Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hightara
    • By hightara 3rd Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 196Posts
    • 137Thanks
    hightara
    SCAM....... not real talktalk
    • 3rd Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    SCAM....... not real talktalk 3rd Feb 18 at 10:35 PM
    Could not believe I got so far into this phone call.
    I had raised an issue on the talktalk community about my wifi.

Got a call from talktalk.........only it WAS NOT.....they had so many details, I followed their instructions to reset my router etc.

I waited for a couple of minutes.......for them to update my router. (talktalk do this themselves......no download for updates)

They directed me to msconfig. and to type in a www. url. something .I know, I know in hind site, alarm bells should have been ringing. I seen my cursor overtaken.

Shut down my computer immediately and wifi......thankfully I had nothing on my computer regarding my bank details, etc.

I then told my credit card company, talktalk and bank what happened while I was reinstalling my system.

I have the latest anti virus and malware running I shut down and booted into safe mode. Wiped my computer.

Just me being dumb when distracted, never thought I could have been so foolish.
    Last edited by hightara; 03-02-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Page 2
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    Whoosh!

Company reps never fail to spot sarcasm.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 9th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Hi Pappa Golf,

Unfortunately not - but suppliers do usually have things like this in place to combat scam calls. Your best bet would be to contact your ISP about this, and see what they have.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    Originally posted by TalkTalk

nothing to do with my ISP , (who mentioned internet?) my details including my name , address and banking details were passed over to scammers by talk talk , not my present phone supplier
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 10th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi Pappa Golf,

If you're not currently with TalkTalk, it would have to be your current provider who blocks the numbers from their network, but if you'd like to take this further with us, you can find our complaints process on our help pages on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    your help and assistance after being hacked was pitiful, allowing your customers to have 12mth access to noddle "alert" was in itself a joke , as even talk talk do not report to this CRA

lov the way your shares are dropping , hopefully due to peoples memories you will disappear

PS , notice change of name , have you all asked for permission to post , or are you going under a "blanket" thing ?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,036 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Feel a little as if I am doing TalkTalk's job for them here but, as any of their customers past or present know, they need all the help they can get.

There were 4 or 5 weeks last year when we must have had at least half a dozen scam calls every week. I gave up reporting the numbers to TalkTalk because they did not seem interested however, the advice I received from them was the same every time: "We will never call unless it is prearranged such as when you report a fault or make a complaint. If we do call you, it will only ever be between the times agreed, e.g. 2-4 p.m."

So, if you have neither an open fault nor complaint with TT and someone claiming to be from there calls you, hang up and block the number. Last call barring is a very useful feature which TT provide free of charge. Not all operators do.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Estelle77
    • By Estelle77 21st Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Estelle77
    Real or bogus TalkTalk - equally bad service. I have had a 'funny' experience. Wanted to switch to Talk Talk via a comparison website. It did not let me register, some detail was not to the system's like - did not tell me which detail: name, birth date, password... I assume it was the password as it did not go through the customer service woman (Woman, you will hear about her again) either. When offering a different password it worked for her to create an account for me. I keep the chats transcripts. It is always ME who initiates communication like this, I don't give my personal details to anyone who calls me out of blue. So we agreed on the contract - just to receive an e-mail of a more expensive one and also set-up fees, which was not part of the deal I applied for. So I spoke to them the next day - they confirmed they changed it to the contract I applied for, just to find out another day that the old wrong deal was still there. So I initiated the online chat again. The first soul was fine, forwarded me to the cancellation team, where there was the Woman again. She seems to be in cancellation and subscription team at once. She confirmed the wrong order was cancelled and I can apply for another one. But no, I could not as the old one was still live. She told me to wait 24 hours. I did. 36 hours later it was still there. I was fed up. I want to go back to my old provider. At least they always did as they said! So I complained to the company and they finally seemed to act accordingly. The wrong deal was finally cancelled and I was free to continue a new contract with my good old provider. A bit more expensive, but not much and so-so reliable. Based on this experience I am done with Talktalk forever. Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin