Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 4th Feb 18, 1:22 AM
    • 68Posts
    • 9Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Does the uk have a 'rust belt state'
    • 4th Feb 18, 1:22 AM
    Does the uk have a 'rust belt state' 4th Feb 18 at 1:22 AM
    If I was choosing, I'd choose Lincolnshire, or Mansfield, or the Black country.
    What would you choose?
Page 2
    • Redknapps Dog
    • By Redknapps Dog 5th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    Redknapps Dog
    I see your from Lincolnshire. Beautiful land locked county, so please don't take it personally.

The broader definition I think part of it falls within

'Rust refers to the deindustrialization, or economic decline, population loss, and urban decay due to the shrinking of its once-powerful industrial sector.'

There is a huge downward pressure on wages in the area, an increasing migrant workforce in the farms, quite a transient population with younger people moving away, big areas on decline/depravation.
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83

Lincolnshire has about 50 miles of coast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_coast
    • ipod killed the musicshop
    • By ipod killed the musicshop 5th Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    ipod killed the musicshop
    You mean the Potteries, which now votes ukip?
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    That's a good example of the North Midlands, though I'm not in the loop with the place politically. Although more Central Midlands, I would say Northern Warwickshire (which includes North Warwickshire and Nuneaton) is a typically rustbelt place. Blair and Brown let the place down big time and it's still reeling from that.
    Vodafone let off millions in tax, George Osborne avoids tax, Tories wanted to give a tax break to the richest 3000 estates in the country. If you believe the cuts are because of the deficit, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 8,818 Thanks
    pogofish
    I've never understood why housing is not built on brownfield sites, all the power and water is already there, as are the roads.
    We have a perfect site to convert in the town I live in and yet it is being ignored for a green site on the edge of town with no facilites or roads.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

IME its because developers can nearly always make more money from greenfield sites and sell the properties much more quickly, a few stellar-priced cities/inner cities excepted of course.

Then there is the touchy issue of land restitution after industrial use - many ex-industrial sites have long-term, un/poorly-documented issues with waste/toxins that can leave developers with a whole can-o-worms of cleanup issues, sometimes not fully apparent at the time of construction.
    Last edited by pogofish; 05-02-2018 at 5:39 PM.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 5th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Lincolnshire has about 50 miles of coast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_coast
    Originally posted by Redknapps Dog
    I mentioned that in my post #16
    No reply back yet though
    Have a nice day
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12,309 Posts
    • 27,005 Thanks
    andygb
    I think the equivalent of the "rust belt" in the UK, would be areas such as South Wales and Sheffield with the steel industry, the North East and South Wales with the coal industry.
    The decline/closure of both these industries has had a catastrphic effect on communities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin