now aiming for
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Thats your opinion, you have no actually knowledge of the housing market, clearly shown by the years you have been claiming a crash is coming. A business can be viable in a limited company as it is not subject to the same taxation, in fact if you do it the right way and are a 40% tax payer because of the obscure new taxation it can make the difference between the business making a loss to it making a healthy profit. That may of course change in the future but at the moment this is the case..

Different people have different ways of raising money and I would agree for the massively in debt the days of BTL are numbered but that is a small minority.

Where are these rate rises? all we have seen is rates return to 0.5% after a knee-jerk drop after the Brexit vote.. Carney has been promising rises for ages but every time it comes to it they find an excuse not to raise rates... Although rates will likely raise they will not be rising fast, maybe go up to 3% in the next 5 years, Any landlords that can't handle this rise have not done enough due diligence...
    • lizphilip8
    • By lizphilip8 12th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lizphilip8
    I totally agree with Gwendo.

Housing price varies from one location to another. My sister has a house in Cambridge. Previously she intended to buy in Peterborough. There was a huge difference in price and we believe location played a major role in that.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.propertyforum.com/property-in-the-uk/uk-house-prices-show-first-annual-decline-six-years.html

They are spot on about negative press coverage affecting sentiment.
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 12th Feb 18, 9:03 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    jimbog
    I totally agree with Gwendo.

Housing price varies from one location to another. My sister has a house in Cambridge. Previously she intended to buy in Peterborough. There was a huge difference in price and we believe location played a major role in that.
    Originally posted by lizphilip8
    Absolutely the case. Cambridge, in particular the Science Park, has a great pull on talent
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Absolutely the case. Cambridge, in particular the Science Park, has a great pull on talent
    Originally posted by jimbog

How is Brexit going to affect that though?
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 13th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    How is Brexit going to affect that though?
    Good question, really depends on the deal, we still have no idea what it will be.. The government might decide to inject money into these sorts of areas so it might go up, on the other flip side it might go down...

Both Cambridge and Oxford house prices are relatively high because of the universities, I don't think Brexit will stop foreign students coming to these universities... Will they be able to stay, I would hope so, in which case its unlikely to have as big of an effect on house prices in these areas as maybe other areas.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Thats your opinion, you have no actually knowledge of the housing market, clearly shown by the years you have been claiming a crash is coming. A business can be viable in a limited company as it is not subject to the same taxation, in fact if you do it the right way and are a 40% tax payer because of the obscure new taxation it can make the difference between the business making a loss to it making a healthy profit. That may of course change in the future but at the moment this is the case..

Different people have different ways of raising money and I would agree for the massively in debt the days of BTL are numbered but that is a small minority.

Where are these rate rises? all we have seen is rates return to 0.5% after a knee-jerk drop after the Brexit vote.. Carney has been promising rises for ages but every time it comes to it they find an excuse not to raise rates... Although rates will likely raise they will not be rising fast, maybe go up to 3% in the next 5 years, Any landlords that can't handle this rise have not done enough due diligence...
    Originally posted by buggy_boy

You don`t know this though, you are speculating, the best informed talking heads on Bloomberg don`t know this either, they are speculating, but one thing is sure all the media buzz is about rising rates now, whereas before it was about co-ordinated central bank efforts to keep rates low, that is something to take seriously if you are thinking of splashing out big debt on a property IMO. Also do you think the sorts of people who dived into BTL for a bit of tax free cash in hand rent from a mate of a mate are going to bother with the hassle of becoming a Ltd co, and put themselves on the HMRC radar by doing so? Many will sell up, and many won`t bother in the first place IMO.
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 13th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    jimbog

Both Cambridge and Oxford house prices are relatively high because of the universities, I don't think Brexit will stop foreign students coming to these universities... Will they be able to stay, I would hope so, in which case its unlikely to have as big of an effect on house prices in these areas as maybe other areas.
    This is very much the case - the demand for places at Oxbridge always exceeds the places available
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • ognum
    • By ognum 13th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    ognum
    This is very much the case - the demand for places at Oxbridge always exceeds the places available
    Originally posted by jimbog
    Seems to me you know little about housing in Cambridge.

Student at Cambridge University are almost wholly housed in College accommodation. That is what the college system at Cambridge’s University is for, accommodation and tutorial support.

Housing in Cambridge I see not expensive because of the University staff, they are for the most part on average wages. The issue in Cambridge dirt isn’t the amount of property owned by the University and the Colleges.

The high paid workers are almost all employed in High Tech, Drug development and industries base do on the Science Park or on the Addenbrookes Park.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 13th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    You don`t know this though, you are speculating, the best informed talking heads on Bloomberg don`t know this either, they are speculating, but one thing is sure all the media buzz is about rising rates now, whereas before it was about co-ordinated central bank efforts to keep rates low, that is something to take seriously if you are thinking of splashing out big debt on a property IMO. Also do you think the sorts of people who dived into BTL for a bit of tax free cash in hand rent from a mate of a mate are going to bother with the hassle of becoming a Ltd co, and put themselves on the HMRC radar by doing so? Many will sell up, and many won`t bother in the first place IMO.

You think rates are going to suddenly shoot up then do you? yes its a guess but its an educated guess based on economic predictions and the facts the government owes loads of money so is unlikely to want to see rates rise and we have brexit coming up, its unlikely the BoE will want to see a massive jump in interest rates.

Actually the media is talking about two rate rises this year, thats likely to be all of 0.5%, all the media reports are based on Carney's comments, however if you look back over the last few years Carney has been warning of the same thing however always finds an excuse not to raise rates.

How many landlords get cash in hand from a mate of a mate? Where are your stats, I just can't see this being true.. buying of BTL in company structure has rocketed, buying a property in a ltd company does not put you any more in the radar of HMRC, there are more opportunities as a 40% tax payer to be tax efficient. The PRS is changing, probably for the better, the amateurs are being driven out and the risky high LTV is not going to work any more. That does not mean it is dead, people who inherit property and more professional landlords are adapting.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time

Student at Cambridge University are almost wholly housed in College accommodation. That is what the college system at Cambridge’s University is for, accommodation and tutorial support.

Housing in Cambridge I see not expensive because of the University staff, they are for the most part on average wages. The issue in Cambridge dirt isn’t the amount of property owned by the University and the Colleges.

The high paid workers are almost all employed in High Tech, Drug development and industries base do on the Science Park or on the Addenbrookes Park.
    Originally posted by ognum

Yep, and add the backdrop of a credit driven property bubble and these "super desirable" places to live and work shoot up in price, both Cambridge and Oxford markets could turn very quickly IMO.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You think rates are going to suddenly shoot up then do you? yes its a guess but its an educated guess based on economic predictions and the facts the government owes loads of money so is unlikely to want to see rates rise and we have brexit coming up, its unlikely the BoE will want to see a massive jump in interest rates.

Actually the media is talking about two rate rises this year, thats likely to be all of 0.5%, all the media reports are based on Carney's comments, however if you look back over the last few years Carney has been warning of the same thing however always finds an excuse not to raise rates.

How many landlords get cash in hand from a mate of a mate? Where are your stats, I just can't see this being true.. buying of BTL in company structure has rocketed, buying a property in a ltd company does not put you any more in the radar of HMRC, there are more opportunities as a 40% tax payer to be tax efficient. The PRS is changing, probably for the better, the amateurs are being driven out and the risky high LTV is not going to work any more. That does not mean it is dead, people who inherit property and more professional landlords are adapting.

That is not how global currency/bond markets work though is it, or no country would ever be in trouble with it`s debt or even suffer a downturn if they could just hold rates low forever? It`s obvious the BOE don`t WANT rates to spike up, neither do masses of over-indebted UK residents, but that doesn`t mean rates CAN`T jump up does it?
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 22nd Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Sorry to drag this up, but for those that get annoyed by Crashy, here is a prime example of him being wrong....

So basically Crashy was saying rates are about to rise now and sharply, this was based on reports that Carney was saying rates are about to rise and everyone saying it will happen in may....

My argument was Carney has been doing this for years, saying a rate rise is coming and then finding an excuse not to raise rates...

Guess what, that fab-belled rate rise that was a dead cert and had Crashy so excited.....

Carney: Brexit uncertainty could delay interest rate rise
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 22nd Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Sorry to drag this up, but for those that get annoyed by Crashy, here is a prime example of him being wrong....

So basically Crashy was saying rates are about to rise now and sharply, this was based on reports that Carney was saying rates are about to rise and everyone saying it will happen in may....

My argument was Carney has been doing this for years, saying a rate rise is coming and then finding an excuse not to raise rates...

Guess what, that fab-belled rate rise that was a dead cert and had Crashy so excited.....

Carney: Brexit uncertainty could delay interest rate rise

Well it is still April, and I said that the U.S want to "normalise" rates, not Carney, he will just follow at some point, and that transactions were down 20% without rate rises, and that if they can`t raise rates after all the emergency intervention by central banks we are in very bad shape economically A recession will kill house prices quicker than 0.25 base rate rises any day of the week
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 22nd Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    AFF8879
    I live in zone 2 in London, where the local market is incredibly slow with lots of reductions. Imagine my surprise when I recently remortgaged, and HSBC valued my flat at over 10% more than when I bought it two years ago. I'm guessing the banks must be heavily competing for mortgage customers given the slowdown....
    • MF2015
    • By MF2015 22nd Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    MF2015

Originally posted by ognum
    Simply not true. Until recently my wife was in the finance team for a group of estate agents and lettings companies.

The head of rentals was doing VERY well renting new build apartments in the city, off plan, to foreign students. They are paying upwards of £2000 a month and paying 12 month of rent at a time, in cash.

Also wealthy parents are buying houses in the city for their children to stay while they attend the university, foreign money coming into the city that is not subject to UK tax law.

This has had a rippling effect going out of the city putting the prices of everything up and I can't see it ending any time soon.

• buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 22nd Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Well it is still April, and I said that the U.S want to "normalise" rates, not Carney, he will just follow at some point, and that transactions were down 20% without rate rises, and that if they can`t raise rates after all the emergency intervention by central banks we are in very bad shape economically A recession will kill house prices quicker than 0.25 base rate rises any day of the week
    Sorry have you moved the goal posts again, you kept saying and posted links about rates increasing... Now thats not looking likely what you meant was U.S rates. You are full of c**p.

So your totally amazing predicting is that rates will rise at some point, WOW, tell me what follows day?

Agh now its going to be the economy going south... Really...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-economy-to-grow-quicker-than-expected-in-2018-jpmorgan-asset-management-2018-4
    • 51mm5
    • By 51mm5 23rd Apr 18, 8:59 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    51mm5
    Crashy is just like a slippery eel and will never address your points and just move into the next cause of house price crash like his desperate chums at hpc. Let!!!8217;s list the predictions :

House prices will crash in 2004 - 2017 now 2018
    BOE Interest rates will rise inline with US Fed
    DOW Jones drop in Feb 2018
    Massive BOE Interest rates rise
    Brexit
    Trump
    Corbyn as PM
    House Sales and transactions crash
    MMR
    Basel 3
    Section 24
    Wars
    Armageddon
    Meteor strike
    Sun imploding

While most of us recognise house prices will crash at some point or some of the above could occur we just get on with our lives and enjoy our homes. House prices may or may not happen within ones lifetime and even if it did impact may be minimal for most. Feel free to add to the list Crashy
    Last edited by 51mm5; 25-04-2018 at 4:45 PM.
    • ognum
    • By ognum 23rd Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    ognum
    Simply not true. Until recently my wife was in the finance team for a group of estate agents and lettings companies.

The head of rentals was doing VERY well renting new build apartments in the city, off plan, to foreign students. They are paying upwards of £2000 a month and paying 12 month of rent at a time, in cash.

Also wealthy parents are buying houses in the city for their children to stay while they attend the university, foreign money coming into the city that is not subject to UK tax law.

This has had a rippling effect going out of the city putting the prices of everything up and I can't see it ending any time soon.
    Originally posted by MF2015
    How do you account for the number of reduced houses on the market , both new and used properties than.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,664Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin