Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 4th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 3,080Posts
    • 3,333Thanks
    littleredhen
    Wimbledon College of Art interview - help
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    Wimbledon College of Art interview - help 4th Feb 18 at 8:01 AM
    My daughter has an interview 9am - 3pm at the above uni but we live in Scotland so here are my issues

1. the date is soon so we haven't been able to access cheap train travel
    2. if she goes to stay with my sister in Reading the night before she has to change in London - tube etc
    3. if she doesn't stay at my sisters we have to find accommodation (cost)
    4. she suffers with mental health issues, one of which is severe anxiety
    5. money is an issue at the moment for me
    6. her current school of art told her to apply as she very likely to be accepted, she missed her exam years at school because of mental health but has attended her school of art nearly everyday, which has been a miracle
    7. if I can't find the money for her to do the interview it will be so tough on her although in reality I don't think she would even be able to cope going there
    8. she has applied to Scottish uni's which are free but obviously not guaranteed a place and the interviews for them are after the Wimbledon one

I am not sure what my question is but some support would be really appreciated to help me unravel this
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 7
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 33,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    I think that is a fair point. When we visited universities it was important for us to get a feel for the staff passion and drive for their subject as I know that plays a big part in motivating students when the going gets tough.

At all the ones we visited (RG) the staff who would be teaching the course were available to speak to and they gave tours of their facilities (this was for Chemical Engineering). My son also wanted to discuss Industrial Placements and their links to employers who did that.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    We're in the process of visiting for my eldest. He's visited 3 so far, I went to one, Mr S has gone to all 3, they've all done as you've described and these are ex polys.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 8th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 7,596 Thanks
    deannatrois
    My son only met the lead tutor on the course. He was responsible for all the items my son was particularly interested in on the course. Unfortunately, he left by the time the course started, he doesn't get on with any of the tutors and he doesn't know if the second and third year will have the options he was most interested in, and selected that university for.

Unfortunately things can change. If at all possible I think it helps if you know you have met more than one tutor involved on the course.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    It was a Saturday so Iíd assume no lectures were taking place, especially as it was a designated Open Day. My child didnít want to know about the sports facilities on campus, or how many restaurants they had. Thatís what the sales people were about. My child wasnít interested in the sales people, there were plenty there.

They were interested in the curriculum, the options available to them on the degree, the ability to switch from batchelor to masters. Things the lecturers would know. The sales people, when asked, said it depending on the subject. My child was interested in two very similar subjects, both from the same faculty, at this particular uni. We couldnít get the answers on an open day weíd travelled 150 miles to get to!
    Originally posted by Cheeseface
    Giving lectures is only a small part of the academic staff's role - the rest of which may well be done at the weekend.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,333 Thanks
    littleredhen
    This isn't the case for Art and Design related degrees. All bar one of my DD's uni choices is entry by portfolio and interview.

The other one requires submission of an electronic portfolio but doesn't interview due to the volume of applications it receives.

This applies to all applicants equally.
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    Yes you are right, my daughter has had to submit her portfolio and then is (or is not) being offered interviews

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,333 Thanks
    littleredhen
    So she has now heard from Aberdeen (interview arranged) and Glasgow (interview also arranged) she is just waiting to submit her portfolio to Dundee (deadline is 12th) so I am shelving the Wimbledon interview because realistically she can't afford to go there for three years especially when Scottish universities are free, her student support here in Edinburgh is confident she will get offered a place here now she has been offered interviews.
    Having said all that she is not happy that I am saying no to travelling to London but she doesn't have any money and I can't afford the interview to London as well as the other interviews I have to pay out for.
    Thank you to everyone for their helpful suggestions and support

• Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 8th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    I'm sure you have made the right decision.

Your daughter has learned she can't have everything she wants, and I hope she realizes if she hadn't spent her money then she could have afforded to travel to London.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,333 Thanks
    littleredhen
    I'm sure you have made the right decision.

Your daughter has learned she can't have everything she wants, and I hope she realizes if she hadn't spent her money then she could have afforded to travel to London.
    Originally posted by Grumpelstiltskin
    No yet but she will do!

• CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 8th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    Yes you are right, my daughter has had to submit her portfolio and then is (or is not) being offered interviews
    Originally posted by littleredhen
    Good luck to your daughter! My DD's finished her interviews and had her offers back so just the small matter of getting her grades, which is a whole other load of stress.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Well done for being the voice of reason - studying in London (in her situation) was never going to be a viable option, IMO. All the best for her interviews in Scotland.!!!55357;!!!56832;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter