Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pledgeX
    • By pledgeX 3rd Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 481Posts
    • 130Thanks
    pledgeX
    Medical insurance
    • 3rd Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    Medical insurance 3rd Feb 18 at 8:10 PM
    I've just got a letter through the post from HMRC regarding my tax code as it's just changed due to me applying for my marriage allowance transfer.

Everything looks fine except that I've got 117 'Less medical insurance' mentioned on the letter. I don't get private medical insurance at work, so I'm not sure why it's there. I think I get a form of life assurance with work, but I don't pay any contributions towards it and don't think this would be categorised as medial insurance anyway. I did get private medical insurance from a previous company, but that was a few years ago now.

Could this mean anything else, or is likely to be a mistake on HMRC's part? If it is a mistake, is it something I will need to correct, or is it just one of those things that will correct itself at the end of the tax year?

Apologies if this is not the right place. It's not really about cutting tax, but I figured this is probably the most appropriate sub-forum.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 19,896 Posts
    • 15,602 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    If it is a mistake, as seems likely, there's no reason why it would correct itself, so you should ring HMRC to get it corrected (it's possible you might be able to do it from your online tax account, but that's not something I'm knowledgable about).
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 4th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 4th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    Tell HMRC now (before the end of this tax year on 5 April) otherwise you will have one less year you can claim back. Not sure you can do the historical years online.
    • pledgeX
    • By pledgeX 4th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    pledgeX
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    Thanks folks. I just went on the HMRC live chat and it they corrected it within a couple of minutes at nearly 10pm on a Sunday evening. Very impressive service
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 19,896 Posts
    • 15,602 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    Thanks folks. I just went on the HMRC live chat and it they corrected it within a couple of minutes at nearly 10pm on a Sunday evening. Very impressive service
    Originally posted by pledgeX

That's good news, glad they sorted it quickly. I suspect that you had fortunate timing, they are probably keeping the live chat open for longer because of the tax return deadline and you must have got them at a time when there weren't a lot of other people wanting help.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 5th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 9,979 Posts
    • 18,456 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    Originally posted by pledgeX
    Make sure you remember to wait for a corrected notice of coding in the post in the next week or two and then check your next payslip is using the correct code. There are times when what they say and what they do are different - sometimes they don't actually correct it at all, despite saying that they have done. Worth remembering to check.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 12th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,581 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    You could sign up for the Personal tax account online. This will give you the opportunity to mahe/request adjustments to your tax code online, check/adjust your estimated income, review previous tax calculations, update medical insurance and company cars, request repayments, print out employment history/pay and tax details, check national insurance contribution details, review your self assessment record, view your state pension forecast, pay underpaid tax, update your tax credits claim and submit tax credit renewals, apply for and check pension contribution lifetime allowance, submit forms online to claim refunds, expenses, tax refunds from pension lump sums, tax refunds from investment income and lots more.

Available 24/7.

Go to gov. uk and search for Personal Tax Account
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    You could sign up for the Personal tax account online. This will give you the opportunity to mahe/request adjustments to your tax code online, check/adjust your estimated income, review previous tax calculations, update medical insurance and company cars, request repayments, print out employment history/pay and tax details, check national insurance contribution details, review your self assessment record, view your state pension forecast, pay underpaid tax, update your tax credits claim and submit tax credit renewals, apply for and check pension contribution lifetime allowance, submit forms online to claim refunds, expenses, tax refunds from pension lump sums, tax refunds from investment income and lots more.

Available 24/7.

Go to gov. uk and search for Personal Tax Account
    Originally posted by dori2o

Do you work for the HMRC?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 19,896 Posts
    • 15,602 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    Do you work for the HMRC?
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Even a cursory review of dori2o's previous posts would quickly reveal that the answer to your question is a resounding Yes.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Even a cursory review of dori2o's previous posts would quickly reveal that the answer to your question is a resounding Yes.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Surely they learned how to use paragraphs by now
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 19,896 Posts
    • 15,602 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Surely they learned how to use paragraphs by now
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    The post does use paragraphs. If you are complaining that the first paragraph is a block of text then the answer would be a bullet pointed list, additional paragraphs would not be the correct grammatical solution.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin